MTV and the elections - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-07-2004, 12:15 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Tbird232ci
MTV and the elections

Last night i flipped on MTV, and they had a show one thats basically trying to get younger people to vote and showing how their vote can make a difference. Through the entire show, they would give a story about something, then talk about how the each presidential candidate could effect the person and the story and whatnot. I was getting disgusted through the entire show because MTV seemed to be biased!

for example, the had this girl speaking, who had an abortion so she could still go to school and have a career and whatnot, then they went on this thing saying "president bush is highly against abortions, where as kerry supports abortions and allowing women to make their own decisions"

another one they were talking about is couples who support abstainence (pardon my spelling if its wrong), and then girls who had sex and got pregnant, and they went on saying "president bush plans to spend 206 million dollars in school programs supporting abstainance, where kerry plans to make programs that support abstainence and also inform about conception and using protection"

sounds a little biased doesnt it?
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2004, 12:20 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Not to anger anyone that is young here but what do teenagers really know about life and why would anyone listen to them to make a decision about who they were going to vote for especially a teenage with a baby ?????????
Old 10-07-2004, 12:27 PM   #3
Road Trip!

they were using the teenagers mostly as examples, similar to saying "this girl had a child young, she chose to have an abortion, if this president were elected, abortions would be illegal, but if you chose this president, she could legally have an abortion"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2004, 12:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to redrum Send a message via Yahoo to redrum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
Not to anger anyone that is young here but what do teenagers really know about life and why would anyone listen to them to make a decision about who they were going to vote for especially a teenage with a baby ?????????
my thoughts exactly, and im one of the ones you are talking about.

im not at all offended by what you say here. i think that 18-22 year olds still are babied too much to understand life on their own completely. i know that i myself do not understand all the topics at hand, nor have a firm grasp on both sides of the arguement, and thus my vote would be a truely naive one. which is why i will not vote. however, i do support bush. but i wont vote because i know that there are things in the elections that are unknown to me, that could sway my decision if i understood better.
redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 12:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Thats a really ignorant comment. What does one having a baby have to do with their vioce not being heard? Get wit the times. There are plenty of young adults who know the deal. Whether your ignorant enough not to see that then thats your problem. 18 and up means we have a voice and as the "people" we can voice what we want.

Also what does not knowing about life have to do with voicing are opinion? If anything those teens who do have kids end up becoming adults and maturer quicker then those who dont.

Dont be ignorant.
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 12:36 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemustang
Thats a really ignorant comment. What does one having a baby have to do with their vioce not being heard? Get wit the times. There are plenty of young adults who know the deal. Whether your ignorant enough not to see that then thats your problem. 18 and up means we have a voice and as the "people" we can voice what we want.

Also what does not knowing about life have to do with voicing are opinion? If anything those teens who do have kids end up becoming adults and maturer quicker then those who dont.

Dont be ignorant.
spell check is your friend. when arguing about politics, make sure you use atleast proper spelling so you dont sound like an idiot.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrum
i know that i myself do not understand all the topics at hand, nor have a firm grasp on both sides of the arguement, and thus my vote would be a truely naive one. which is why i will not vote.
You dont have to know ALL the topics to not vote. I dont personally know all the topics but I do have opinions for many things that are going on. You vote for what you strongly feel for. Such as myself I feel strongly on Education, Censorship and our rights of Freedom of speech. I have my opinion that Bush has failed at those and will not vote for him.

Thats whats great about this country you vote strongly for what YOU feel and not all this mumbo jumbo thats happening now. (iraq/afg/etc)
Old 10-07-2004, 12:38 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
spell check is your friend. when arguing about politics, make sure you use atleast proper spelling so you dont sound like an idiot.
Get over yourself this isnt a school where proper english and typing is needed. This is the internet. Dont be a jackass cause Ill go back and find every post you have fudged on and point and say "oohh you failed at not spelling right" douchbag
Old 10-07-2004, 12:40 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

so you're saying if it came down to:
1) no censorship, and smarter kids.. meanwhile, saddam and terrorist sending planes into our buildings every 1 year
or
2) censorship and education as it is now... meanwhile, terrorism at an end and no more bombings and dead soliders/friends

youd choose the first option?

im sorry, but i think people are more important than trying to teach dumb people **** they dont wanna learn.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:41 PM   #10
Road Trip!

bluemustang: i dont see Corey as being ignorant, most people in my age range (im 19 btw) have no idea about whats really going on in life, ive been through a lot harder times, ive dealt with so much more than most people my age, so i feel im slightly ahead of my time, but i still cant say i know everything about life

as i tell the kids in highschool who think theyre on top of the world "you might know everything and you might be big and bad in highschool, but once youre out in the real world, you are nothing and you know nothing"
Old 10-07-2004, 12:41 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Quote:

Dont be ignorant.
Like I said I did not say that to anger people. The fact is teenage kids with babies that are still in school might have a right to be heard but they are surely not the ideal people to listen to for advice on who to vote for or to be role models for young kids.

So i was not being ignorant just stating a fact. everyone should be heard from but the fact is MTV is exploiting these people for political gains.

So do you think teenage pregnancy is a good thing. I also agree with your comments on they have to grow up quicker that is out of necessity not because of intelligence or making the right decision.

Dont take this personal
Old 10-07-2004, 12:42 PM   #12
Road Trip!

damn...4 replies as i typed my reply, im friggen slow
Old 10-07-2004, 12:42 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Get over yourself this isnt a school where proper english and typing is needed. This is the internet. Dont be a jackass cause Ill go back and find every post you have fudged on and point and say "oohh you failed at not spelling right" douchbag
there you go again, making yourself look dumb in a discussion about politics.

all im saying is... while talking about something that is supposed to be sophisticated, you should use proper english and not resort to name calling, etc etc.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:45 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
so you're saying if it came down to:
1) no censorship, and smarter kids.. meanwhile, saddam and terrorist sending planes into our buildings every 1 year
or
2) censorship and education as it is now... meanwhile, terrorism at an end and no more bombings and dead soliders/friends

youd choose the first option?

im sorry, but i think people are more important than trying to teach dumb people **** they dont wanna learn.
You dont know what im saying. What im trying to state that I feel stronger for what I BELIEVE in. I believe that education is going down the ****ter and that can affect us later in life is what im saying. Alot of cutbacks. I have enough faith my next leader (if theres a next) to take care of that issue either way cause its one of those obvious ones.

If you dont think education is important then why did are you in school now (if you are jus saying as ex.) Thats why there are many issues. I bet you many seniors are worried about HMO's and medicare cause thats what they blieve in. Thats what im trying to state
Old 10-07-2004, 12:48 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird232ci
bluemustang: i dont see Corey as being ignorant, most people in my age range (im 19 btw) have no idea about whats really going on in life, ive been through a lot harder times, ive dealt with so much more than most people my age, so i feel im slightly ahead of my time, but i still cant say i know everything about life

as i tell the kids in highschool who think theyre on top of the world "you might know everything and you might be big and bad in highschool, but once youre out in the real world, you are nothing and you know nothing"
You have a point BUT alot of young adults are getting themselves involved now a days. We are educationing ourselves to see what the deal. Whether its seeing from the media or a civics class in college.

I 100% agree with that second statement of yours. Im only 20 but the last 2 years of my life have really grown up and seen I guess you can say the light. I do agree that those turning 18 arent as educated but they could also have a "voice" There are those smart ones not many but there out there
Old 10-07-2004, 12:49 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I think it good in some ways, it's making people our age think about politics and get involved. As far the the bias part goes, yes it biased to a point, but it's also true. The problem I see with this is that it's like MTV is forcing an opinion on my generation and not giving both sides of the story. Instead of just talking about how W is against abortion and against birth control versus abstinence, they could show some points that mean more to the national security and the overall government of this country. Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, but it should be a very well informed opinion that has method and plenty of thought behind it. Ok..I think I'm done.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 12:49 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You dont know what im saying. What im trying to state that I feel stronger for what I BELIEVE in. I believe that education is going down the ****ter and that can affect us later in life is what im saying. Alot of cutbacks. I have enough faith my next leader (if theres a next) to take care of that issue either way cause its one of those obvious ones.

If you dont think education is important then why did are you in school now (if you are jus saying as ex.) Thats why there are many issues. I bet you many seniors are worried about HMO's and medicare cause thats what they blieve in. Thats what im trying to state
i had a hard time understanding what the point of this post was, because there was a major lack of punctuation. however, i did catch the part where you assumed that i said school wasnt important.

your assumptions also make you look unenlightened.

what i said was... would you rather IMPROVE schooling.. blah blah blah... because i think schooling is fine where it is. i graduated from a very nice high school and am going to a major public university, and no my parents arent rich.

never did i say i dont think school is important, i just think that school is doing fine where its at right now, and the more immediate issue is making sure our people dont die. i have friends out in the fields right now fighting to save your *** from a plane hitting you. yet, you arent very grateful of that, it appears.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:52 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion
Quote:
I mostly agree with this statement. As I'm getting with the times, so to speak. I believe kids are babied more and more each and every year. about 100 years ago, 18 year old kids were actually considered adults, some of them incharge of families, comapnies, whatever. Now "kids" don't really understand the "big" picture until after college which is about 22. I'm not saying all, but most. And that's why kids have more of a liberal view of life, because they still have mommy and daddy paying for everything and haven't begun to understand much about how life really is. M-tv is using this ignorance to their advantage because they know how left-winged kids really are so they can try to get rid of ole George W. I think if you ain't voting for George you should be allowed to vote.

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 12:53 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn
I think it good in some ways, it's making people our age think about politics and get involved. As far the the bias part goes, yes it biased to a point, but it's also true. The problem I see with this is that it's like MTV is forcing an opinion on my generation and not giving both sides of the story. Instead of just talking about how W is against abortion and against birth control versus abstinence, they could show some points that mean more to the national security and the overall government of this country. Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, but it should be a very well informed opinion that has method and plenty of thought behind it. Ok..I think I'm done.
hehe, itll be a cold day in hell when the majority of teens choose abstinence over contraceptives! haha.

i think the world would be a horrible place if we were all for abstinence. there would be alot more porn shops around, and stuff... 18 year old boys just physically HAVE to ejaculate. i mean, seriously! haha

anyways, thats not what this topic is about, so yea.. back to the topic...
Old 10-07-2004, 12:54 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Like I said I did not say that to anger people. The fact is teenage kids with babies that are still in school might have a right to be heard but they are surely not the ideal people to listen to for advice on who to vote for or to be role models for young kids.

So i was not being ignorant just stating a fact. everyone should be heard from but the fact is MTV is exploiting these people for political gains.

So do you think teenage pregnancy is a good thing. I also agree with your comments on they have to grow up quicker that is out of necessity not because of intelligence or making the right decision.

Dont take this personal
Nah no way taken personal. Just kinda gets to me when people say young adults no nothing when in fact many many do.

Your right youngins wit kids arent the ideal but like you said still have the right to be heard. And in ways do get heard. MTV is a whole differ issue there always all over the place and thats why I never watch any of their political shows cause in some they'll be one way and then another show they go the other.

Teen pregnancy can be considered a good thing for CERTAIN people. WHy I say that cause I have plenty of friends who already have kids. It was the best thing cause they got their diploma and went to a trade school or a nursing school or whatever and got certified and now have awesome jobs and can take care of their family. For some it ended their huge drug craze where all they did was do drugs and nothing else and now there clean and totally differ
Old 10-07-2004, 12:54 PM   #21
Road Trip!

Quote:
I 100% agree with that second statement of yours. Im only 20 but the last 2 years of my life have really grown up and seen I guess you can say the light. I do agree that those turning 18 arent as educated but they could also have a "voice"
thats basically what Corey was saying, you just laid it out in a different manner
Old 10-07-2004, 12:55 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
there you go again, making yourself look dumb in a discussion about politics.

all im saying is... while talking about something that is supposed to be sophisticated, you should use proper english and not resort to name calling, etc etc.
Sorry i cant use the proper english for you ol super smart one that doesnt mess up but im on lunch break from work and typing fast cause I have to end in a few.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:55 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Stallion
I mostly agree with this statement. As I'm getting with the times, so to speak. I believe kids are babied more and more each and every year. about 100 years ago, 18 year old kids were actually considered adults, some of them incharge of families, comapnies, whatever. Now "kids" don't really understand the "big" picture until after college which is about 22. I'm not saying all, but most. And that's why kids have more of a liberal view of life, because they still have mommy and daddy paying for everything and haven't begun to understand much about how life really is. M-tv is using this ignorance to their advantage because they know how left-winged kids really are so they can try to get rid of ole George W. I think if you ain't voting for George you should be allowed to vote.
werd. i experienced a 180 degree turn in one of my friends. she was so democratic when she didnt work. her parents paid for everything, and she was so concerned about all that crap, but as soon as she got a job, she realized that it was her money they were taking. she quickly turned strongly republican. i definitely agree that most people dont understand the point at such an age.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:57 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Instead of just talking about how W is against abortion and against birth control versus abstinence, they could show some points that mean more to the national security and the overall government of this country. Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, but it should be a very well informed opinion that has method and plenty of thought behind it. Ok..I think I'm done.
Thats the thing though. Thats all we ever talk about is national securty. WHat about education, medicare, OUR social security that now are saying that me and your generation are not gonna have anything by the time we are elders. There are soooo many topics that just those two. and thats the point im trying to get across. That there just isnt two topics at hand to just vote a president over.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:59 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
never did i say i dont think school is important, i just think that school is doing fine where its at right now, and the more immediate issue is making sure our people dont die. i have friends out in the fields right now fighting to save your *** from a plane hitting you. yet, you arent very grateful of that, it appears.
Thanks for the immature remarks douch

Heres the thing maybe in your area education is fine but in mine school bugdets have been cut by more then half. Many Many teachers have been laid off, programs have been cut off (this is including sports, music)

Theres more to this country then just your area
Old 10-07-2004, 01:00 PM   #26
Regular

Region: Tennessee
John Kerry isnt going to do **** to make this country better. He can take his 4-point plan and shove it up is ***

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 01:00 PM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Thats the thing though. Thats all we ever talk about is national securty. WHat about education, medicare, OUR social security that now are saying that me and your generation are not gonna have anything by the time we are elders. There are soooo many topics that just those two. and thats the point im trying to get across. That there just isnt two topics at hand to just vote a president over.
The whole thing about not having any money is not W's fault...this was started a long long time ago when we started pulling this money for other things and stopped looking at the big picture.
Our's:
Old 10-07-2004, 01:00 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
gotta have faith in the government. i highly doubt they will not provide social security for us later... then theyd just have a bunch of cranky *** old people *****in' that theyd have to take care of, and pay for housing for.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:01 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Stallion
I totally agree wit you on parents babying their kids. and thats where the religious rights come in, our censorship cuts worse. and many so forths.
I totally disagree on the if you aint voting Bush you shouldnt vote cause thats BS very much BS.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:03 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks for the immature remarks douch

Heres the thing maybe in your area education is fine but in mine school bugdets have been cut by more then half. Many Many teachers have been laid off, programs have been cut off (this is including sports, music)

Theres more to this country then just your area
most colleges provide awesome scholarships for "underprivledged students"
Old 10-07-2004, 01:03 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The whole thing about not having any money is not W's fault...this was started a long long time ago when we started pulling this money for other things and stopped looking at the big picture.
Not saying it is but if we keep spending the way we are, we are the ones who are gonna get fudged. Which I do see happening
Old 10-07-2004, 01:03 PM   #32
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Here is a thought!!!!

Stop relying on the government to support you when you retire and start putting away money now!!

Thats exactly what Bush wants to do. Set up private accounts where you can put money into and it be tax free for when you retire.

Stop relying on the government to support you!

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 01:04 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
gotta have faith in the government. i highly doubt they will not provide social security for us later... then theyd just have a bunch of cranky *** old people *****in' that theyd have to take care of, and pay for housing for.
From some papers I got in my civics class. The long run honestly doesnt look that good in all honesty
Old 10-07-2004, 01:05 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
thats true. according to my high school economics teacher a few years ago... the changes that presidents make, usually dont make an effect on the economy until atleast the next term... maybe even the term after that. economy is not super elastic. it takes time. its not like the economy will take a quantum leep or something.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:06 PM   #35
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
I totally agree wit you on parents babying their kids. and thats where the religious rights come in, our censorship cuts worse. and many so forths.
I totally disagree on the if you aint voting Bush you shouldnt vote cause thats BS very much BS.
Yeh that last comment was a little far, but he did have some good points. We, me included, were babied so much more than past generations. I didn't have to get a job until my senior year in high school, and at the moment I don't need a job to keep myself in college. This would have been unheard of years ago and it's something that needs to be factored into this election. We're used to things being handed to us on silver platters. This is what's going to drive our government to ultimately fail, the fact that we will have several million people that expect everything they want for nothing in return. This is what the whole welfare situation has caused. As long as you have kids, you can be supported by the government. Have more kids, you get more money. These are problems that should be looked at and solutions found for.
Our's:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar