Mustang Evolution

Mustang Evolution (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/)
-   Pre-2005 V6 Mustang (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f133/)
-   -   exhaust options.... help!! (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f133/t32002/)

sledgehammer 05-28-2008 06:03 PM

exhaust options.... help!!

First, do LT headers actually lower ground clearance? and will the face straight back at bottom of car?

Second, I am building a custom exhaust from headers back. Where can I find 2.25 mandrel bends and cats online for cheap? no local carriers here

Third, what is gained from H-ing or X-ing the exaust? i am thinking of indepent all the way out.

and it will be S/C ed

lowflyn 05-28-2008 07:28 PM

Re: exhaust options.... help!!

LT headers will lower your ground clearance. Expect to rub them alot.

And yes, they will face pretty much straight back.

I dunno about finding the mandrel bends...

It really doesn't matter, the H will give you a little deeper sound, the true dual will sound good. The x-pipe will sound raspy.

sledgehammer 05-28-2008 08:40 PM

exactly what i needed to know!! thanks

now what are yalls (ya'lls) opinion on seperate true dual no x or h ?

Kyle 05-28-2008 08:44 PM

i have stock headers, o/r x, and flows........i like the way it sounds. very deep idle, it surprised me when i first heard it, then it sounds like a v6 when you step on it. it still retains it dept in tone (for the most part) except from about 1800-2300 rpms, i dont care for the sound produced there.

other than that, i like it overall :good:

05RedDevil 05-28-2008 08:45 PM

Why the custom built exhaust when there are good parts out there that will likely have better flow, be lighter weight and known to fit? Not questioning your ability, simply saying that it doesn't seem like it is worth the effort.

sledgehammer 05-28-2008 08:50 PM

well i am trying this new "thing" on my exhaust and I cannot say yet till i know what "it" does but it requires a custom exhaust. plus itll be a fun and unique project. i just wanted to get down the basics again and understand the exhaust from experts.

05RedDevil 05-28-2008 08:55 PM

I can only hope this "thing" is a turbo.
One thing that has not been said yet is the difference in the midpipe crossover, besides tone, is that the X will continue to have (near) perfectly even flow through the entire rpm range. The H does not get as good crossflow at higher rpm's (about 3500+) because of the 90 degree crossover

SimplyOrange 05-28-2008 08:56 PM

if you want, i can get you a price on madrel bends, let me know exactly what bends you need. use a x or h-pipe or its gonna sound poppy, h-pipe gives better sound just by equilizing the flow. while the x pipe is gonna scavenge exhaust better and flow alot better.

i also reccomend going with longtubes,a gt catback and a conversion x pipe. just because it will minimize the number of weld which crates restriction.

PureVenom 05-28-2008 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle (Post 455348)
i have stock headers, o/r x, and flows........

You have flows? You mean they have found their way out of the trunk? Or do you mean the sound of them banging around as you stop/go/and turn? :lmao:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle (Post 455348)
except from about 1800-2300 rpms, i dont care for the sound produced there.

That's cause they are chokemasters.

Kyle 05-28-2008 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PureVenom (Post 455357)
You have flows? You mean they have found their way out of the trunk? Or do you mean the sound of them banging around as you stop/go/and turn? :lmao:

That's cause they are chokemasters.

:yup: i can stop, go, and make turns now without hearing any clunks, clanks, or rattles.

PureVenom 05-28-2008 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle (Post 455359)
:yup: i can stop, go, and make turns now without hearing any clunks, clanks, or rattles.

Nice, now if only you could turn on your fog lights...you'd be untouchable. :D

Kyle 05-28-2008 09:08 PM

the new front will have fogs on it.........so i am gonna hold off b/c i dont know if i need gt or cobra fogs :D

sledgehammer 05-28-2008 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SimplyOrangeTPS (Post 455355)
use a x or h-pipe or its gonna sound poppy,

what do you mean when you say "poppy"?

PureVenom 05-28-2008 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sledgehammer (Post 455362)
what do you mean when you say "poppy"?

Like balloons popping when you are cruising/slowing down.

vrrrrrrrrrrrm....pop.pop pop pop pop.....

No cool gurgle...just pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop

Kyle had a true dual with no cross over a while back and it sounded bad....not to mention it doesn't let you equalize the pressure between the two sides...so it doesn't scavenge as well as it should. You need some sort of cross over to make it right.

sledgehammer 05-28-2008 09:37 PM

what is scavenge?

Kyle 05-28-2008 09:42 PM

from scavenge - definition of scavenge by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

scav·enge (skvnj)
v. scav·enged, scav·eng·ing, scav·eng·es
v.tr.
1. To search through for salvageable material: scavenged the garbage cans for food scraps.
2. To collect and remove refuse from: The streets are periodically scavenged.
3. To collect (salvageable material) by searching.
a. To expel (exhaust gases) from a cylinder of an internal-combustion engine.
b. To expel exhaust gases from (such a cylinder).
5. Metallurgy To clean (molten metal) by chemically removing impurities.
v.intr.
1. To search through refuse for useful material.
2. To feed on dead or decaying matter.

PureVenom 05-28-2008 09:44 PM

My understanding of it is *deep breath*...it brings the exhaust together to increase flow velocity instead of just having the exhaust being all turbulent and flowing all over bouncing around inside the pipes....smooth flow is faster flow which creates less back pressure which lets the motor breath better and get the exhaust out of the motor faster so the air come in faster and more fresh air comes in because more exhaust can get in the duration of the stroke and more air means more power.

So yeah, basically, it makes the exhaust flow more smoothly so the motor can breathe better and make more power. It increases the efficiency of the motor.

sledgehammer 05-28-2008 09:47 PM

how big does the cross pipe for the H have to be?

PureVenom 05-28-2008 09:49 PM

THe same size as your flow tubes as far as width goes and just long enough to not be an X pipe. There really is no set length it has to be to be considered an H....just enough of a crossover tube so you can say it isn't an X pipe.

sledgehammer 05-28-2008 09:56 PM

id like to keep low end torque..... so i was going to go for 2.25. woukld you agree

Kyle 05-28-2008 09:58 PM

i have 2.5 and didnt notice any loss

PureVenom 05-29-2008 12:57 AM

But 2.25 will sound much better on the 6 instead of the 2.5 which sounds empty and hollow at times due to lack of air movement.

SimplyOrange 05-29-2008 06:46 AM

scavenging with an x pipe actually creates a vaccume on the headers because it uses the exhuast flow from one side to push the exhaust crossing it out of the back, since all of the air is in a way"connected, it results in better flow than an h pipe which puts a little backpressure on the header.depending on your application, you may want the backpressure because it retains low end torque on a natrally aspirated engine especially a v-6.on boost applictaions, the x pipe is the way to go.

as far as the crossover tube, they can be different sizes to change the tone, the bigger the crossover pipe, the deeper the tone which is why a mac prochamber is so deep sounding, mmff did a write up on this about 1 1/2-2 years ago try searching for it.6" on the length of the crossover is a happy medium.

rob is right, stick with a smaller size(2.25) into the mufflers, and run 2.5 tips so it doesent magnify the lack of cubic inch.also runing a 2" crossover pipe will help it keep the backpressure and sound like it has more cubic inch.

we stock a muffler that sounds just like a gt when ran through 2.25 pipes and a h-pipe, kyle has heard it through an x-pipe and 2.5" piping and i think he liked it.they are the same ones im running on my cobra motor, kyle is gonna cream when he hears it today.

poppy: dabababadadada-pow-pow-dadabadabadaba

sledgehammer 05-29-2008 08:54 PM

DAMN.. my experiment requires seperate dual... I am gonna have to skull on this one for a while.

VCS_SSSTANG 05-31-2008 01:36 PM

You don't need a Mid pipe at all...

And flow original 40s = best sounding muffler on a V6.

01:04 AM