Mustang Evolution

Mustang Evolution (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/)
-   2.3 Mustang (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f359/)
-   -   Turbo Coupe swap (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f359/t283871/)

MC770 11-03-2010 02:01 PM

Turbo Coupe swap

So I found a Turbo coupe and they only want 700 for the whole running car and it has a clean title and everything. Now the question is should I buy it to replace my four cylinder with a TC four cylinder????

MC770 11-03-2010 02:02 PM

Re: Turbo Coupe swap

And if I do how much of a horse power difference will there be

04DSGM1 11-03-2010 11:40 PM

Well $700 is cheaper than buying and installing a turbo. If everything is correct it sounds like a deal.

Straublittleman 11-04-2010 12:28 AM

It gives you as much power as a stock 5.0 maybe a little less. I don't know your year of car but the older fox came with the same motor so it shouldn't be to hard.

MC770 11-04-2010 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Straublittleman (Post 799970)
It gives you as much power as a stock 5.0 maybe a little less. I don't know your year of car but the older fox came with the same motor so it shouldn't be to hard.

Well I'm running a 2.3l four cylinder in my 93 fox so it should bolt right in, right?

MC770 11-04-2010 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04DSGM1 (Post 799965)
Well $700 is cheaper than buying and installing a turbo. If everything is correct it sounds like a deal.

Thats what I think to, but this computer and motor are made to run with the five speed manual which of course mine has a four speed automatic w/ overdrive:mad:, So I figured since were getting the whole car I might as well swap transmissions while were at it. I know that it's probably not worth my while to do the swap but this is the only mustang I have and can acquire right now. Unless someone wants to trade for my convertible 93 2.3L automatic

PureVenom 11-04-2010 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MC770 (Post 800011)
Thats what I think to, but this computer and motor are made to run with the five speed manual which of course mine has a four speed automatic w/ overdrive:mad:, So I figured since were getting the whole car I might as well swap transmissions while were at it. I know that it's probably not worth my while to do the swap but this is the only mustang I have and can acquire right now. Unless someone wants to trade for my convertible 93 2.3L automatic

I'll trade ya my 93 2.3L hatch automatic for it. :)

MC770 11-04-2010 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PureVenom (Post 800012)
I'll trade ya my 93 2.3L hatch automatic for it. :)

What have you done to it since the pics( by the way mines still needs a bit of interior work ) Not a good thing is yours is automatic, I was hoping for more of a manual to ease the work load :)

PureVenom 11-04-2010 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MC770 (Post 800014)
What have you done to it since the pics( by the way mines still needs a bit of interior work ) Not a good thing is yours is automatic, I was hoping for more of a manual to ease the work load :)

Hmm, since the pics I've driven it briars about it. Oh, and swapped out the rear shocks and alternator. Oh, and changed the plugs. Other than that, nadda.

It's about to receive a 5.0 and a t5 tho. But I won't be trading it at that point. Lol

Straublittleman 11-05-2010 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MC770 (Post 800010)
Well I'm running a 2.3l four cylinder in my 93 fox so it should bolt right in, right?

Yep should bolt write in you may have to use your motor mounts but not sure. It will make a huge improvement considering your car weighs almost 1000 pounds less than that boat of a thunderchicken. Also to boost more HP invest into a turbo timer and control that wastegate to get more boost out of the turbo and by a blow off valve because it helps big time on saving that motor instead of the unused boost building up in the intake.

I know a chrystler conquest TSI is totally different but I disconected the wastgate on it and it jumped from 8 psi to 15-16 psi and it made a HUGE difference but I do have a huge blow off valve on it to.

MC770 11-05-2010 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Straublittleman (Post 800043)
Yep should bolt write in you may have to use your motor mounts but not sure. It will make a huge improvement considering your car weighs almost 1000 pounds less than that boat of a thunderchicken. Also to boost more HP invest into a turbo timer and control that wastegate to get more boost out of the turbo and by a blow off valve because it helps big time on saving that motor instead of the unused boost building up in the intake.

I know a chrystler conquest TSI is totally different but I disconected the wastgate on it and it jumped from 8 psi to 15-16 psi and it made a HUGE difference but I do have a huge blow off valve on it to.

Yeah thats what I was thinking but I don't know about how a manual engine and the computer is programmed for a manual transmission car and mine is an automatic, Will this create any problems when we do the swap. And if anyone knows, How easy would it be to change an automatic into a manual

Straublittleman 11-05-2010 12:43 PM

It shouldn't be an issue it might idle a little lower than if it was an auto. Also most computers will inerchange with an auto my 94 has a auto in it and it came factory with a 5 speed also mine is electronic tranny and yours isn't that i know of. The hardest part to change your car to standard would be putting the pedals in cause i don't think you can use the turbo coupe pedals but i could be wrong.

MC770 11-05-2010 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Straublittleman (Post 800061)
It shouldn't be an issue it might idle a little lower than if it was an auto. Also most computers will inerchange with an auto my 94 has a auto in it and it came factory with a 5 speed also mine is electronic tranny and yours isn't that i know of. The hardest part to change your car to standard would be putting the pedals in cause i don't think you can use the turbo coupe pedals but i could be wrong.

Well we'll give it a go and i'll be sure to post some pics of the progress:good:

12:09 AM