college woes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-28-2004, 08:01 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
college woes

if any of you have ever thought of attending Coe College in Cedar Rapids, IA.... pass on the opportunity. to let you all in on what happened, here is the letter I am preparing for the president of the college, Dr. Phifer, and the head of the business office, Heidi Patterson.... enjoy. The letter does a pretty good job of explaining everything. I don't have the 'dear xxxx' on it, but it is the body of the letter... again, enjoy... comment if you wish

We have a slight problem here. Let me start by completely explaining the situation. I went to Coe last year. To finance this venture, I took out two loans. At the end of the year, I still had a balance left to pay off. I didn't have a problem with this. I visited with Heidi and she brought up this "Iowa Student Loan". I agreed to take out this loan. I called and got preapproved. I was told Heidi would then release my transcript to the college I was transferring to. I completed the form under Heidi's supervision. She then filled out the school's section and said she would mail it. I agreed to this. Then she told me I could go tell the Registrar's Office that Heidi said they could release my transcript. She said they couldn't release it for a couple days because they lady that does that wouldn't be in for a couple days. I said, "ok", and left to tell the Registrar's Office to release my transcript. They said this wouldn't be a problem, and that by the end of the following week at the latest, SCC would have my transcript. My father and I acknowledged this and left.
On June 11, 2004, I received a letter entitled "Statement of Credit Denial". this was sent to me because apparently, the form had been filled out incorrectly and I needed to resubmit another form. I did this. I filled out my sections and mailed the complete form to Heidi to finish the school's sections. Eventually, this was done, and sent to the loan institution. Let me remind you, Heidi presided over filling out the first paperwork, and it was declined because something wasn't filled out correctly.
On Septmeber 21, 2004... note, July, August, and some of Septmeber had passed... whether the loaning institution was slow, or Heidi, I don't know... I received yet another letter from the loan institution. This again was a denial of my loan. The given reason was: Educational institution did no certify loan application. Let me remind you yet again, I was preapproved for this loan. Not only that, I still hadn't received the transcript that was supposed to be sent the week I was in Heidi's office. To top this off, the next day, I got a letter from Coe. This letter informed me not only did I still owe the slightly over $5,000... but I owed late fees! How is this my fault? First, why would an institution charge you late fees when they know you're in the process of paying them? Not only in the process, but the loan papers are in the mail! Then, when the papers come back declined, the ones filled out under Heidi's supervision, I get charged for being late in my payment. Most institutions would realize their error in the situation has CAUSED the situation, and stop charging the person who hasn't done anything wrong late fees. Actually, most places would stop piling on the fees when the person who owes them is in the process of submitting the loan.
Not only did this not happen, but the second time the loan was filled out (correctly by me, and me alone), Coe refused to certify it. You filled out your sections, and didn't certify the loan... but submitted it to the loan institution. That's awfully weird. After this, I again was charged late fees. Again, where in this is my error? (besides going to Coe... not sure if I want that in the letter or not yet, hahaha)... if you look at the billing statement, Coe kept my bill for 13 days after it came out of the printer. There isn't anything more I can do to pay you off if you won't certify the loan. One last thought to think about: it is now Oct. 29, 2004, do I have the transcript to give to my current school? No. I will have finals in about a month, I requested my transcript sent this summer, obviously well before June 11. I was promised its release... yet, 4.5 months later, no transcript. I chose to send this letter to Heidi and Dr. Phifer because, obviously, Heidi can't seem to get this loan to go through. Whether it's just too hard for her, or she just wants to make a point about what happens to those that leave Coe, I don't know, but someone that can get something done needs to step up. Your institution is in the wrong here. I never refuted owing you the tuition I haven't already taking out loans for (the remainder we're talking about in the letter), but I WILL NOT pay your bogus late fees that were not my fault.

this is the letter as of yet... just in case you were curious, I have all these letters I'm talking about, they are photocopied, and important sections high lighted.... each person will get a letter as well as the photocopies.... let's just see how interesting this can get... I guess when you deal with a ****ty school, you get ****ty treatment

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2004, 08:13 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64
that sucks man
Old 10-28-2004, 08:18 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
lol, any comments on the letter? ... I like my writing

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2004, 08:46 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

cliffnotes?

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
stangin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 09:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to Crispy
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangin99
cliffnotes?
lol

I hate dealing with schools and the finance offices, i swear its pullin teeth man. You just be patient and keep harassing them, they are like Sprint PCS, if you complain nicely enough for lonh enough you'll get somethin free!
Crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 09:27 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

I've been dealing with them on this for like 6 months already.. no I won't negotiate peacefully... they're STILL giving me late fees. I want action, and I want it now damn it!.... if they won't help me fix the problem.... I'll post an ad in every newspaper in Iowa about this problem, and then we'll see how fast they jump

Old 10-28-2004, 09:48 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

bump, and no, no cliffnotes, just read the thing.... it's not like you have much else to read that's new... the board is dead again tonight

Old 10-28-2004, 09:57 PM   #8
Ken
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Hampshire
$5k for a year of college????

