Mustang Evolution

Mustang Evolution (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/)
-   1996-2004 Mustang GT (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f280/)
-   -   Cutting rear springs (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f280/t301576/)

FastEddie03GT 03-25-2012 08:36 PM

Cutting rear springs

I put a set of SVE lowering springs on my 03 GT around a month ago. I can tell over time the springs have settled down more but the rear still has more fender gap than I would like. I thought about cutting the rear springs some to lower the rear one more inch. But I have no idea how much to cut off to get what I want. Has anyone cut aftermarket springs before?

Mathew r Wright 03-25-2012 08:47 PM

Re: Cutting rear springs

Quote:

Originally Posted by FastEddie03GT (Post 1095946)
I put a set of SVE lowering springs on my 03 GT around a month ago. I can tell over time the springs have settled down more but the rear still has more fender gap than I would like. I thought about cutting the rear springs some to lower the rear one more inch. But I have no idea how much to cut off to get what I want. Has anyone cut aftermarket springs before?

Man whatever you do do not! Cut more than just small little bits off! I seen my buddy eff up his springs by cuttin a hole loop off! So I would start with half inches... And remember they are Progressive rate springs so what ya cut off will settle even mor... So if ya think about it half an inch, then over time when they settle they'll be right where you want em... And if it doesn't get ya there pull em back off and cut another quarter maybe, that should be it for sure...

FastEddie03GT 03-25-2012 09:08 PM

Thats what I was afraid of. I might just try to just take the isolators off and see what happens.

Eturner 03-25-2012 09:26 PM

I strongly suggest not to cut your springs!.. I know to many that cut their springs and later regretted it!.. Plus it just might take your rear springs a bit more time to settle in!.. Remember there is more weight over the front of your car than the rear!..

sonicpony03 03-25-2012 09:35 PM

I agree...a lot of guys cut their springs and don't have problems (right away) but it's like piecing together a CAI out of PVC and putting in your engine bay, yah it works but the right way is simply better ;)

Plus as said progressive springs, as well as any spring have a preset load. Once you start cutting off coil, you change that load rate...obviously with less coil for the load to be distributed thru you're creating more stress on the remainder of the spring, which can cause more sagging, squeaking and worst case, a destroyed spring.

Taking out your iso's will lower the car some more...probably ~.5" if you take out both the top and bottom isos. I'd try that, let the car settle for a week or 2 then decide whether it's dropped enough.

SpectorV 03-25-2012 09:47 PM

if they are not progressive they can be cut with a cutoff wheel... but you must be carefule and cut the top of the rears as the pigtail cant be cut off. I would not cut much.... very little.

Mathew r Wright 03-27-2012 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectorV
if they are not progressive they can be cut with a cutoff wheel... but you must be carefule and cut the top of the rears as the pigtail cant be cut off. I would not cut much.... very little.

Yah really I wouldn't cut em either I didn't even think about the spring rate changing... Heck here's an idea, lol just through some extra weight in the trunk, like kids, cinder block or whatever ya got lol just a thought...

SpectorV 03-27-2012 11:06 AM

you can use your OEM ones and cut them if the rate isnt that much off (stock are around 250 linear I believe)

11:37 PM