Mustang Evolution

Mustang Evolution (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/)
-   1996-2004 Mustang GT (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f280/)
-   -   Transmission ? (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f280/t308747/)

Kotty4643 07-15-2012 04:06 PM

Transmission ?

I have a 96 mustang gt 4.6 v8 I have to replace the clutch I was told it had a t5 put in it but I'm not 100% on that and I was also told that it comes stock with a t45 so I bought an OEM clutch to put in it what I need to know is if it has trues been changed from a t45 to a t5 will a OEM clutch go In with out a problem? ??

96gt014.6 07-15-2012 04:44 PM

They are both 5 speeds and both go into a 4.6 so I wouldn't see why not and a 96 comes with a t45

Mile high JDF 07-15-2012 05:08 PM

There shouldnt be an issue with them, the clutch should be the same.

Kotty4643 07-15-2012 05:36 PM

Thanks I just wanted to make sure before I got under there

Mile high JDF 07-15-2012 06:40 PM

No problem. I have a buddy with a 95 GT who thought he had a T45 when In fact the previous owner had swapped in a T5 from a V6 mustang, and the clutch we installed worked fine.

Kotty4643 08-02-2012 11:32 PM

Re: Transmission ?

ok so i finnaly got the cluthc in a week ago and drove it for a week now the car is stuck in reverse and will not go back in neutral it only goes in reverse and another high gear my friend tried to force it out of reverse when i went to the bathroom now when its in reverse it looks like it is in 5th what do i do

Mile high JDF 08-03-2012 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kotty4643
ok so i finnaly got the cluthc in a week ago and drove it for a week now the car is stuck in reverse and will not go back in neutral it only goes in reverse and another high gear my friend tried to force it out of reverse when i went to the bathroom now when its in reverse it looks like it is in 5th what do i do

Sounds like you need a new tranny

Butch 08-03-2012 12:46 AM

Quote:

Take out your shifter and see if you can see any problemo

Kotty4643 08-03-2012 12:48 AM

i already did all that and it looks fine im thinking its an internal problem but idk

---------- Post added at 12:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

do you think i could just get it rebuilt and if so what is the average price on having that done

Butch 08-03-2012 12:50 AM

Quote:

i already did all that and it looks fine im thinking its an internal problem but idk

---------- Post added at 12:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

do you think i could just get it rebuilt and if so what is the average price on having that done

That too, I paid 1100 and change for mine,, t45

Mile high JDF 08-03-2012 01:00 AM

Quote:

It sounds like he bent your shift fork

Kotty4643 08-03-2012 01:13 AM

thats what i was thinking how hard are they to replace and could i do it my self or would i have to take it somewere and have it done

---------- Post added at 01:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butch (Post 1251820)
That too, I paid 1100 and change for mine,, t45

ok so if i can get it rebuilt for around 600 would that be a good deal?

Mile high JDF 08-03-2012 01:16 AM

Quote:

thats what i was thinking how hard are they to replace and could i do it my self or would i have to take it somewere and have it done

---------- Post added at 01:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 AM ----------

Well anything can be done if you have thew tools. The tranny comes apart easy but if I remember correctly then you need a press to get the gears off. It would almost be a better idea to go to a junk yard and yank another tranny out of another mustang.

Butch 08-03-2012 01:17 AM

Quote:

Would have to take out the tranny, to change the fork And as for the 600 heck yeah that's a deal

Kotty4643 08-03-2012 01:43 AM

i dont know anything about the inner workings of a transmission could i chance the shift fork my self

Butch 08-03-2012 01:50 AM

Quote:

i dont know anything about the inner workings of a transmission could i chance the shift fork my self

Yeah it's a simple pop on type of deal, but gotta take out the tranny, easy just time consuming, and a 2 person job to bring it down and to put it up. 100 lbs may not be much but it can get heavy pretty quick.

Kotty4643 08-03-2012 01:54 AM

i was figuring i was going to have to take the tranny out to do it so do i have to open the tranny up to do it or what and can i buy a shift for from a parts place like auto zone or orileys and do you or anyone know what t5 trans will go in my car like what can i take em out of like what year and stuff like that

Butch 08-03-2012 01:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Not mine, found them online. That little ball type piece, that's where the fork pops into.

Attachment 61992

Attachment 61993

It'll be a little harder,maybe, if you could pull the fork through the opening on your bell housing. But would be a ton better to see what your doing IMO

Butch 08-03-2012 01:58 AM

Quote:

i was figuring i was going to have to take the tranny out to do it so do i have to open the tranny up to do it or what and can i buy a shift for from a parts place like auto zone or orileys and do you or anyone know what t5 trans will go in my car like what can i take em out of like what year and stuff like that

Oh no all the work is done in the housing, as for the fork itself try and get you a good good quality one. Check those places out and try napa too. Are you still running your stock clutch?

Kotty4643 08-03-2012 02:04 AM

if you mean by stock an oem than yea i just put a new oem one in last week .....so the shift fork is what the clutch cable hooks up to because i can push my clutch in and is will roll if the clutch is not pushed in its wont the clutch works i know that becase i can drive my car down the street lol that is if i dont mind backing up the entire time lol

Butch 08-03-2012 02:10 AM

Quote:

if you mean by stock an oem than yea i just put a new oem one in last week .....so the shift fork is what the clutch cable hooks up to because i can push my clutch in and is will roll if the clutch is not pushed in its wont the clutch works i know that becase i can drive my car down the street lol that is if i dont mind backing up the entire time lol

Yeppers that how the fork works, Jajaja darn bro does kinda sound like internals ={ if it was your fork i dont think you could neutralize like you do„ check your oil level too. Could be dry?,,,,, ish,,,, but then again driving in reverse is the new fad, thanks to you ;>

Kotty4643 08-03-2012 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butch (Post 1251864)
Not mine, found them online. That little ball type piece, that's where the fork pops into.

Attachment 61992

Attachment 61993

It'll be a little harder,maybe, if you could pull the fork through the opening on your bell housing. But would be a ton better to see what your doing IMO

thats a clutch fork is that the same thing as a shift fork??

---------- Post added at 02:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 AM ----------

http://images.onlineauction.com/auct...-1489905-1.jpg

its says that is a shift fork

Butch 08-03-2012 02:21 AM

Quote:

thats a clutch fork is that the same thing as a shift fork??

---------- Post added at 02:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 AM ----------

its says that is a shift fork

Ahhh hell my brain knowledge has failed me yet again, my bad bro totally thought you were talking about a clutch fork, :dumbass:. I've never messed with a shift fork, never even heard of it till now, think my tired self needs to go to bed. Again my bad bro, hope I didnt send you in the wrong direction.

Mile high JDF 08-03-2012 02:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Wrong fork. The one you bent is inside the transmission. As I said earlier, it needs torn apart to get to it. This is a crappy photo but those two silver looking arms are shift forks.

Kotty4643 08-03-2012 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butch (Post 1251874)
Yeppers that how the fork works, Jajaja darn bro does kinda sound like internals ={ if it was your fork i dont think you could neutralize like you do„ check your oil level too. Could be dry?,,,,, ish,,,, but then again driving in reverse is the new fad, thanks to you ;>

so you know what mustangs have a t5 trans that will fit in my 96 gt 4.6 because i dont know what i need to look for mainly because i know my car came stock with a t45 and has a t5 in it now and its not what came stock and i also found out that the fly wheel has been replaced with a light weight one im going to find out about that a little more tomorrow though

Butch 08-03-2012 02:25 AM

Quote:

so you know what mustangs have a t5 trans that will fit in my 96 gt 4.6 because i dont know what i need to look for mainly because i know my car came stock with a t45 and has a t5 in it now and its not what came stock and i also found out that the fly wheel has been replaced with a light weight one im going to find out about that a little more tomorrow though

No knowledge on that one. As to look for id say just look for t5 parts and you shouldn't have a problem. Light weight fly wheel, that's awesome.

Kotty4643 08-03-2012 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butch (Post 1251887)
Ahhh hell my brain knowledge has failed me yet again, my bad bro totally thought you were talking about a clutch fork, :dumbass:. I've never messed with a shift fork, never even heard of it till now, think my tired self needs to go to bed. Again my bad bro, hope I didnt send you in the wrong direction.

its all good i figured it was internal issues and do you knwo what mustangs come with a 5 speed t5 that will go into my gt?? because i do not want to put a t45 back in it do know what the diffrence between a t45 and a t5 is but i figured there is a reason theny didnt put a t45 back in it when they took the trimic tko out of it

Butch 08-03-2012 02:27 AM

Quote:

its all good i figured it was internal issues and do you knwo what mustangs come with a 5 speed t5 that will go into my gt?? because i do not want to put a t45 back in it do know what the diffrence between a t45 and a t5 is but i figured there is a reason theny didnt put a t45 back in it when they took the trimic tko out of it

Not a clue bro

08:18 PM