Finally. States rights seeing the light of day - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-01-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Finally. States rights seeing the light of day

U.S. to yield marijuana jurisdiction to states

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via MSN to 19Delta
Re: Finally. States rights seeing the light of day

Ah, as much as people here in KY grow it, it's not going to be legalized even if it is for medicinal use.
19Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:20 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

whoa, thats bold. i dont think the US is ready for it yet lol... maybe in my lifetime, but not yet.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2009, 07:25 PM   #4
Regular

I think we are at least ready to put it into the hands of the states. Alabama will probably never legalize marijuana for even medical reasons because of all the religious right who will go ape ****. It has taken us 3 years to get more than .06% alcohol volume in beer (we havent yet but it looks good this year).

So it's not like the entire country will start legalizing it all at once. I look forward to those states that want to decriminalize it being able to do so without the DEA interfering.

Reddit
Old 03-01-2009, 10:28 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark

+1 for Obama on this. Alchohol and cigarettes kill people every year, I've never heard of ANYONE dying from smoking Mary Jane. Dying from stupidity, or not smoking in a safe responsible environment, sure, but again, the same could be said about cigarettes and alcohol.

I believe that marijuana lessens the effects of ADHD as well. I knew kids in high school that would smoke a joint before a test and ace it, 100% score, and the rest of the time they were just like any other ADHD person.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:55 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

Pre-prohibition the drug world was left up to the states (since there was much more of a federal/state separation back then). Then you have the Opium wars and Prohibition, and a bunch of other political agenda which winds up making many narcotics federally illegal. Many will point out that the constitution has no right to pass such laws and it is the discretion of the states.

For those who are interested I would watch the original "Reefer Madness" as it is quite hysterical. For some strong evidence try a search for "The Laguardia Report". Mayor Laguardia of NYC lead an investigation with federal funds on the effects of marijuana finding what we all ready know. The harms of it are exaggerated, it's prominent in poorer "minority" areas, the adverse health effects is the same for smoking anything. This whole investigation because the mayor was a user himself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:35 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

marijuana IS bad for you.

it contains 4x the amount of tar than a normal cigarette and its not filtered (unless you filter it? who does that? lol).

but i still think it should be legalized because it is probably just on par with cigarettes. because lets be real, 2 packs a day versus a blunt here and there... even though its bad for you, its probably not 2 packs a day kinda bad for you.

and in a country that eats hormone plagued meats, disgusting chlorined water, like 2 or 3 times the amount of calories, fats, sodium, etc, i think there are far worst things than weed, but it isn't not bad for you (excuse the double negative lol).

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:59 AM   #8
Road Trip!

Besides, getting the munchies wouldn't really hurt the health problems of America, since over 450k people are over 400lbs already.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #9
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Personally, I think it smells like ****...it's bad enough having to smell cigerette smoke.

The again, if it get's legalized here it will be too damn expensive for the college pot heads to buy. Hell, cigs are going up to 7.50 a pack in a month as a result of a new "Sin Tax". I can only imagine how much they would tax weed.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:15 AM   #10
Road Trip!

Perfect bailout plan. Of course, it'd never happen, but ya can't kill a guy for thinking.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:13 PM   #11

Region: Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Sam09

It should only be legalized if you have to get a prescription and wear some kind of medical bracelet. The fact is that marajuana is terrible for your health. It kills brain cells and, if it is to be used, should only be used as pain management. Alcohol is terrible for you in excess as well and everyone knows the effects of cigarrettes. There are already enought legal things to kill yourself with, why add another to the list?
Sam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:16 PM   #12
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam09 View Post
It should only be legalized if you have to get a prescription and wear some kind of medical bracelet. The fact is that marajuana is terrible for your health. It kills brain cells and, if it is to be used, should only be used as pain management. Alcohol is terrible for you in excess as well and everyone knows the effects of cigarrettes. There are already enought legal things to kill yourself with, why add another to the list?
because its not the governments job to make sure you take care of yourself. The war on drugs is a huge waste of tax payer dollars.

Reddit
Old 03-02-2009, 04:15 PM   #13

Region: Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Sam09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
because its not the governments job to make sure you take care of yourself. The war on drugs is a huge waste of tax payer dollars.
But it is the government's job to take care of you. welfare. social security. regulating health insurance, the FDA, public defense

And, I'd sure as hell rather fund something like that than the other bull**** things the government taxes people for.

And, people who run around drunk and high aren't any good for anybody! They endanger public safety when they leave their homes in that condition.
Sam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:23 PM   #14
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Welfare - No - Get off your *** and go to work.
Heath Insurance/Health Care - No
Retirement - No - Gov't has already proven they can't manage retirement...let me manage it myself.

Our gov't wasn't created to take care of the citizens and baby sit us. It is headed that way more and more each day now, but that is NOT gov't job.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:35 PM   #15
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam09 View Post
But it is the government's job to take care of you. welfare. social security. regulating health insurance, the FDA, public defense

And, I'd sure as hell rather fund something like that than the other bull**** things the government taxes people for.

And, people who run around drunk and high aren't any good for anybody! They endanger public safety when they leave their homes in that condition.
If someone has a drug or alcohol problem it isnt a criminal problem until it causes harm to another person. Its a health problem. The problem is, the war on drugs treats it as a criminal problem even when you are not endangering anyone else (with the exception of alcohol, to an extent).

Also, what exactly has the war on drugs done to make you safer? If it worked, then that would be another story and you might have an argument. It's just as easy today to buy weed than it was 40 years ago. Trillions wasted over those 40 years resulted in no improvement.

