Update on the Ford Lightening and got a little extra on the 07 Cobra! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-29-2004, 02:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Send a message via AIM to Hoover
Talking Update on the Ford Lightning and got a little extra on the 07 Cobra!

Hey guys, you will never believe what I just found out from the lady I work with whose brother works for Ford, well actually Rousch. Ok first off, they did scrap the Ford Lightning project after only two weeks of work on the project, and no one is supposed to know that, her brother wanted to know how I knew.

But on an even better note, I did find out from him that since they scrapped the Lightening they moved his team to start working on the Ford Mustang GT Cobra 2007 model. I was told that this thing is to have 551 HP off the showroom floor and to out perform the Ford GT, he didn’t go into specifics of how it could, but he is the lead engineer so I will take his word for it. They also are only making 800 of them, but the best part is, he is bringing the prototype 07 Cobra here so I can see it, and I get to take photo’s and I can even get to ride in this thing. I am so excited, I am about to wet myself! I am going to take so many photos it won’t even be funny. He is also going to be bringing all the photo’s he has of the Ford GT’s on the factory line with him next to them all and some of the prototype he was driving around. What a way to end a Friday!
Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2004, 02:33 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to NJStang86
Congrats...Post the pics when you get em
NJStang86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 02:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
Send a message via AIM to 19ClearCobra96 Send a message via MSN to 19ClearCobra96
Thats f-in sweet 551 HP thats insane

Old 10-29-2004, 03:07 PM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoover
Hey guys, you will never believe what I just found out from the lady I work with whose brother works for Ford, well actually Rousch. Ok first off, they did scrap the Ford Lightening project after only two weeks of work on the project, and no one is supposed to know that, her brother wanted to know how I knew.

But on an even better note, I did find out from him that since they scrapped the Lightening they moved his team to start working on the Ford Mustang GT Cobra 2007 model. I was told that this thing is to have 551 HP off the showroom floor and to out perform the Ford GT, he didn’t go into specifics of how it could, but he is the lead engineer so I will take his word for it. They also are only making 800 of them, but the best part is, he is bringing the prototype 07 Cobra here so I can see it, and I get to take photo’s and I can even get to ride in this thing. I am so excited, I am about to wet myself! I am going to take so many photos it won’t even be funny. He is also going to be bringing all the photo’s he has of the Ford GT’s on the factory line with him next to them all and some of the prototype he was driving around. What a way to end a Friday!
When he asked how you knew, did you say "welcome to the internet age" ?

It sucks that you confirmed my last post. I was hoping the leaks were fake since I wanted an 07 Lightning bad. I did hear it isn't gone for good and just on hold, but only time will tell on that one. I think enough people are going to complain that ford will realize it to be a mistake.

At last report, the new cobra is going to have the same 5.4L engine that the Ford GT has. It will be naturally aspirated and have 500 hp in stock form. They are also going to offer an option for a super cooler for WOT conditions that routes the intake air through the AC for a quick blast of "ice cold" air. This will be for no more than 15 or so seconds though I heard.

Needless to say, if they come out with a 500 HP NA mustang, look out when people start bolting on power adders. I think we will be looking at quite a few 700+ HP mustangs on the street (assuming they have and pass emmisions).

Too bad for the L though. The test mule and concept pics sure looked great. Now ford can figure out a way out of the Power Lease that they talked a lot of new L owners into...since there will be no new L to be first in line to buy. Thanks for the update though.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfin
When he asked how you knew, did you say "welcome to the internet age" ?
yeah I told him that is where I heard it, and he was a little upset cuz someone at Ford would have been the one to leak that info and he was a bit torqued about it, but oh well.

Quote:
It sucks that you confirmed my last post. I was hoping the leaks were fake since I wanted an 07 Lightning bad. I did hear it isn't gone for good and just on hold, but only time will tell on that one. I think enough people are going to complain that ford will realize it to be a mistake.
I think you are right about that, it is on hold, but we will see where it goes.

Quote:
At last report, the new cobra is going to have the same 5.4L engine that the Ford GT has. It will be naturally aspirated and have 500 hp in stock form. They are also going to offer an option for a super cooler for WOT conditions that routes the intake air through the AC for a quick blast of "ice cold" air. This will be for no more than 15 or so seconds though I heard.

Needless to say, if they come out with a 500 HP NA mustang, look out when people start bolting on power adders. I think we will be looking at quite a few 700+ HP mustangs on the street (assuming they have and pass emmisions).
I want one is all I can say, I'll trade mine in for it.

Quote:
Too bad for the L though. The test mule and concept pics sure looked great. Now ford can figure out a way out of the Power Lease that they talked a lot of new L owners into...since there will be no new L to be first in line to buy. Thanks for the update though.
You are totally welcome man, and I will always see if there are any cool updates that I relay to everyone.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:45 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to LuvMyGT
Cool!
Only 800 Cobras is a bunch of *** though. I think they're going a bit overboard. A Cobra isn't supposed to be something only the rich elites can afford.

P.S. It's Lightning. Lightening is a verb.
LuvMyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 04:20 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyGT
P.S. It's Lightning. Lightening is a verb.
Thank you, I was never any good at english, or spelling for that matter, that is why i like spell check
Old 10-29-2004, 04:25 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thank you, I was never any good at english, or spelling for that matter, that is why i like spell check
Oh blah blah, don't sweat it man. I'm just anal.

What we should be worrying about is how the hell we're going to afford a 550hp Cobra! Maybe if we put all our money together and trade off driving it every week.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:49 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Falcon Send a message via MSN to Falcon Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon
i think its gay that they will have that much power and only 800, you sure it aint just some special edition one? cuz only 800 the price is gonna be higher than the freakin ford gt
Full Stainless Magnaflow Exhaust, Stainless Longtubes/Off Road Y-Pipe, QTP E-Cutout, HP Tuners, Super Sucker Ram Air Kit, BMR Tunnel Brace/Driveshaft Safety Loop, Hotchkis Panhard Bar, Hypertech 160 Thermostat, CF Whisper Air Lid, Corvette FRCs, K&N, !AIR, !EGR
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 04:56 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon
i think its gay that they will have that much power and only 800, you sure it aint just some special edition one? cuz only 800 the price is gonna be higher than the freakin ford gt
I am pretty sure, the guy is the lead engineer on the project. It's just the Cobra models, but time will tell, when he comes to show the car I'll ask him some more info, so if you have any questions tell me and I will ask him for you.

Quote:
Oh blah blah, don't sweat it man. I'm just anal.

What we should be worrying about is how the hell we're going to afford a 550hp Cobra! Maybe if we put all our money together and trade off driving it every week.
Ok that is fine, I will take you up on that, lol. No food or drink in the car or smoking. lol
Old 10-29-2004, 05:00 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
... or smoking. lol
Awww, not even crack?!

You know I like to smoke a big fat bag of crack before I get behind the wheel of a 500+hp vehicle......
Old 10-29-2004, 05:15 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Falcon Send a message via MSN to Falcon Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon
Quote:
Awww, not even crack?!

You know I like to smoke a big fat bag of crack before I get behind the wheel of a 500+hp vehicle......
Full Stainless Magnaflow Exhaust, Stainless Longtubes/Off Road Y-Pipe, QTP E-Cutout, HP Tuners, Super Sucker Ram Air Kit, BMR Tunnel Brace/Driveshaft Safety Loop, Hotchkis Panhard Bar, Hypertech 160 Thermostat, CF Whisper Air Lid, Corvette FRCs, K&N, !AIR, !EGR
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 05:19 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Awww, not even crack?!

HOLY CRAP! I havent laughed that hard in forever. My boss looked at me funny.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:29 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
HOLY CRAP! I havent laughed that hard in forever. My boss looked at me funny.
oop. Hope you don't get fired. Tell him I was joking about the crack. I haven't done that **** since kindergarten.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:34 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
hmmm, 800 and over 500hp stock sounds more like a new Cobra R, huh?
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 11:42 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick0636
hmmm, 800 and over 500hp stock sounds more like a new Cobra R, huh?
exactly my thoughts
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 12:25 AM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
im gonna have to call bs on a 550hp cobra. you really think theyre gonna make a car that costs under 50k have better performance than one that costs over 100k?

besides, i wouldnt trust anything i hear from ford. my buddy was a salesman and his manager kept telling him theyre bringing back the 5.0 for 05 and the v6er is going to be bored to a 4.6. when i talked to him and told him what i knew from a certain mustang site he insisted i was wrong. haha bo do we all know who won that argument now. so until i see it in person, i call bs.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 02:01 AM   #18
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to Dom
Yea, I don't seem em making 500+HP and then keeping that IRS in the back. More than likely they are just gonna turn the boost up on the '03 Cobra engine. It won't take them much to outrun the new Vette anyway.
Old 10-30-2004, 02:13 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGSTdude
im gonna have to call bs on a 550hp cobra. you really think theyre gonna make a car that costs under 50k have better performance than one that costs over 100k?

besides, i wouldnt trust anything i hear from ford. my buddy was a salesman and his manager kept telling him theyre bringing back the 5.0 for 05 and the v6er is going to be bored to a 4.6. when i talked to him and told him what i knew from a certain mustang site he insisted i was wrong. haha bo do we all know who won that argument now. so until i see it in person, i call bs.
That is totally understandable, it's hard to believe something you hear from word of mouth, but when I get photo's of this thing and all that good junk I will post up with it, and make sure to have most the facts. Here in November is when I will get to see it, so be prepared.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar