Mustang Evolution

Mustang Evolution (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/)
-   1996-2004 Mustang GT (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f280/)
-   -   No mufflers??? (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f280/t304744/)

02gtsilver 05-14-2012 11:16 AM

No mufflers???

What would happen if i took out my mufflers and just ran cats cause my shop will pass me on inspectoin if i throw my mufs back on the day they inspect it. Im not gonna take out the cats cause i dont wanna have to weld them back on for inspection

02gtsilver 05-14-2012 11:35 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The first one is coming out of the motor the second one is a pipe going between the 2 exhaust pipes. Is all that stock?

Attachment 50484

Attachment 50485

Mile high JDF 05-14-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02gtsilver
The first one is coming out of the motor the second one is a pipe going between the 2 exhaust pipes. Is all that stock?

Yes that's all stock, that pipe in between is called a H-pipe. It helps even out the exhaust pulses and produce a little more scavenging. Those in the first pictures are both cats, the mufflers are farther back. personally I would just buy a cat-back instead of just removing the mufflers, that way you can change up the sound and still pass emissions.

02gtsilver 05-15-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDF

Yes that's all stock, that pipe in between is called a H-pipe. It helps even out the exhaust pulses and produce a little more scavenging. Those in the first pictures are both cats, the mufflers are farther back. personally I would just buy a cat-back instead of just removing the mufflers, that way you can change up the sound and still pass emissions.

See heres my problem my friend has an 02 just like mine and took out his mufflers and left the cats and then ran a pipe out each side in front of his rear tires and it sounds BA. And i dont think theres any exauhst out there thatll make that sound.

Mile high JDF 05-16-2012 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02gtsilver

See heres my problem my friend has an 02 just like mine and took out his mufflers and left the cats and then ran a pipe out each side in front of his rear tires and it sounds BA. And i dont think theres any exauhst out there thatll make that sound.

There isnt, it all comes down to personal preference really. I'm not the biggest fan of straight pipes but that's just me. SLP LM1s will sound very similar though.

jdavis96gt 05-18-2012 07:03 AM

Re: No mufflers???

I only have 4 of my cats and stock H pipe with no mufflers, it sounds GD. But only to bout 3000 rpms and then it gets nasty. Not the good nasty either. Pops alot and have to give it gas to go down a steep hill. I bought it that way or I wouldn't had done it. I'm going to take 2 more cats off (in near future) and see if it makes it any better. Trying to save for tuner atm. Getting married in few weeks and fiance said I could spend money on mustang. So theres my tuner and exhaust and hopefully a pi intake kit.

t0t4lbl4ck0ut 05-18-2012 02:20 PM

There's more then 2 cats on the car? I've never heard of that. Then again I've never been under a stock exhaust Stang.

jdavis96gt 05-18-2012 02:35 PM

Re: No mufflers???

Quote:

Originally Posted by t0t4lbl4ck0ut (Post 1154672)
There's more then 2 cats on the car? I've never heard of that. Then again I've never been under a stock exhaust Stang.

Yes there was 6 on my 96 ft. I know that's a lot but I can get bout $30 a piece from junkyard . So not so bad

taylor98gt 05-18-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t0t4lbl4ck0ut

There's 4 cats under mine, soon to be none;D

11:37 PM