Mustang Evolution

Mustang Evolution (
-   Pre-2005 V6 Mustang (
-   -   replacing stock head unit with mach system (

Mag0802 03-21-2013 09:40 AM

replacing stock head unit with mach system
So I'm new to all of this. Got a 2002 Base convertible from my uncle (only 56k miles!) a couple of months ago, and I'm loving it. Everything (except the gas mileage) is better than my 99 protege.

And the radio.

I want a freaking AUX input! 6 CD changer? What is this, 1998?

The FM transmitter I have is crappy.

I put this (Kenwood - KDC-MP235) in my protege years ago, and it works great. The EQ made everything sound better. I pulled it out before I sold my protege.

So my question is - can I replace the just Mach 460 Double DIN head unit with the Kenwood? I don't intend on replacing the speakers/amps/subs.

I know I'd need to get a Double DIN installation kit with the pocket/tray. And a new harness.

I've read that it's difficult to attach a aftermarket HU to the Mach speakers - is that true?

1slosix 03-21-2013 01:12 PM

yes you can replace the unit...

now one issue is that the design changed for the mach 460 for the amp harness...pull out your double din and snap a picture of both plug ins for the speakers and the amp so i can see the pin and casing...i have a spare harness for the earlier 460 units brand new i can't use so i'd probably let you have it for cheap if it'll work. just pm me if interested :good

1slosix 03-21-2013 01:15 PM

btw welcome to the site

Mag0802 03-21-2013 01:20 PM SCOSCHE 1995-Up Ford/Mercury/Lincoln/Mazda Double DIN and DIN with pocket: Car Electronics

Would that work as a DIN kit? Since it's a single and a pocket? Or is there a better quality one out there?

And thanks for the harness link - very much appreciated!

1slosix 03-21-2013 02:29 PM

yeah that'll work...btw though show me which harness you have on the car before you order from the link i gave. depending on which one you have that may or may not fit

05:30 PM