Mustang Evolution

Mustang Evolution (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/)
-   1996-2004 Mustang GT (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f280/)
-   -   Axleback mufflers? (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f280/t327563/)

Tanker2012 02-24-2013 12:43 PM

Axleback mufflers?

When I purchased my '97 GT it had BBK x-pipe mids without cats, no mufflers, and everything else was stock. I am planning on making the thing breath better overall by adding PI heads, stage 1 cams, new manifold, new plenum and throttle body as well as a new CAI and mass air. Most likely adding some short BBK headers as well. The car sounds great and is quick but with all of these upgrades I'm concerned about back pressure. I will get this thing dynotuned and handheld tuned as I go but I want to make sure I am getting enough back pressure in the heads. What do you guys think, do I need high flow mufflers and tips for maximum hp?

Mile high JDF 02-24-2013 01:37 PM

I'm the goal of an exhaust is to get those exhaust gasses out and away from the engine as quickly as possible. Back pressure hinders your motor because it causes the engine to work harder at forcing those exhaust gasses out. The trick is to gain exhaust velocity.

Tanker2012 02-24-2013 01:43 PM

I guess what I am asking is that if anyone has had experience without cat/axle back exhaust components being installed. I agree, it's not so much a question of back pressure as it is between volume and velocity of exhaust evacuation. Without high flow mufflers and tips will the x-pipes provide enough velocity due to their diameter. Thanks for the feedback.

Mile high JDF 02-24-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tanker2012 (Post 1539212)
I guess what I am asking is that if anyone has had experience without cat/axle back exhaust components being installed. I agree, it's not so much a question of back pressure as it is between volume and velocity of exhaust evacuation. Without high flow mufflers and tips will the x-pipes provide enough velocity due to their diameter. Thanks for the feedback.

Is your catback the stock 2 1/4" piping?

Tanker2012 02-24-2013 02:18 PM

The x-pipe does not have cats (it's off road). There's stock manifold and then the BBK x-pipes; that's the only exhaust plumbing on the car.

Mile high JDF 02-24-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tanker2012 (Post 1539250)
The x-pipe does not have cats (it's off road). There's stock manifold and then the BBK x-pipes; that's the only exhaust plumbing on the car.

A catback exhaust is what comes after the midpipe an goes over the axles. If it's still stock other than removing the mufflers then I would recommend upgrading to some 2.5" pipes because that's what size your BBK X-pipe is. I don't know how much exhaust flow you will pick up with it, but it should help a little bit.

Tanker2012 02-24-2013 02:37 PM

So, are you recommending I add an aftermarket catback setup that's 2.5", same as the BBK mid pipes? I could just take straight 2.5" pipe back over the axle and add tips. It's pretty raspy right now, which is fine, but I was concerned that stopping the exhaust plumbing at the x-pipes might not help with power. Thanks, again for your feedback.

Mile high JDF 02-24-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tanker2012 (Post 1539274)
So, are you recommending I add an aftermarket catback setup that's 2.5", same as the BBK mid pipes? I could just take straight 2.5" pipe back over the axle and add tips. It's pretty raspy right now, which is fine, but I was concerned that stopping the exhaust plumbing at the x-pipes might not help with power. Thanks, again for your feedback.

Yes that should work.

Tanker2012 02-24-2013 02:50 PM

Cool, I think I am going to just bring the 2.5" tubing back over the axle and dump it under the bumpers. To be honest, I like the hidden exhaust. Thanks.

Mile high JDF 02-24-2013 02:51 PM

That will be pretty sweet

Tanker2012 02-24-2013 02:53 PM

It sounds great and it looks clean, I think that adding the tubing will help especially with the in-flow upgrades to get the engine to breath better. These mod 8s are different. First OHC engine I've owned and worked on.

Thanks again.

Mile high JDF 02-24-2013 02:54 PM

Yeah no problem man, good luck

11:29 AM