Mustang Evolution

Mustang Evolution (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/)
-   1996-2004 Mustang GT (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f280/)
-   -   newbie here and need help locating a miss fire problem (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f280/t283877/)

black03cobra 11-03-2010 05:13 PM

newbie here and need help locating a miss fire problem

I made the mistake of detailing my motor so i replaced all of my coils and replaced my plugs also. it still has a miss fire and my mass air flow sensor is not reading properly. check engine light isnt on and not quite sure what else to look for.

PureVenom 11-03-2010 05:19 PM

Re: newbie here and need help locating a miss fire problem

When is the missfire happening? Idle? WOT? RPM?

What did you gap the plugs at when you replaced them? What plugs?

What mods do you have done to your car?

What MAF are you running?

That should get us started at least.

For reference, I clean my engine all the time including hosing it down...so it's not a mistake to detail it.

black03cobra 11-03-2010 05:28 PM

its the factory MAF, and the tech that took a look at it for me said it was reading half of what it should be reading.
the plugs are motorcraft and i didnt gap them, just tightened them down
my mods are just a magnaflow catback and intake.
and im not sure when its miss firing,unsteady idle and loss of power with a heavy tremble at idle

black03cobra 11-03-2010 06:07 PM

its the factory MAF, and the tech that took a look at it for me said it was reading half of what it should be reading.
and im not sure when its miss firing,unsteady idle and loss of power with a heavy tremble at idle

lowflyn 11-03-2010 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by black03cobra (Post 799948)

How did the tech read the MAF? Did he plug into the diagnostic port under the dash?

When Purevenom is talking about gapping he's talking about the actual gap on the spark plug if you replaced them. They don't always come with the right gap. It's been a while but I believe factory gap is around .045 or so off the top of my head.

An easy fix I would try is cleaning the MAF and IAC sensors.

To clean the MAF you need to remove it from the intake and spray on the inlet side with a no-residue no-contact electrical cleaner. Give it a good coating and let it drip off and air dry, do not touch this sensor.

To clean the IAC you need to locate it at the top of your plenum (the piece directly behind the throttle body leading to the supercharger). Take off the two bolts and unplug the harness and clean in the same manner as described above for the MAF.

04DSGM1 11-03-2010 11:32 PM

I had a miss fire problem on my truck. I went to Advance Auto Parts and used there (not sure what it is called) code tester. It told me which plugs were miss firing. Lucky me I just switched two of the plug wires. Also it should tell you what is up with your MAS. Any of the major auto parts store have them O'Riley's, Advance Auto Parts, and Auto Zone.

black03cobra 11-04-2010 07:51 AM

thanx for all the help, im going to gap my plugs and cleans both sensors and hope that its that simple.

zztop1234 11-04-2010 08:44 AM

I use NGK Plugs in mine i think!

SpectorV 11-04-2010 10:46 AM

might as well replace the plus if you didnt already as they are cheap, do not over tighten and use a bit of anti seeze on the threads, tq to spec

black03cobra 11-04-2010 07:07 PM

so whats the best spark plug for this motor?, i want something better than motorcraft.

PureVenom 11-04-2010 10:20 PM

Ngk tr6. Part number 4177

lowflyn 11-05-2010 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PureVenom (Post 800036)
Ngk tr6. Part number 4177

Ditto:

I just don't know how well a colder plug will work on a stock boost car, but it won't hurt.

PureVenom 11-06-2010 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowflyn (Post 800094)
Ditto:

I just don't know how well a colder plug will work on a stock boost car, but it won't hurt.

Forgotabout that. Stock heat range is Ngk tr55.

black03cobra 11-09-2010 05:45 PM

so i went with the NGK's and its more responsive but i still have a noticeable tremble at idle. im going to clean both intake sensors tomorrow. how big of a deal is it to repair the tick i have coming from the motor out of my driverside wheel well? im just really ready to put my 2.81 pulley on but i want to feel assured that its ready for more boost.

lowflyn 11-09-2010 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by black03cobra (Post 800278)
so i went with the NGK's and its more responsive but i still have a noticeable tremble at idle. im going to clean both intake sensors tomorrow. how big of a deal is it to repair the tick i have coming from the motor out of my driverside wheel well? im just really ready to put my 2.81 pulley on but i want to feel assured that its ready for more boost.

Read here for the tick explanation:
Terminator FAQs

Are you sure it's the actual tick or just the injectors? Injectors are quite loud on these cars.

The tremble you're talking about occurs only at idle? It might just be the way these idle, mine has always had it and moving to my current setup made it more noticeable.

black03cobra 11-09-2010 07:18 PM

yeah, its definitely the "tick". If its going to hold me back from making more power i'll have to replace that head. Any suggestions on a preferred motor oil?

tjzola 11-10-2010 06:20 PM

I would have done the same thing or told black03cobra make sure that all plugs and MAF should have been checked cleaned all the above.

lowflyn 11-11-2010 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by black03cobra (Post 800292)
yeah, its definitely the "tick". If its going to hold me back from making more power i'll have to replace that head. Any suggestions on a preferred motor oil?

I don't know the tick has ever been proven to cause an engine failure. It's not the best thing for the motor, but I don't see it stopping you from future plans.

As far as oil, you will get a million responses. Just pick one you like and stay with it. Personally I run Mobil 1 5w30 synthetic.

04:28 PM