Mustang Evolution

Mustang Evolution (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/)
-   The Bar (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f99/)
-   -   Interesting Article on Saving Gas (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f99/t32043/)

meteorachick 06-01-2008 12:28 PM

Interesting Article on Saving Gas

I found this today on msnbc and it also busted a few myths that I keep hearing around work (such as the ac vs. windows down myth)

Fuel Economy: Save Money on Gas - MSN Autos

05RedDevil 06-01-2008 12:41 PM

Re: Interesting Article on Saving Gas

So driving at efficiency speed gets max efficiency? I had no idea auto makers designed engines to peak at the legal speed limit! :rolleyes: It is sad that they have to put out common knowledge articles. I seriously hope people don't need to read things like this but, then again, the article also mentioned you could look in your owner's manual to find out how to check tire pressure. . . .

MonteCitan 06-01-2008 01:20 PM

"Most cars are designed to run just fine on regular gasoline. Even many cars for which premium is recommended will run well on regular."

After reading this, people with boosted cars, cobras, l67s, etc... are going to start blowing up their motors... 'but CNN said we could run regular!!!'

lowflyn 06-01-2008 01:22 PM

Running the a/c might not make a difference on a camry but it sure as hell does on a v6 mustang. Noticable difference with a/c vs windows down.

But..on the topic at hand, have you noticed how more and more people are driving the speed limit or under on the interstates? It's crazy. 6 months ago going 75 down the interstate would get you run over. Now, I run 75 and I'm constantly passing people.

Even the major trucking companies have lowered the top speed on their trucks to under 70 to conserve fuel. Now if we can just get the police to do the same...

Thomas91169 06-01-2008 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowflyn (Post 455779)
But..on the topic at hand, have you noticed how more and more people are driving the speed limit or under on the interstates? It's crazy. 6 months ago going 75 down the interstate would get you run over. Now, I run 75 and I'm constantly passing people.

my big issue is those that crawl up to freeway speeds. i absolutely hate when they drive 15 on the onramp and once they hit the end they then start to crawl up to speed, making everyone check up behind them, which isnt very safe to other motorists who all of a sudden have to slam brakes because some ****ing yuppie wants to save fuel getting on the freeway.

if i had fabrication skills, id build a set of bumper guards for the stang so i can move these people up to freeway speeds whether they like it or not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowflyn (Post 455779)
Even the major trucking companies have lowered the top speed on their trucks to under 70 to conserve fuel. Now if we can just get the police to do the same...

now thats just crazy talk, the cops abiding by the same laws they enforce? not in this world. What would be the point of wanting to be a cop then? i mean honestly, who wants to serve and protect anymore?

wiarumas 06-01-2008 04:19 PM

i used to drive cars pretty rough before. after the price of gas doubled and a speeding ticket, i started to drive more conservatively. now, i still accelerate to the highway speed on onramps and drive 5mph over the speed limit, but i try to take it easy on lights, stop signs, etc. it saved tremendous amounts of gas... i was getting about 15mpg and it went to about 20mpg. now, since i recently got a mazda3 for commuting, my driving habits are causing me to get amazing gas mileage. i already put close to 100 miles on it and it still hasnt left the F on the guage.

meteorachick 06-01-2008 04:22 PM

meh i thought it was a good article

cblank77 06-01-2008 09:02 PM

I know first hand about the trucks being governed to below 70mph being as i work for a Kenworth Dealership as a mechanic. I am constantly having to turn trucks down because companies want to save fuel. And it does save but the truck drivers hate it as bad as the people behind to governed trucks trying to pass each other going down the interstate.

I also know that driving slower and being more of a relaxed driver rather then constantly gunning the engine saves butt loads of gas too. I drive about 50 miles each way to and from work everyday and trust me, a couple miles per gallon really adds up quick at those distances.

cblank77,
Chris Blankenship

rwboring 06-02-2008 09:23 AM

the windows comment i really find hard to believe... i mean do some wind tunnels test and find out... it will have a large impact on drag...

to me thats like saying that low tire pressure changed it 1.3mpg... if they just drove around how did the accelerate. there isnt much proof there other then we got X from Y... so do/ dont do Y

ChrissyStang02 06-03-2008 05:32 AM

good stuff. i thought it was pretty interesting.

SimplyOrange 06-03-2008 11:28 AM

didnt realize tire pressure affected the performance of the car, i needa put more than 15 psi in my mickeys next track run.

rwboring 06-03-2008 12:35 PM

haha.... don't over inflate!!!

SrATEX 06-04-2008 07:45 PM

i have found myself driving much slower and being a lot easier on the gas pedal over the past few months. Year ago I would run 70 down all the county roads...now 45-50. still do 80ish on the interstate though.

SpectorV 06-05-2008 09:02 AM

some trucking companies make their drivers go 65 or less to hit the sweet spot for mileage~

lowflyn 06-05-2008 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwboring (Post 455949)
the windows comment i really find hard to believe... i mean do some wind tunnels test and find out... it will have a large impact on drag...

to me thats like saying that low tire pressure changed it 1.3mpg... if they just drove around how did the accelerate. there isnt much proof there other then we got X from Y... so do/ dont do Y

It's not as much as you think, especially with a big motor. A/C isn't gonna pull that much power.

I haven't noticed a difference top up or down in my car however...get about the same all the time.

08:27 AM