Also, its not the governments job to take care of me. Just because they put programs in place that offer that help, does not mean that it is their job. The government routinely does things its not suppose to.

I shouldn't be punished if I want to drink, smoke or do a line of cocaine (not that I would, just sayin) as long as I do not endanger anyone else.

Those that do, will lose the privilege. Just like people who endanger others by recklessly driving lose the privilege to drive.

Reddit
Old 03-02-2009, 04:36 PM   #16
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama

It is not the governments job to protect us from ourselves.
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:38 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

I think I'm just going to stay out of this one.

Actually, let me just say this:

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:21 AM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

I never laugh so hard reading all of your comments THANK YOU !!!!!! and yes I was stoned off my ***. Brent's the only one that made sense and Someone mentioned "It kills brain cells " well so does stress,Rapidly shaking your head ,Eating junk food ,Lack of quality sleep, Microwaving popcorn Legalize it and let people decide if they want to smoke it .
The war on drugs is a joke and so is the statement it KILLS BRAIN CELLS
which is a vague, un-scientific claim. Here's why. The only research scientist who ever claimed that pot damages brain structures was a guy named Dr. Gabriel Nahas, who used to work for the National Institutes of Health in the 70's. He did a study on rhesus monkeys with marijuana, and his results seemed to indicate that pot caused brain damage, so the drug warriors like to include that little tidbit in their speeches, pamphlets, and so forth.

The problem is that it isn't true. Dr. Nahas' research was astoundingly bad. After he published his study, dozens of scientists came forward to question his methods. He made pretty much every mistake someone can make - if this were a science project, he would have flunked. A few examples:

* the size of the research group was small - only 4 monkeys.
* there was no control group.
* the amount of pot smoke the monkeys ingested was several thousand times higher than anything a human could smoke - these poor monkeys basically spent 16 hours a day in a room full of pot smoke.
* Nahas misidentified normal monkey brain structures as "damaged."
* in his bibliography, he cited 31 sources. Of those 31, 4 were legitimate.
The rest were either quoted out of context in a misleading way, misquoted, or plain-old made up.
* He lied about his results. The "brain damage" that he observed in the monkeys brains disappeared as soon as the monkeys stopped receiving marijuana, and he chose to not mention it in his report.

So basically, this was like the world-class worst scientific study ever. It was so bad, he got ****-canned by the NIH, and he made a public speech disavowing the research, and admitting he messed it up.

My point is, people still say that pot causes brain damage. The drug warriors are intellectually dishonest - they quote people like Gabriel Nahas in pamphlets, because they know most people aren't going to bother to look it up and find out whether Nahas was a complete moron or not (which he was). Doing something like that is, in my eyes, just as bad as lying, so when the Drug Czar makes a claim on TV or in a newspaper that just isn't true, to me, it's just as bad as Clinton saying "I did not have sexual relations with that woman."

If they came out and told the honest truth about marijuana, it would be legalized. They know this. They feel justified in lying because it's the only way to keep pot illegal. But if you like government sources, heres one for you:

In the late eighties, NORML (the pro-pot people) brought a lawsuit against the DEA, trying to get pot re-classified from a schedule I drug (along with cocaine and angel dust) to a class III drug (things like codeine). The DEA assigned a law judge named Francis Young to hear the case. It went on for two years. During the case, the judge heard thousands of hours of testimony from scientists, lawyers, doctors, policemen, and so forth, and he amassed something like 15 volumes of evidence.

Let me be clear - Francis Young was an employee of the DEA, so he wasn't exactly unbiased. After two years of hearing the best the pro-pot and anti-pot forces could muster, his recommendation was that pot be immediately decriminalized. How about some quotes? He called marijuana "the safest therapeutic drug known to man." Was he wrong? He also referred to marijuana as "safer than water." It sounds weird, but it's true. It's theoretically impossible to overdose on marijuana, and no one has ever died from it. Compare that to Aspirin, which kills a few dozen people every year, or to any other commonly used drug or medication. In fact, compare it to water - believe it or not, it's actually possible to die from drinking too much water, and every year, a few people die from it. Which is, of course, a few more than pot.

So how come pot wasn't decriminalized? Well, after Young presented his findings to the DEA, the DEA's response was: "um, we're not in charge of scheduling drugs, that's Health and Human Services' job." They passed the buck. Is this surprising? Not really. About every 20 years or so, the government appoints a task force to decide what to do about the "marijuana problem". Every time, they recommend decriminalization, and every time they are ignored. The first time I can find of this happening was with the British government in 1804. The most recent time was during the Reagan administration. He appointed a "Gold-ribbon task force" of lawyers, doctors, and cops, who also recommended that marijuana be decriminalized, and were also ignored.

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:04 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark

Herb for president

O.o
Old 03-04-2009, 12:03 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Job doesn't pay enough !!! It just pisses me off when people believe all the hype the goverment puts out. Hell one of the main reason they made it illegal was because of the mexicans
The border states were upset over them coming to the US to work so they started this bull**** over weed claiming that all the mex were high raping the white women and just going crazy .That's about the time that reefer madness movie came out
I'm 58 been smoking weed for over 40 years was a B + student have my MCSE,CNSE, A+ ,networking + and a few more. Point is all my test scores were well above the passing requirements .Now I think I'll go home and smoke a few bowls

Read This Why is Marijuana Illegal?

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar