Mustang Evolution

Mustang Evolution (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/)
-   1979-1995 Mustang GT (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f142/)
-   -   solenoid wire & tail light question (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f142/t301415/)

93_347foxbody 03-22-2012 10:20 PM

solenoid wire & tail light question
 
anyone know what the yellow wire coming off the solenoid is bc its drawing power at all times, and what else could it be if my tail lights dont stay on but the brake lights work and the reverse lights and all work and i tested the harness and that fine too

dreamstang 03-22-2012 10:33 PM

are you talking about your starter silinoid?the reason i ask is because alot of people tend to wire up many things off of it because it is a good 12 volt source thats easily accesible.

93_347foxbody 03-22-2012 10:35 PM

Re: solenoid wire & tail light question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamstang (Post 1093499)
are you talking about your starter silinoid?the reason i ask is because alot of people tend to wire up many things off of it because it is a good 12 volt source thats easily accesible.

yeah the starter one and idk the yellow wire seems stock bc it goes with a bunch of other wires in this tube through the firewall

---------- Post added at 11:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 PM ----------

**starter solenoid

dreamstang 03-22-2012 10:39 PM

if its hooked to the same terminal as the positive battery cable,then ou will always read 12 volts.are you sure its actually drawing power?or are you getting reading off the battery?i would check the battery with a meter. and wait a few hours and check it again (without using anything power) and see if the voltage on the battery changed.

93_347foxbody 03-22-2012 10:43 PM

Re: solenoid wire & tail light question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamstang (Post 1093513)
if its hooked to the same terminal as the positive battery cable,then ou will always read 12 volts.are you sure its actually drawing power?or are you getting reading off the battery?i would check the battery with a meter. and wait a few hours and check it again (without using anything power) and see if the voltage on the battery changed.

i feel somewhat like n idiot bc i didnt even think of which terminalk it was on but non of the other wires on it are drawing power and my battery will be completely drained if i leave it hooked up and idk if theres a short in the tail lights somewhere or something the previous owner messed alot with the electrical and im trying to figure it out

dreamstang 03-22-2012 10:46 PM

you may have to pull of the tubing and trace the wires.ill check out my schematic,but yourmprobably gonna have to follow it.

93_347foxbody 03-22-2012 10:51 PM

Re: solenoid wire & tail light question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamstang (Post 1093521)
you may have to pull of the tubing and trace the wires.ill check out my schematic,but yourmprobably gonna have to follow it.

thats what i didnt wanna do :/ lol oh well

dreamstang 03-22-2012 10:58 PM

Ok yellow is connected to battery +
Btw this schematic is for my 88 vert but should be similar.
Yellow splits to : fuel pump relay,ignition,rear window heat,and on my car goes to convertible something.

dreamstang 03-22-2012 10:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Schematic

93_347foxbody 03-22-2012 11:07 PM

Re: solenoid wire & tail light question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamstang (Post 1093531)
Schematic

thanks ill look into this alot more on sunday

dreamstang 03-22-2012 11:10 PM

no problem.the only thing im not sure about is if your 4 split ismdifferent since you dont have a vert.i looked at my car and the yellow wire on the silinoid splits about 10 inches away from the silinoid.if you only have 3 wires coming off the yellow then its probably the same.if you have 4 like on mine then either the 4th one goes to something else or goes to the same thing but is not used.

93_347foxbody 03-22-2012 11:40 PM

Re: solenoid wire & tail light question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamstang (Post 1093542)
no problem.the only thing im not sure about is if your 4 split ismdifferent since you dont have a vert.i looked at my car and the yellow wire on the silinoid splits about 10 inches away from the silinoid.if you only have 3 wires coming off the yellow then its probably the same.if you have 4 like on mine then either the 4th one goes to something else or goes to the same thing but is not used.

well it should help for the most part it shouldnt be too too different unless my previous owner altered it


04:14 AM

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.