Mustang Evolution Forum banner

01GT vs. wrx

6K views 42 replies 19 participants last post by  douGT 
#1 ·
My buddy is bringing his turbo wrx to the race track in Feb or March. He has been a little smack talkin rasberry quief tart! We are going to race for money , so i can shut him up. He has already flaked on me twice @ the racetrack. But he always wants to race when we are chillin somewhere. I say everytime "save it for the track" penis face. He has a wr gay with a downpipe, boost controller, & intake. What will this fisher price, non torque mobile run in the quarter? Should I be scared or should I blast some Mudvaine, do a FAT burnout, launch @ 4,000 & be waiting at the finish saying "wait till I get my intercooled vortech" :lol:

#2 ·
You should be fine as long as it isn't an sti

#3 ·
I have raced an sti before & beat him. He says his is quicker than an sti. :bs:

#5 ·
Ya your right wrx's die after third gear.; What do the evo's run stock?

#6 ·
Dom said:
WRX's (STi's included) are not really that fast. Stock. But since he has a boost controller might wanna find out how much PSI he is running. However, if you were running against an Evo 8, might wanna pick up that Vortech.
Not true sti's are fast. THey will beat a stock 03-04 cobra in every event. Not by much, but will beat it none-the-less.

#7 ·
Maybe on April 1st, if the cobras e-brake is on. Handling & braking I bet.

#8 ·
sonic04edge said:
Not true sti's are fast. THey will beat a stock 03-04 cobra in every event. Not by much, but will beat it none-the-less.
There is a debate going on over on SVTP about this today actually. Many say cobra will smoke em, some say the STI. Either way, if I run into an STI and get beat, or any other car for that matter, that is just more motivation to install the next mod, or to look for the next mod.

My thought is this, if you are running sub 13s as you are right now, you will probably get the STI unless the driver is good or has a great shifting auto. The fact that the dude never wants to run you at the track, and only talks smack when you are chillin combined with the fact that you are running sub 13s in a GT, kind of points me to a conclusion he can't drive and you can. Either way, run him. If you lose, put on the vortech and then school him. If you win, put on the vortech and school him again even worse.

#10 ·
sonic04edge said:

A stock 03/04 cobra will smoke a stock sti in a highway pull. When the STI loses the advantage of awd

#11 ·
stock WRX's run high 13s to low 14s stock. The thing is, is that stock turbo'd cars are EASY to increase hp. They come stock with a lot of air restriction for emissions. With a simple turbo-back exhaust (i know on my car and the STi's) can pick up almost 40whp... no joke. With his boost controller, the stock boost isnt going to fluctuate thru the boost controller solenoid so he will be holding more boost all the way to redline == more hp. I would be willing to bet he has shaved anywhere from 0.6-1.0sec off his ET from stock with intake, exhaust, boost controller, and tuned it. I would be willing to bet he is faster than a stock STi if he knows what he's doing.

Oh, and if he launches properly, he WILL beat you off the line. WRX's have awd and he won't spin. Just so you know and don't think you're king **** with a 4,000rpm clutch drop.

It will be a close race, but you should come out the victor by about 0.2-0.3sec.

#12 ·
Thanks for the help (answers) I thought sti's run like a 13 flat, guess I was wrong. I wish I could pass smog with a turbo. I want one so bad instead of supercharger.

#14 ·
:confused:

#15 ·
sonic04edge said:
This is how I invision an 03 cobra vs STI race going.

Cobra Mods: Steeda CAI and Cat Back
STI Mods: ???

And if anyone knows the song that is played...let me know. Thanks.

Save as...

#19 ·
That St gay had no top end @ all! You could of started in second and beat him. lol :disgust:

#20 ·
WhiteStang99 said:
sweeeeet.

That is a pimp song btw. Post it if somebody knows
I have the song title...but it is at work at the moment. I was going to post it but then the site went down. I do know that it is from the matrix revolutions soundtrack though. I will post the name of it tomorrow...there is also a second song in there I guess which is from a game I think. I have the names at work.

#21 ·
The song in the vid is Navras off the matrix revolutions soundtrack. There is suposedly a second song, which I am guess is the opening credits, that is the opening song from the World of Warcraft.

#22 ·
Post some more 03' cobras or GT's Smokin cars with that song. :D

#23 ·
Js281GT said:
That St gay had no top end @ all! You could of started in second and beat him. lol :disgust:
Four wheel drive takes away from your top end. I don't think they got that high but I believe the reason sti's don't do well up top is because they have two overdrive gears. Can anyone confirm this? Also, sti's are not bad for 2.0 litres. If I remember correctly stock for stock the sti and cobra of the same year should be within 1/10 of a second difference in the quarter mile. Anything after that is driver or mods. By the way the 1/4 mile statement was from facts based on either car and driver or hot rod magazine, I don't remember which.

#24 ·
The new ones are 2.5 liters I think. I would like to have one (for off roading) Turbos are alot better. Imagine if ford made the 03' cobras turboed! :worship:

#25 ·
Js281GT said:
The new ones are 2.5 liters I think. I would like to have one (for off roading) Turbos are alot better. Imagine if ford made the 03' cobras turboed! :worship:
I don't think the new ones are 2.5 litres. I believe the world rally rules state that the engine has to be 2.0 litres or smaller which is why the evolution is 2.0 litres as well. I believe what is the case, is that there is a subaru wrx r.s. which is not turbo charged and is 2.5 litres, however, I'm also under the impression that it is still slower than the regular wrx.

#26 ·
the STi's have always been 2.5L engines (in the U.S.) anyway. They didnt want to run higher boost, so they built a new alum. engine with a 2.5L engine.

AWD has never been good at topend. They get all their power from 0-80mph.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.