Mustang Evolution

Mustang Evolution (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/)
-   1996-2004 Mustang GT (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f280/)
-   -   I'm missin'.....Plug problems? (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f280/t26462/)

ChickStang02 03-10-2007 10:14 PM

I'm missin'.....Plug problems?

ok, so, my car has a mis in it, so, I change the plugs this morning. I remove the boot, and it's full of sand. I'm assuming because I just bought it from MI. and everythings sand up there. BUT there's one spark plug that I can't seem to get out. And it's the most corosive and has hardened sand around it, so I'm assuming the last person to change them, didn't change that one either, because it's a ***** to get out. Dunno. I'm hoping the new plugs will make her run better, but I can't seem to get the last one out, any idea's?

meteorachick 03-10-2007 11:00 PM

Re: I'm missin'.....Plug problems?

holy crap, i live next to the beach and i don't have a bit of sand in my car lol

Thomas91169 03-10-2007 11:09 PM

im guessing its the passenger side closest to the firewall.

a couple wobble head extensions should be able to get you the right amount of leverage and work better at delivering the maximum amount of torque to the nut than a universal.

1234 03-12-2007 12:27 AM

Put the tool on and put some force behind it. It will break loose.

rocknbronco 03-12-2007 09:05 PM

Get some good penitration oil once the car is warmed up spray some heavy coats on there and maybe even a light coat or two before it gets hot should let it sit over night and then try it the next day if at all possible if not wait thirty minutes and try again.....

SpectorV 03-12-2007 09:10 PM

definatly put some penetration oil on it, breaking bolts is not fun.

Kiljosh 03-12-2007 09:13 PM

Yea like he said, I would get the motor a little warm, not operating temperature, spray some pb blaster on it, use the right tools to get enough leverage and it will pop loose. The easiest way to move a stuck bolt is instead of putting a constant force on the ratchet, set it on the plug and kind of hit it quickly. Like a quick push, stop, quick push, stop. Just make sure its on there nice and tight and keep doing quick pushes.

bbunt302 03-12-2007 09:15 PM

Also remember: Longer handle on wrench = more torque.

Put a piece of pipe on the end of the wrench and then give it a shot.

rocknbronco 03-12-2007 09:23 PM

Yeah a cheater pipe might be needed but dont brake the plug.

ChickStang02 03-12-2007 11:21 PM

Ok guys, did almost everything you all suggested, and after a couple hit and misses, I GOT IT! Thanx for the help, I also changed my air filter, OMG if i don't think it was the original. It was so flippin' black, I don't know how the car was breathing at all! I've never seen anything like it. Bad news, It's still missin' any suggestions what should come next? Coils maybe?

Thomas91169 03-13-2007 12:04 AM

check the fuel filter. if that fails, seafoam it.

SpectorV 03-13-2007 08:48 AM

make sure you dont over tighten the plugs and you use antiseeze! (youve got it all back together now... but just fyi)

silverstangboy 03-13-2007 05:43 PM

blow the plug holes out really good with compressed air, I had a lil bit of moisture in one of mine that I had no idea was there, was enough to arch the load to the block instead of through the plug though.

ChickStang02 03-13-2007 11:36 PM

Hmm...never thought of that silver. I think maybe I'll try a new gas filter next. It's just pretty depressing to just get my car, pay a good chunk for it, and have to work on it right away. The mis seams to get worse, instead of better. :disgust:

bbunt302 03-14-2007 07:26 AM

I'm going to put my money on the coil pack again. They seem to be a pretty common problem on the 99-04 3.8s. Have the local dealer check it out.

1996stang 03-14-2007 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbunt302 (Post 385394)
I'm going to put my money on the coil pack again. They seem to be a pretty common problem on the 99-04 3.8s. Have the local dealer check it out.

this car is a gt or atleast the one in the garage is.

bbunt302 03-14-2007 11:27 AM

And this is in the 4.6 Mustang GT section. You know... you may be on to something... :)

It still sounds a lot like the coil packs though.

1996stang 03-14-2007 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbunt302 (Post 385419)
And this is in the 4.6 Mustang GT section. You know... you may be on to something... :)

It still sounds a lot like the coil packs though.

could very well be and i just happen to have a whole set for-sale :)

Kiljosh 03-14-2007 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickStang02 (Post 385370)
Hmm...never thought of that silver. I think maybe I'll try a new gas filter next. It's just pretty depressing to just get my car, pay a good chunk for it, and have to work on it right away. The mis seams to get worse, instead of better. :disgust:

I know it seems bad that you have to do all this work to the car just to get something like this to stop but just imagine when the car is actually running great. Like bbunt said the coil pack is definitley up next, I would put my internet cash down on it as well.

ChickStang02 03-14-2007 09:21 PM

Yea, It seems that's what it probably is, the hubby says we'll buy one and keep changing it to see which one it is. HAHA 3.8 pfft:disgust: 4.6 power! haha. I'll let ya know what happens next, hopefully it will fix her.

1996stang 03-14-2007 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickStang02 (Post 385562)
Yea, It seems that's what it probably is, the hubby says we'll buy one and keep changing it to see which one it is. HAHA 3.8 pfft:disgust: 4.6 power! haha. I'll let ya know what happens next, hopefully it will fix her.

Just a heads up coils are $55+ each at a dealer if you need a set and are for sure thats the problem let me know i got a whole set for less than half a dealer will charge.

silverstangboy 03-14-2007 11:33 PM

oh, I thought we were talking 4-6 not 3.8, in that case disregard my previous post :)

(hosed again by bbunt I see, so it is in fact a 4.6, whats with that?)

ChickStang02 03-15-2007 11:24 PM

LOL, not sure where the confusion there is, but she is indeed a GT 4.6 . So what I did is buy one coil, and I'm changing it until I find out where it needs to be, is this smart, or should I change them all together, I thought I was just saving myself some money. But now I'm not too sure. :eek:

bullitt482 03-16-2007 04:45 PM

Changing them one at a time is no big deal. Only thing that would suck is if you have more than one coil pack bad. I would take it to a dealer(or a trusted someone with a scanner), hook it up to a scanner, see which cylinder is misfiring and change that coil pack.

silverstangboy 03-17-2007 12:12 AM

yeah, good advise bullit

this is what I did when I had a good friend working for ford... cost nothing, found no problems with my equipment, did however locate the plugs giving me problems and led to me finding my moisture problem.

ChickStang02 03-17-2007 12:20 AM

But thats where my problem lies. My brother is a ford mechanic, he hooked it up, telling me all the while that most time, unless the check engine light is on, it won't show anything wrong. And sure enough, it wouldn't show anything. So at the moment I'm going through them, one per day, so I can drive it a while on each change over. And nothing so far. Hope soon I'll have some good news to report and this annoying thing will be fixed. Most of the time I wish I knew more about the workings of the engine to make better calls, and I sooooooooo appreciate your guys help, It's been great!

Tape 05-02-2007 12:14 AM

just buy one if your buying, if you change it and still missing then put the one you took out and swap it to the next plug instead of buying them, I had a boot insulator cause mine $4.99 ea. Your bro is correct if no light then scanning will result nothing.

edit: geeesh, didn't know this thread was so old.

Thomas91169 05-02-2007 01:09 AM

isnt there a way to check the coils by using a voltmeter or some other method?

1996stang 05-02-2007 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverstangboy (Post 385295)
blow the plug holes out really good with compressed air, I had a lil bit of moisture in one of mine that I had no idea was there, was enough to arch the load to the block instead of through the plug though.

If there was sand around the plug i would not go putting air to it :good:

Thomas91169 05-02-2007 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1996stang (Post 398585)
If there was sand around the plug i would not go putting air to it :good:

sure you can, just as long as you dont take the plug out first and let all that sand get into the motor............

Tape 05-02-2007 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas91169 (Post 398583)
isnt there a way to check the coils by using a voltmeter or some other method?

set the meter to ohm's and see if it's open, it will only be good or bad, not like some people think... "may be going bad"

DarkShadow 05-02-2007 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tape (Post 398651)
set the meter to ohm's and see if it's open, it will only be good or bad, not like some people think... "may be going bad"

Yep. You must work at a parts store don't you?

Did we ever get this resolved?

Tape 05-02-2007 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkShadow (Post 398665)
Yep. You must work at a parts store don't you?

Did we ever get this resolved?

nope, retired aircraft tech, I don't know if it was ever resolved but I did awaken the dead.. this is a couple of months old :)

bullitt482 05-02-2007 04:56 PM

Cool, what aircraft did you work on and what branch?

ADD FTW

Tape 05-02-2007 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullitt482 (Post 398761)
Cool, what aircraft did you work on and what branch?

ADD FTW

I started over there where you are in 1980 with the T-38 then to Blytheville Ark (not Blytheville now) on the KC-135R then to Alaska KC-135 then Shaw AFB on the F16's. Now I'm just a bum with no job and will stay that way til I'm a dead Bum :)

08:11 PM