You go to a cheap school!
Old 10-28-2004, 09:59 PM   #9
Ken
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Hampshire
I go to Rivier College....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivier
Undergraduate 2004-05 tuition = $19,200 (full-time)
Old 10-28-2004, 09:59 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

no, that's what I still owed.... the total is $28,000.... I borrowed $6,000, still owe $5,000

Old 10-28-2004, 11:01 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

bump... need more opinions

Old 10-29-2004, 07:49 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark
hire a lawyer, they're gonna try to **** you
Old 10-29-2004, 07:59 AM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken
I go to Rivier College....
Undergraduate 2004-05 tuition = $19,200 (full-time)
That's nuts. That's more than I paid for my entire college education at UAH.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 08:18 AM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I'm paying like 2400 a semester...lol
Then I get 800 for band...so whatever that comes out to.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 09:06 AM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Sorry about your problem. Financial institutions seem to have a quite large amount of dumbasses and bull**** artist working for them. But there are ways to deal with them. Back door them if you can. find out if any of you relativeshave friends that work at the financial institution to help out. Get the school involved even more go to the top if you have to and dont stop till you have exhausted all means of attack.

I will say one quick thing. for all you guys faced with a lack of funds for college. The military is a opportunity to get to school. Join any branch and start school while in or wait till after your 4 years are up and then apply for college. Because of th point structure used for grants and loans almost no Military personel who leaves with a Honorable discharge will get turned down for grants or loans. I went through most of college with Pell Grants which I did not have to pay back.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:21 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

I was thinking about that...military won't take me though...
Our's:
Old 10-29-2004, 12:26 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn
I was thinking about that...military won't take me though...

WHY!!! Are you gay ???? MUAHAHHAHAHHA J/K
Old 10-29-2004, 12:30 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

No...no hardware policies kinda stop me. I could get waivers but all the work isn't worth it to me right now..
And by god I'm not gay
Our's:
Old 10-29-2004, 12:38 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

I was just joking about the gay thing BY GOD HEHEHEHHEHE

What hardware????
Old 10-29-2004, 11:57 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

I can't go.. I'm disqualified... yeah... plus, I have it all worked out now, just not with Coe... letter will be mailed tomorrow hopefully, Monday at the latest, and I don't F*** around, I go right to the president of the college... and I saw a 2005 GT today ... on a side note

Old 10-31-2004, 07:34 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

UPDATE... as I get ready to mail this letter tomorrow, I received new mail yesterday.... it's telling me that Coe has informed the credit bureau of my debt, and they allowed the 30 days to run down before actually mailing it to me, and they told me it's too late to protest the bill.... so now I HAVE to pay all of it, oh, AND they tacked on MOOOOORE late fees... you have NO idea how pissed I am. Not only am I protesting the late fees, I'm sending a copy of this entire damn thing to the Attorney General of Iowa. I will put in there that I think this is just plain fraud. How you can ruin someone's credit over your own stupid mistakes just to show a kid what happens when you move from the college because THEY lied to get you there, and now, they're LYING about me paying this bill. I have the documetation to prove it. They didn't mention on the credit bureau's report that they had given me more late fees... the bill is just $150 larger this time than the one I got that was dated 3 DAYS EARLIER than the credit bureau's. JIMMY IS PISSED. In good news, I may be getting a salvaged Mach 1....

Old 10-31-2004, 08:27 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

someone care... or at least comment.... (I found the paper saying they mailed my transcript 6/7/04.... though it never came, this proves that I was pre-approved.... oh, and I have 2 eye witnesses

Old 10-31-2004, 09:57 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Is that one witness with 2 eyes or 2 witnesses with 1 eye ??????
Old 10-31-2004, 10:01 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

I have screws holding my hip and right ankle together...that hardware. And that sucks Jimmy...get em good.
Our's:
Old 10-31-2004, 10:05 PM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

Damn dude is it permanent !!!! If it is you are right you would need a big time waiver
Old 10-31-2004, 10:14 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

oh, I plan on getting them good.... I know I'll still owe them, but I'll cost them enough in people NOT going there to make me feel happy.... $28,000 times each person I drive away is my payment

Old 10-31-2004, 10:14 PM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

It's permanent as far as I care, not going to get another surgery just to get screws that aren't hurting me taken out...lol
Our's:
Old 10-31-2004, 11:55 PM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

I have a ''finished'' copy of my letter to the president of the college, and the Attorney General of Iowa if anyone is interested

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar