Can RAM go bad, or am I FUBAR'd? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-12-2004, 12:36 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Can RAM go bad, or am I FUBAR'd?

ok, here's the story.

The other night (thurs i think) my roommate was sending me mp3s to put on my mp3 player that she's taken over since I have musicmatch on my computer to do it. After recieving the mp3s, I am on a website (prolly this one) and uploading the mp3s onto the player as I normally do. Then my computer freezes and Mozilla stops working. I have to shut off my computer becuase even ctrl+alt+del doesnt do anything.

Ever since then, my computer has been ****ing up. I cannot do a system restore. I cannot defrag (says it loses touch with the defrag database???) I downloaded the new musicmatch in hopes that was the problem. It wasn't. I downloaded the new Mozilla seeing as how after this happened, I got messages "Mozilla.exe not found" ??? I deleted all the mp3s she sent me in thought one might be corrupt.

I am still trying to get everything working back to normal and it isnt working. This morning, I tried the defrag while laying in bed watching tv. I stopped it when it stopped working. I tried the system restore and it said "cannot restore" and then I just left the computer on. Not running any programs or anything... just sitting there. About 15min later, I get that nomal blue screen that says "problem with hardware, beginning dump of physical memory. Please restart". It wasnt even doing anything and it just starting making sounds like it was computing the 1 millionth decimal place of pi or something and then I got that message.

Did one of my 256mb stick crap out? Do I need to reformat? Do I need to throw the computer out of my 3rd story window?

cliffs: computer ****ed up. get blue screen that says hardware problem. pissing me off.
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2004, 12:57 PM   #2
Regular

Region: Tennessee
What is the error code it gives you when it goes blue screen? ox3285923 <-- something like that?

I had a motherboard go bad that wouldnt let me reinstall windows do to the memory banks being bad

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 01:01 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to kaper232 Send a message via Yahoo to kaper232
Computer memory can go bad, I had that happen to me plenty of times.

Your problem kinda sounds like a virus to me. Hence the alt+ctrl+del being disabled. Even some of the spyware will drastically slow down a computer and make it do strange things. I would recommend at this point in time to just reformat the computer.

What Operating System are you running?
kaper232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2004, 02:01 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

i have XP. it might be a virus, but her computer is showing no symptoms of a virus and that was the only thing that changed that day. I didnt even download my own mp3s... just got from her. So wouldn't she have to have some sort of problems too?

Brent - next time i get the code, I will try to get the number. I can't screen shot it or anything because once it happens, I have to just press and hold the power button until it shuts off and then power it back on since ctrl+alt+del is useless then. (c+a+d) works just fine when the computer isnt acting up, just when it is freezing or FUBAR'd.

oh, might be unrelated, might not be. but my battery life on this laptop has been basically cut in half. I used to be able to get a little over 2hrs on a full battery. I am lucky to get a whole hour anymore. Think that could be part of it? memory or whatever going bad, so it needs more battery power?
Old 10-12-2004, 02:18 PM   #5
Road Trip!

The problem could be a lot of things... On desktop computers, if the battery on the motherboard is getting low, it will cause the computer to act funny ie: blue screen etc. With labtops, if the battery is bad, it will cause problems, your ram chip could be going out... The list can go on and on. I would try reformatting first and see if the problem still happens. Really hard telling if its a hardware or software problem. Reformatting is always my first step when dealing with a serious issue. I would say your issue is pretty serious, considering it takes a lot to get a blue screen in XP. Unlike Winodws 95 and 98 where you could just look at your computer funny and it would blue screen.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:44 PM   #6
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
The laptop I used to have when I was at kodak acted the same way. It was a result of one of the memory chips not being as tight as it wanted. If I moved the laptop, I would blue screen or the computer would just space out and do nothing. It sounds a lot like that. I would check the memory banks and make sure the memory is seated nice and tight.
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 02:46 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
My computer recently crashed, I know for sure the main hard drive went, I gave my memory to my brother, he said one stick of that was no good, so I guess some of that went, and I replaced the mainboard, not sure if it was bad or not, but I replaced it because I originally thought that was my problem, LOL.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 06:21 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

is there a proper way to reformat? do you just go into dos and type c:\format and then put in the windows cd and go from there?
Old 10-12-2004, 06:24 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
You need to know your drivers...
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 06:36 PM   #10
Road Trip!

It depends how you are doing it. If you are using a Windows XP Pro disk, it will read it on boot up, and start the install process and ask you if you want to reformat or repair. If you are using a recovery disk that comes with computers such as Compaq, HP, etc... Just stick that disk in and let it do its thing.

Other than that, you will need a Win98/ME boot-disk. format C: [press enter]

Using a Windows XP cd:

put the windows CD in the drive, boot it.

when windows loads the screen showing the partitions on the hard disk, select the partition you want to delete and press D.

new screeen pops up next, i think you have to press enter, then another asking if you are sure you want to do this and you have to press L to confirm.

now you are left with rawspace, select the rawspace (think it auto selects it anyway) and press C to create a new partition, press enter on the next screen that pops up to use all of the available space. Or you could stop here if you like without creating a new partition, note the disk will be unusable until you create SOME sort of partition on it though, so if you want to use it for storage create a partition.

next select the new partition, and press enter to install windows on it, windows will want to format the partition using NTFS file system, take your option of quick format or normal and hit enter. (recommend you do normal)

Once it has finished, windows will give a 15second warning that it is about to reboot the PC, you should eject the CD before it does reboot. once the pc has rebooted and got past POST and CMOS put the CD back in as windows loads, XP will continue to install. from there on follow on screen prompts.

With a manufacturer recovery disk... The steps are different with each manufacturer, so just follow the screen prompts.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:43 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

i have a dell and it didnt come with any sort of re-install discs. So I am going to put in my XP Pro cd and have fun with that. Hopefully I will be talking to y'all here soon on my computer and not my roommates
Old 10-12-2004, 07:26 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Reformatting is rather simple with the XP CD... I posted how to do it above...

Edited: The XP Pro CD usually picks up most of your hardware, shouldnt have a problem there.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:34 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
just incase it is a virus you better move it away from the other computers or electronics near is so they dont get infected also... and possibly any dogs if there is any.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 07:50 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
just incase it is a virus you better move it away from the other computers or electronics near is so they dont get infected also... and possibly any dogs if there is any.
lol
Old 10-12-2004, 07:52 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

I haven't formatted a xp computer in a while..that's why I wasn't exactly sure. Normally it's 98 or 95, can't stand xp..just have it on my cpu
Our's:
Old 10-13-2004, 09:40 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
you LIKE 98 but you HATE xp... i think you have it backwards.... 98 is one of the worse OS's EVER!
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 11:44 AM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
I am still using windows 2K, with all the updates and stuff I don't think its much different than XP anyhow.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 12:38 PM   #18
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
I hated XP at first, but it owns 98.

I still think Windows 3.11 > all other OS!
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 01:15 PM   #19
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Windows XP is so much better than 98 imo

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 01:28 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Ah I hate those kinda stupid problems. I remember when my video card died on me. I was playing an MMORPG and suddenly the game got really slow, everything was very choppy, and it just sucked right out. I had to let the case stay open when I turned the computer on, the ****'n fan on the video card died and it was over heating anything I did. Man... that was a *****.

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 02:58 PM   #21
Road Trip!

Windows for Workgroups [3.11] had a very simple kernel running the system, but it hardly every failed... They made a new kernel for Windows 95, and it was buggy as hell. They kept that same kernel for Windows 98 and made a few simple changes to it, instead of starting from scratch, obviously... it still had a lot of problems. ME wasnt any better than the rest. The NT kernel was a lot more stable in its inviroment, so they decided to use it on the next batch of Operating Systems... Only probably I really see, is that we pay out the a** for MS Operating Systems [some pirate] that are in still in Beta... Hence why we are updating them constantly... Hopefully, the next OS they release, they will take thier time with it and give us an OS that is once again stable like 3.11 was.

I use a MAC in the studio with Protools attacted to it, and have never had a problem. We started out with a Windows machine and had problems all the time with it.

Neway... Ill get back to topic... I hope "Monkeys" computer is working ok....
Old 10-13-2004, 08:16 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

i finally got XP back on my computer after a lot of reformatting and then work this morning.

anyway. I cannot figure out how to get it programmed to accept the internet. I go into "Network Neighborhood" and I don't know how to get it to make one so i can get online (I'm on my roommate's computer btw) So in a few hours, all the messing w/ it I have done will hopefully allow me to get on it
Old 10-13-2004, 08:29 PM   #23
Road Trip!

Hmm, XP automatically picks up my connection when I reformat
Old 10-13-2004, 08:36 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Rellik Send a message via Yahoo to Rellik
Hey monkey... I have pleanty of dead Ram at my pad... want some more?
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 12:55 AM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

I had to reload my ethernet driver to get my internet connection to work. I just wish I knew where my wireless card cd-rom was so I could go wireless internet
Old 10-14-2004, 10:35 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Rellik Send a message via Yahoo to Rellik
The installation program is on the net somewhere... promise you. Just google it bro
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 01:30 AM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

The more I use XP the more I like it. It's just annoying having to learn the new commands and what has been compressed for the xp version. I guess I just worked with 98 and 95 so much that when I sit down to a xp and try to get anything accomplished it just annoys the **** out of me.
Our's:
Old 10-15-2004, 06:06 PM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

I HAVE THE INTERWEB BACK AGAIN!!!!!!! It turned out to be a bad hard drive. After 2 days of reformatting my hard drive and it locking up before all the drivers could be installed, I bought a new hard drive and it works wonderfully!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar