Mustang Evolution

Mustang Evolution (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/)
-   2011-2014 V6 Mustang (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f356/)
-   -   She rolled away! (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f356/t319396/)

WarMachine 12-28-2012 03:30 PM

Set your damn e brake! I somehow forgot, got out of my car and it started to role. I tried to jump in it but she spit me out and came to rest on a wooden post 20 yards away. She came very close to ruining my day forever - luckily only the open door scraped over me as it rolled over.

Lessons learned:
1. Set your brake
2. Don't try to jump in a moving vehicle
3. Don't get run over by your own car! I'm sore all over!

My wife got mad because one of the first things I said was "I can replace the defuser with a new gt500 one!" Turning lemons into lemonade I guess. All is well!

roushcoyotepony 12-28-2012 03:45 PM

Oh wow I'm so glad you're okay!! And +1 on the GT500 diffuser, repairs are way better if they're treated as modifications instead!

Charlie_santos 12-28-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarMachine (Post 1436932)
Set your damn e brake! I somehow forgot, got out my car and it started to role. I tried to jump in it but she spit me out and came to rest on a wooden post 20 yards away. She came very close to ruining my day forever - luckily only the open door scraped over me as it rolled over.

Lessons learned:
1. Set your brake
2. Don't try to jump in a moving vehicle
3. Don't get run over by your own car! I'm sore all over!

My wife got made because one of the first things I said was "I can replace the defuser with a new gt500 one!" Turning lemons into lemonade I guess. All is well!

Lmao!! I hopped into my car successfully when she tried rolling away to the neighbors living room window! Hahaha I went head first and just grabbed the ebrake as fast as I could. The door slammed into my legs but it's better then her making my neighbors living room a drive through window hahaha

Hmiller 12-28-2012 03:57 PM

Omg... Sounds like you had a ruff day :(

cheelyb09 12-28-2012 04:09 PM

Sorry that happened but glad your okay.

Venomouz831 12-28-2012 04:13 PM

Dang man at least you're ok

Whitelightning 12-28-2012 04:56 PM

I put in 1st or R depending on the hill so that'll lock and use the e-brake. It's the fun and downside of a manual. Glad you're ok and you didn't hit that pole too hard.

Depack21 12-28-2012 04:57 PM

Was there any damage?

UltArc 12-28-2012 06:58 PM

I don't know what an e brake is, but I always set me parking brake :).

And of course, in gear for the opposite angle of the hill.

DerekJohnScott 12-28-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltArc (Post 1437236)
I don't know what an e brake is, but I always set me parking brake :).

And of course, in gear for the opposite angle of the hill.

E brake is the same as a parking brake, e brake is short for emergency brake.

99ford 12-28-2012 08:11 PM

Oh dang! I had a similar accident myself last month.

I did the same thing ran after her she didn't spit me out though. I was just a few seconds late and a few feet short of stoping her.

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

But on a side note I got a Cobra R Hood ;)

UltArc 12-28-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerekJohnScott

E brake is the same as a parking brake, e brake is short for emergency brake.

I was joking, because it is a parking brake and people call it an e brake.

CYCLON37 12-28-2012 08:42 PM

Glad nothing major happened. I'm sure it won't happen again!

maldog 12-28-2012 08:43 PM

I'd send in a claim to your insurance company for the car running you over....lol

theACE 12-28-2012 09:56 PM

lol try doing this with a 45 locomotive....I stopped it though. :)

Glad you made it out of that situation, I had to save my neighbor who did the same thing as you...but drunk.

rebeltx 12-28-2012 10:14 PM

Setting the parking break is something that should become habit. Im not trying to give anyone a hard time here but a two simple things will give you allot better chance at avoiding this situation...

1: Always use your parking break, even on flat surfaces. It's just a good habit to form.
2: always turn your wheels so they are pointing in such a way that the car would roll into a curb or at least into your yard or at worse house.... better your house than the neighbors.
3: (for manuals) put that sucker in gear.


If you live on a steep driveway like I used to, park that sucker sideways.... looks funny yes but at least I knew my car would stay where I parked it lol

Whitelightning 12-28-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltArc (Post 1437461)

I was joking, because it is a parking brake and people call it an e brake.

And in a real emergent doesn't stop the car like popular belief.

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebeltx (Post 1437700)
Setting the parking break is something that should become habit. Im not trying to give anyone a hard time here but a two simple things will give you allot better chance at avoiding this situation...

1: Always use your parking break, even on flat surfaces. It's just a good habit to form.
2: always turn your wheels so they are pointing in such a way that the car would roll into a curb or at least into your yard or at worse house.... better your house than the neighbors.
3: (for manuals) put that sucker in gear.

If you live on a steep driveway like I used to, park that sucker sideways.... looks funny yes but at least I knew my car would stay where I parked it lol

I'm in an auto and still use my parking break. Just a habit since I hate that rolling tht the autos do in park.

Sanguin 12-28-2012 10:37 PM

I've never used the parking brake in my autos, of course they have all had the floor pedals to press and not the console style.

In my Mustang? ALWAYS. I have a manual though and it's habit now. I actually leave my car in neutral all the time. I figure it's a good habit to learn if I want a remote start some day.

rebeltx 12-28-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanguin (Post 1437725)
I've never used the parking brake in my autos, of course they have all had the floor pedals to press and not the console style.

In my Mustang? ALWAYS. I have a manual though and it's habit now. I actually leave my car in neutral all the time. I figure it's a good habit to learn if I want a remote start some day.

I just PM'd you with an off topic question.... didnt want to thread jack.... back to the show. :popcorn:

primer2tone 12-28-2012 11:06 PM

Another good tip for you auto and manual guys n gals.

The parking brake should be the first thing you apply when you park and the last thing you release before you drive away.
Always set the parking brake before to take your foot off the brake pedal. Then place the car in park or 1st. This prevents strain on the gear especially if you're parking on a slope or incline. This eliminates that clunk when shifting out of park when parked on a slope.
Remember, your transmission is not a kickstand.

Whitelightning 12-29-2012 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by primer2tone (Post 1437748)
Another good tip for you auto and manual guys n gals.

The parking brake should be the first thing you apply when you park and the last thing you release before you drive away.
Always set the parking brake before to take your foot off the brake pedal. Then place the car in park or 1st. This prevents strain on the gear especially if you're parking on a slope or incline. This eliminates that clunk when shifting out of park when parked on a slope.
Remember, your transmission is not a kickstand.

I had to tell my focus Buddy this. Some feel that pop in an auto and that's due to the strain. It takes the strain off the parking gear. +1

UltArc 12-29-2012 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by primer2tone
Another good tip for you auto and manual guys n gals.

The parking brake should be the first thing you apply when you park and the last thing you release before you drive away.
Always set the parking brake before to take your foot off the brake pedal. Then place the car in park or 1st. This prevents strain on the gear especially if you're parking on a slope or incline. This eliminates that clunk when shifting out of park when parked on a slope.
Remember, your transmission is not a kickstand.

To preserve parking brake, I was taught to put it in gear, ease off the brake until it settles, then apply parking brake. But I learned that from the family, not from a Someone who builds pr engineers cars or anything.

Midnight2012 12-29-2012 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltArc (Post 1437461)

I was joking, because it is a parking brake and people call it an e brake.

Technically it 's an emergency brake. Working your rear brakes with a cable in case uour brake fluid runs out. Notice theres one on an automatic too which has a Park position. I always set mine when parking wether its an auto or manual. And you yank on that thing hard enough it will lock up your breaks and stop your car in an emergency. At the very least it will slow you down. It manually applies your rear breaks. Whoa now that I said all that how does that work on disc breaks? Hmm

UltArc 12-29-2012 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnight2012

Technically it 's an emergency brake. Working your rear brakes with a cable in case uour brake fluid runs out. Notice theres one on an automatic too which has a Park position. I always set mine when parking wether its an auto or manual. And you yank on that thing hard enough it will lock up your breaks and stop your car in an emergency. At the very least it will slow you down. It manually applies your rear breaks. Whoa now that I said all that how does that work on disc breaks? Hmm

Well, TECHNICALLY, it's neither. It is a mechanical brake, if you want to be technical, then no, its not.

And if your brakes go, please do not yank on it. If you drive an auto or standard, and your brakes go, yanking it will most definitely snap your cable. The safest way to slow down is to downshift, and then ease the mechanical brake up, auto or standard.

I have always known it as a parking brake as where I come from, the only people who refer to it as an emergency brake are the tokyo drifter wanna bes in their little hondas and toyotas-if you want your rear end to slide around, don't buy a vitz or a fit. In my life, the only legitimate use the mechanical brake has ever had was to add security in parking. I have never used it to slow down or emergency brake, and no one in my family has. And our last few Lincolns, it is not even an option as a lever, it is a flip switch for on and off-but then, rarely, in emergencies it may be used to brake after downshifting, compared to a more common use of actually parking the car.

Before people decide to read every other word and freak out about downshifting, I will Make sure I am extra clear. If your brakes do not work, and your car will not slow down, downshifting is safer than hitting a car, pole, person, house-potential transmission damage is better than potentially taking a life, or driving into a house, in my opinion. As I was taught in AST and driving school. (I am not AST certified, just have some experience with an AST program.)

tc x 4 12-29-2012 04:00 AM

Guess you've never had a vindictive exwife cut your brake line.

UltArc 12-29-2012 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tc x 4
Guess you've never had a vindictive exwife cut your brake line.

Nope, that doesn't sound fun...

SoScary 12-29-2012 04:33 AM

In the UK we call it a Hand Brake!

UltArc 12-29-2012 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoScary
In the UK we call it a Hand Brake!

That seems more correct than park brake or emergency brake lol

Unless! It is on the floor. In our F series, the mechanical brake is on the left and foot powered. Still mechanical, but no hands unless one is disengaging.

Charlie_santos 12-29-2012 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoScary (Post 1438125)
In the UK we call it a Hand Brake!

In my life I call it the oh **** brake!!!

wheelman 12-29-2012 06:21 AM

Theyre all just names that become the norm in your area. I grew up with ebrake, but I know what someone means when they say parking or hand brake. Thats like saying "grinder" is the wrong name for a " sub". Its just different. Stupid to say its wrong to use one or the other.

WarMachine 12-29-2012 06:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by wheelman (Post 1438148)
Theyre all just names that become the norm in your area. I grew up with ebrake, but I know what someone means when they say parking or hand brake. Thats like saying "grinder" is the wrong name for a " sub". Its just different. Stupid to say its wrong to use one or the other.

Thanks everyone. I agree with wheelman that "e brake" is a regional thing - nobody is wrong.

I'm replacing my defuser with this one from AM

And just to cover all my bases - pull the damn E/parking/mechanical/hand brake when you park! ;)

ronnie948 12-29-2012 07:12 AM

I hate to show my age ***BUT***
 
The name "Emergency Brake was used in the good old days when the brakes only had a single reservoir master cylinder.When that malfunctioned or you had a line failure you still had the "Emergency" brake to depend on. Then some genius decided to use a two reservoir Master Cylinder which if one side leaked all the fluid the other side would stop you. One side worked the left front & right rear and the other side did the opposite. That prevented the rear end coming around on you.
Then the emergency brake name changed to "Parking" brake. Most Grand pop's and Grand mom's still call it the "Emergency" brake and passed that on to their children and the parents passed that on and so & so.

In your Manual on page 213 Ford calls it the"Parking" brake so that is the true name to call it. All cars now have the two reservoir Master cylinders so the "emergency" brake became the "Parking" brake.

I'm to old to change now so I'm still calling it the "Emergency" brake.:lmao:

Ronnie

wheelman 12-29-2012 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarMachine (Post 1438159)
And just to cover all my bases - pull the damn E/parking/mechanical/hand brake when you park! ;)

Lol, I did that once right out in front of my dealership, surrounded by new cars, but I caught her! I always double check now when I step out. In gear? Check. eBrake on? Check. I should do the turn-the-wheel thing more often, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by primer2tone (Post 1437748)
Another good tip for you auto and manual guys n gals.

The parking brake should be the first thing you apply when you park and the last thing you release before you drive away.
Always set the parking brake before to take your foot off the brake pedal. Then place the car in park or 1st. This prevents strain on the gear especially if you're parking on a slope or incline. This eliminates that clunk when shifting out of park when parked on a slope.
Remember, your transmission is not a kickstand.

Wise words here BTW

avengnd 12-29-2012 07:43 AM

Glad to hear you are alright...and thinking of the Pony first is always good. LOL

sandawilliams 12-29-2012 08:35 AM

The only time not to set your emergency brake
 
Is when you live in a very cold climate-(Colorado for me) and you have been driving on snow/slushy roads. Setting the brake when parked will likely freeze the cable/brake system and you wont go anywhere until it thaws out. Better to park in gear (manual) on something close to level ground.


07:03 PM

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.