AMD's Phenom II Is Tempting Me - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-13-2009, 10:55 AM   #1
Regular

Region: Tennessee
AMD's Phenom II Is Tempting Me

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 920 2.8GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Not a bad price at all for Quad Core 2.8 GHZ.....

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2009, 12:46 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1
Re: AMD's Phenom II Is Tempting Me

I kindof want one, too. I've got to get a year out of my current setup, though.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:50 AM   #3
Regular

I've resisted buying one for my music server so far.

Reddit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2009, 11:54 AM   #4

Region: California

Amd is garbage, Have some self respect and get something with a new i7
Old 02-14-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Mustang GT HO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDT12 View Post
+1.

I have a Q6600 O-clocked @ 3.25Ghz. The damn thing flys, Same price plus Intel is better IMHO. AMD is garbage, like Kamaroz.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:55 PM   #6

Well said I rock a quad core Extreme O-C'ed to 3.2 liquid cooled and 2 GTX 280's also independantly liquid cooled. Intel is the Shelby of the computer market!!!
Old 02-14-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Jesus. I have 2 8800 GTS SSC's. I need to overhaul my entire rig. **** was old before I put it in there. lol
Old 02-14-2009, 03:06 PM   #8
Regular

Quote:
Whats so garbage about it? I've run many AMD machines with no problem

Reddit
Old 02-15-2009, 12:26 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

xbox sux lol ps3 ownz
ThaWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:57 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

i've been resisting upgrading my pc for quite a while now despite the plethora of tempting newegg sales (especially around the holidays)

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:57 PM   #11

I to have owned a AMD machine or two but my dislike of them comes from a history of rushed design and engineering and lack of adequate driver support. A while back they tried to put put out a quad core processor that due to a malfunction in their fabrication process caused one of the cores to be dead and un-usable.

AMD still marked the chip as a 3 core processor. They did this to compete with Intel's Quad core processor which was at the top of the market curve at the time. Who in their right mind would pay 500 dollars for a chip that at any moment could loose the other three cores functionality with no warning?

Thats like selling a four chambered carb. With one chamber welded shut!!! AMD pitches “affordable power” and thats what it is. Second rate un reliable junk with flawed drivers and non knowledgeable tec support. That is the reason its cheaper than Intel hardware of the same caliber.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:15 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

****'s getting deep in here...

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

My ex-girlfriends 6 banger mustang overheated and blew the head gasket and so did my sisters, ford is unreliable cheap junk. buy chevy
Old 02-15-2009, 03:32 PM   #14

Perhaps you should teach your x and your sister how to properly care for their cars.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:40 PM   #15
Regular

Quote:
Perhaps you should teach your x and your sister how to properly care for their cars.
94-96 V6 Mustangs are notorious for blowing head gaskets due to faulty design.

The Phenom II isn't the original Phenom. Just like your car doesn't have the same design as the 1994-1996 V6 Mustangs.

Reddit
Old 02-15-2009, 03:40 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Ford Motor Co.’s 3.8-liter V-6 engine has been a modern-day workhorse, used in such popular vehicles as the Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable mid-size sedans, the Ford Windstar minivan and the Lincoln Continental luxury car. But many mechanical experts and consumer advocates say it is troubled by a major defect.

Failure of the engine’s head gasket is so common that many independent garages are doing a booming business replacing it. Good mechanics can diagnose the problem from their office chairs: billows of white smoke coming out of the tailpipe, and the engine misfiring and overheating. Sometimes, the cylinders fill with coolant and the engine refuses to turn over at all.

Repair costs can range anywhere from $800 to $4,000, depending on the amount of collateral damage that the head-gasket problem causes. In some cases, the heads crack or the entire engine block is destroyed by overheating.

In a letter Nov. 24 to Ford Chairman William Clay Ford Jr., the Center for Auto Safety demanded that the company warrant the gaskets for 120,000 miles on all cars equipped with the 3.8-liter engine from model years 1988 to 1995. The group says it alone has received more than 115 complaints about head-gasket failures on the 3.8-liter, an engine used on hundreds of thousands of Ford vehicles.

“Ford continues to lead all auto makers in covering up defects and exposing consumers to safety risks and expensive repairs in order to limit financial exposure for remedying defects,” the letter charged.

The six-page letter, written by the center’s executive director, Clarence Ditlow, is filled with case histories of Ford owners, who on average experienced head-gasket failures at just 65,000 miles, while Ford’s own maintenance schedules show that the part should last more than 120,000 miles.

Mike Vaughn, a spokesman for Ford Motor’s Customer Service Division, says the company has not yet responded to Ditlow’s letter but plans to do so in the future.

But in the meantime, Ford denies that the 3.8-liter V-6 is defective.

“We absolutely disagree with Mr. Ditlow that there is a head-gasket defect with the wide array of vehicles with this engine spanning many years,” Vaughn said.

Nonetheless, Ford did issue a service bulletin, advising its dealership mechanics of a problem with head gaskets in the 1994-95 Taurus and Sable twins, the 1995 Windstar and the 1994 Continental with 3.8-liter engines. Under an extended warranty designated Program 98M01, Ford agreed to cover the head gaskets for up to five years or 60,000 miles on the Taurus, Sable and Windstar models and five years or 75,000 miles on the Continental. Ford’s basic warranty on the Taurus, Sable and Windstar was three years or 36,0000 miles.

