Mustang Evolution

Mustang Evolution (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/)
-   The Bar (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f99/)
-   -   Install those bastards yourself! (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f99/t11396/)

99CobraVert 01-07-2005 01:06 AM

Install those bastards yourself!

Just thought I'd throw out my opinion and recommend doing your mods yourself except the really complicated stuff like gears or springs (IRS especially). You'll have more appreciation for your car and it theres way more satisfaction in it, and besides its a pleasure to spend the day with your car :D

99CobraVert 01-07-2005 01:06 AM

yeah i know im short on mods, but i bought this car two weeks ago :uhh:

red herring 01-07-2005 01:10 AM

Never had a mod I didn't do myself besides the chip, you have to send your computer away and they send it back to you with the chip, at least in my case. And couldn't agree more, everyone should learn how to work on cars, you'd be surprised how many people don't even know how to get their spare tire :disgust: whenever I start talking about driving laws I always have to think about people like that who don't know anything about their cars nor how to drive them correctly.

Dark02Pony 01-07-2005 01:10 AM

Amen to that,, btw welcome to the board..yeah thats late

Thomas91169 01-07-2005 05:14 AM

i hate it when people buy the car and have it modded to either fit in or be respected by their peers. its so fast and furious/ricer style. there are about 5 "[erformance" shops that do installs here, and they only install things on hondas, big suprise there.

unless i dont have the know how, its usually installed myself. i had the timing belt replaced by ford cause my buddy worked as a salesman and i only had to pay 150 cause he knew the service mgr, well for that price hell yeah ill pay and save the time and punishment of doing it myself. i also had my clutch installed by a tranny shop who worked previously on my tbird numerous times, they quoted me 250 for install, and i didnt have the tools nor time to drop a tranny and do it myself.

before spring i will have a new turbo, fuel pump and safc2 all installed by me and my freind. it also helps when you know a guy who has done the same exact install on 4 other eclipses, so it should go smoothly.

Danger Dude 01-07-2005 06:00 AM

I have been preaching Do-It-Yourself-Modding for over 20 years as well as buying most of ther tools required to do the work yourself.

:D

Seph 01-07-2005 06:13 AM

drive over to my place and do those things for me :P

fast64 01-07-2005 06:23 AM

I am doing paint, body work, interior, engine swap, everything myself!

Ourstable 01-07-2005 08:34 AM

My husband and I dropped a 351W in our 68 Cougar by ourselves and for sure it is a great feeling to do things yourself. We do the majority of mods by ourselves- can't see paying someone else to do it. Getting all the interior for my 68 stang ready to install. Finally!

RDS02Stang 01-07-2005 09:26 AM

I've done all of my mods, except the gears and the tuning after I put in the SC :good

I advocate doing the work yourself, get the proper tools and learn - before I had to move due to a job I had the heated garage for all the "Mod Parties" of the Buckeye Stangs :D

red herring 01-07-2005 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danger Dude
Ias well as buying most of ther tools required to do the work yourself.
:D

Man does that part suck, do you guys have to buy special tools for your cars? I know a lot of times I presonally rig something up instead of getting the proper tools. I am confident over $10,000 would have been spent for me if I always used the special tools the bentley manual called for. Especially in the cam swap, Kris knows about that one, I'm sure we worked 24 hours straight on that one (cause we didn't have the right tools, one to hold the cams down, one to lock the crank, one for this one for that, all over 1,000 bucks each, bah!)

NorwegianMustang 01-07-2005 02:06 PM

Paying for getting any bolt-ons installed is a waste of money.

When I got my car I didn't know anything about cars, but now I've installed every mod I've got for my car. Kinda provd :D

WhiteStang99 01-07-2005 02:10 PM

I've always done my own stuff if I can. I love it.

Danger Dude 01-07-2005 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red herring
Man does that part suck, do you guys have to buy special tools for your cars? I know a lot of times I presonally rig something up instead of getting the proper tools. I am confident over $10,000 would have been spent for me if I always used the special tools the bentley manual called for. Especially in the cam swap, Kris knows about that one, I'm sure we worked 24 hours straight on that one (cause we didn't have the right tools, one to hold the cams down, one to lock the crank, one for this one for that, all over 1,000 bucks each, bah!)

I have over 10,000 dollars worth of Snap-On tools at home. I am a Mechanic though :D ;)

V6STANG007 01-07-2005 02:19 PM

not having the right tools sucks a$$, it is always harder and takes longer...I try to do my own stuff as well, And that goes for evrything. I hate paying people do do stuff I can do or learn how to do myself

red herring 01-07-2005 02:19 PM

Quote:

I have over 10,000 dollars worth of Snap-On tools at home. I am a Mechanic though :D ;)

I do too, snap on is top notch, haha. What I'm talking about is Bmw specialty tools, they're ridiculously expensive

red herring 01-07-2005 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V6STANG007
not having the right tools sucks a$$, it is always harder and takes longer...I try to do my own stuff as well, And that goes for evrything. I hate paying people do do stuff I can do or learn how to do myself

hey, 232stangs buddy!!!!! :lmao:

NorwegianMustang 01-07-2005 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteStang99
I've always done my own stuff if I can. I love it.

I got to install my mods if I want to or not, since no one will even look at my Mustang over here. So I got to try and hopefully not fail :D

red herring 01-07-2005 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorwegianMustang
I got to install my mods if I want to or not, since no one will even look at my Mustang over here. So I got to try and hopefully not fail :D

At least you have mustangevolution.com to ask for advice or how to's

V6STANG007 01-07-2005 02:27 PM

Quote:

hey, 232stangs buddy!!!!! :lmao:

ahaha he luvs me

Danger Dude 01-07-2005 02:28 PM

Quote:

I do too, snap on is top notch, haha. What I'm talking about is Bmw specialty tools, they're ridiculously expensive

I have some of those crazy tools also espcially for GE CF6-50, -88 Jet Turbine engines and Pratt whitney JT-8 and -9's Turbine Engines. Some of them are $2,000 a piece

red herring 01-07-2005 02:43 PM

Quote:

I have some of those crazy tools also espcially for GE CF6-50, -88 Jet Turbine engines and Pratt whitney JT-8 and -9's Turbine Engines. Some of them are $2,000 a piece

Man, I want a jet turbine engine! What if you had one that you could put on a car and tilt during turns for downforce, that would be sweet.

SpectorV 01-07-2005 02:44 PM

I do everything I feel I can, cuz it must be done right lol, if i get it worked on i help :)

STEVE 01-07-2005 07:56 PM

Quote:

man i wish had so many tools, my suspension teacher has a shop and he has $60,000 worth of tools all snap on. some day i will have that many tools or more.
i just got to finish school.

Exit_In_Red 01-12-2005 12:07 AM

I wish i could do everything myself. But noooo, my girfriend doesnt trust me. Meaning, she thinks i'll mess up my car. She thinks i should leave it to 'proffesionals'. I envy you guys n' gals who do installs yourself.

Dark02Pony 01-12-2005 12:26 AM

ahh so the boss wins on that! haha i always do my own work, or well the majority of it no matter what people say :D

lowflyn 01-12-2005 10:27 AM

I love working on my car and learning how to do stuff with it...taught myself a ton of stuff off my car

NorwegianMustang 01-12-2005 12:48 PM

When I changed my shocks and struts, I took it to a Ford auto shop so they could loosen the top nut up front. They couldn't since it was a Mustang, they wouldn't even look at it just because it was a Mustang.

So I took it to a go cart place and borrowed their air tools.

So I got to learn and do everything I want to do with my car my self.

WhiteStang99 01-12-2005 12:55 PM

^ that kinda sucks that nobody will work on your car...

Danger Dude 01-12-2005 12:55 PM

Quote:

When I changed my shocks and struts, I took it to a Ford auto shop so they could loosen the top nut up front. They couldn't since it was a Mustang, they wouldn't even look at it just because it was a Mustang.

That is really screwed up !!!! I really need to know why " because it was a Mustang"

NorwegianMustang 01-12-2005 02:28 PM

Quote:

That is really screwed up !!!! I really need to know why " because it was a Mustang"

Because the Mustang is a US Ford and not German Ford ;)

Danger Dude 01-12-2005 02:33 PM

Quote:

Because the Mustang is a US Ford and not German Ford ;)

That is Odd I have had no attitude from the Norwegian Flight crews on the P-3 Orions we work on here at Lockheed Martin. Maybe I will ask them if they have a probem with the US. If they say yes I bring in some special exlax brownies for them to eat on :D

J/K but that is totally screwed up!!!!

lowflyn 01-12-2005 02:35 PM

Ya dude, that's messed up

Zim 01-12-2005 03:42 PM

word... springs arent a hard install though, go ahead and do that yourself :)

Exit_In_Red 01-15-2005 01:51 PM

YESSS!!!! I finally did something myself about 10 minutes ago. I know its childplay for alot of you, maybe even all of you, but i just uncapped my headers. I have NEVER worked on my car myself, but im happy. And its not neccesarly 'working' on my car. Anyways, i pat myself on the back :)

11:32 PM