Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Oil consumption issue @ 101kmi. any conclusions?????

883 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  mi03svt 
#1 ·
Hey whats up? Its been a while since I've been on here. Kind of missed you guys and your 2 cents and such......but, none the less, to the point.....

I have an 01 Cobra convert. w/ a bunch of bolt ons. After Mustang Nationals in Bowling Green 1st wkend in Oct last yr. I've noticed oil consumption issues. last oil change, it was just a hair, like only tenths or so. Now, its more than I care to share. It smokes from the exhaust on initial start up and initial goose of the throttle, but not all the time.

Now, I've run into this issue before with my V6, but that, was due in part to 1st timer luck, dropped the ball on the piston ring install on #6, ended up cracking/breaking the ring in 2 or 3 places, hence....massive oil loss.

But, this, motors never been cracked, over revved once (at Nationals, forgive me for the excitement of the moment and missing a shift), past that its never been overly abused. Oh, yeah, I replaced the passenger side valve cover gasket and spark plug gaskets in Dec.

There, I look forward to hearing what guys had to share, forgive me for the length, just wanted to give as MUCH information as possible to gauge a decent picture. This situation is perplexing me.

See less See more
#2 ·
Just a suggestion, but you can check to make sure you have proper vacuum also check cod blow by. That may tell you a bit more about whats going on. I guess, though, if you have smoke comin out the rear then you probably have blow by. Anyway, thats about all i got.

#4 ·
As far as i know, the easiest was to do that is to take the oil fill cap off while at running temp to see if there is either(slight) suction or if you get little puffs of smoke. You shouldnt have either. That may not be a very scientific way to do it but it should tell you either way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.