Ditlow calls the program “inadequate and discriminatory” because a wide range of vehicles outside those years are experiencing head-gasket failures. Many Internet sites also carry woeful accounts of Ford owners with blown head gaskets that are not covered by the company’s limited extended warranty.

Vaughn says Ford limited the warranty extension to only those years because the company had “noticed a blip” in complaints involving those model years. Vaughn declines to call the “blip” a defect. The problem was related to an unspecified engineering change, he says.

Sam Memmolo, a nationally recognized automotive repair expert in Douglasville, Ga., says head-gasket failures in Ford 3.8-liter engines “are real common.” Typically, the head gasket leaks and allows engine coolant to drop, raising the risk of engine overheating.

One factor that contributes to the head-gasket problem, Memmolo says, is Ford’s basic design on all 3.8-liter engines, using a cast-iron block and an aluminum head. Aluminum heads are lightweight and cheap to make, but they expand and contract at a faster rate than the cast-iron block. That leads to a lot of movement, which causes wear and stress on the head gasket, Memmolo says.

Head-Gasket Failure Plagues Ford's 3.8 V-6 - Los Angeles Times
Old 02-15-2009, 03:56 PM   #17

I was aware of the problem with the older 3.8s but didn't know it plagued so many different models thanks for the info bud. There are ways to combat this problem, though not simple to do mods.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:11 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

WTF? back to computers now............
Old 02-15-2009, 05:22 PM   #19
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang GT HO View Post
WTF? back to computers now............
AMD is a fine processor. Not everyone needs to overclock their computers. I run all of mine at stock and can play every game out fine. I also Fold 24/7 on all of my computers. The AMD has been folding for a good 6 months solid now running every day all day long.

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...hp?s=&u=307790

Reddit
Old 02-15-2009, 06:32 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I was just making an over the top argument about it being silly to ****-can an entire company over a mistake or two in manufacturing. What company DOESN'T have a screw up every now and then. I chose ford because it would hit home better, but early xboxes were plagued with red rings and catching on fire, and aside from blu-ray i'd still consider it the superior choice for an actual gaming rig. (in terms of online and library). There are a zillion more examples but I've got to go out to eat!
Old 02-15-2009, 08:08 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

I remember back in the day arguing with others on this site about how Intel was about to totally wipe out AMD in the processor market. I was basically called an idiot. It's good to see how things turned out.

Here's another prediction: AMD is not coming back any time soon. Intel is so far ahead in the multi-core game that it is not even funny.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:11 PM   #22
Regular

They haven't wiped them out. AMD has always been the underdog and will probably forever remain that. If you have to overclock your computer then you probably want to go Intel. If you just want a blazing fast computer then you can go with either, cause 99% of the population won't be able to tell the difference between the two. Intel is the leader because they are the Microsoft of processors.

That's like saying Microsoft has 'wiped out' Linux.

Reddit
Old 02-15-2009, 08:18 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
They haven't wiped them out. AMD has always been the underdog and will probably forever remain that. If you have to overclock your computer then you probably want to go Intel. If you just want a blazing fast computer then you can go with either, cause 99% of the population won't be able to tell the difference between the two. Intel is the leader because they are the Microsoft of processors.

That's like saying Microsoft has 'wiped out' Linux.
Three years ago AMD ruled the gaming scene. Now Intel does. In fact, Intel rules every scene. It's actually a lot worse for AMD than you realize. To you, the casual consumer, AMD is still an option. But to companies who require a proven processor that provides the absolute best product available, AMD is not an option. A processor is not something most companies are going to be willing to skimp on to save a few bucks, if they know anything at all about what they are doing.

99% of the casual consumer can't tell the difference between the two. 99% of the corporate consumer can, and they seriously out number the home consumers.

PS, Microsoft has 'wiped out' Linux. Doesn't mean I'm gonna use it... but that's another story.

Scary stuff.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:01 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

actually I would disagree with the linux statement as I know more people now that are going the linux route now than I ever did.

you should nose around with ubuntoo, I here its alot easier to use than windows vista.

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstangboy View Post
actually I would disagree with the linux statement as I know more people now that are going the linux route now than I ever did.

you should nose around with ubuntoo, I here its alot easier to use than windows vista.
I am more of a Red Hat guy my self, but Ubuntoo is good for beginers.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:58 PM   #26
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Ubuntu... no double o
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:15 AM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

I'm actually running Fedora 10 as we speak. Thinking about switching to OpenSUSE though since they are a little more on the ball with their KDE support. I'm a big fan of Qt.

Scary stuff.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:02 PM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark

OpenSUSE 11.0 was a blast once I got it set up properly. It's been a while since then, so I don't know if they've improved on it any

And yea, I'm an Intel guy. My first self built computer was an Intel; no problems. My second was an AMD; insert horror story. My current pc is Intel, and my next one will be as well
Old 02-22-2009, 01:26 PM   #29
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

My media center PC will be an intel, but I am having no problems with my AMD. I am going Intel with the media center pc because it seems mythbuntu runs a lot better on an intel. At least I think that is what I read.
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar