Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Sumitomo Tires Good or Bad HELP!

5K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  SpectorV 
#1 ·
Looking to buy HTRZ 275/40/17 - 315/35/17 I was about to buy these then I thought I would ask the masses, the pros and cons on these tires - wear - rain ETC. I could use the help. Thanks in advance PONYBOY94

#2 · (Edited)
I have them on my black bullitts. They are an okay tire...tread wear is pretty good, I've put considerable miles on them and they still have a lot of tread. Rain can be tricky, I've had some issues in deeper water collections but on ordinary wet pavement they are fine.

As with all high performance tires, in temperatures under 50 degrees or higher in some tires' cases, the compound hardens making the tire perform poorly (handling, traction, grip) compared to in warmer temperatures. That's why it's advised to store the HTRZ's during winter.

Bottom line...a lot of companies use HTRZ's in their tire packages because it's a cheap tire that offers fair performance. If you don't plan on doing a bunch of corner carving or 1320 runs I say get the Sumitomos.

#3 ·
Thanks for your imput. I have tires and rims for the winter, I thought they might be ok but I needed to ask. I'm getting the same rims you have and tires I guess. Thanks for always answering my questions it's always nise to get a reply. PONYBOY94

#5 ·
Yah they definitely aren't the best for hooking up at the track...hell I can turn them over on the street by just flooring it at a light...and I'm an auto v6 :eek:

but those 315's do look badass out back and the tires aren't bad for normal street duty.

#10 ·
I like the Generals and Falkens PK/FK 452's. I haven't taken them to the strip, however feel that both corner well as I've rotated them at least once and they both seem to grip well rain or shine. They are also very quite. I ordered the generals through Tirerack, however I believe I got the falkens at discounttiredirect.com. Pretty reasonable prices and low shipping/free if i remember correctly. Ohh and a side not the generals have a treadwear rating of 360 which is damn good for a 275/35/18 tire.

#11 ·
you get what you pay for, they will be fine im sure just not a super amazing performance tire or anything.

check with tirerack.com and discounttiredirect.com as well ( they haggle )

#12 ·
Why not American muscle? I just ordered tires and rims from there and it helps the site.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.