Mustang Evolution

Mustang Evolution (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/)
-   2011-2014 V6 Mustang (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f356/)
-   -   eh...hood pins? (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f356/t341580/)

Feedback 09-13-2013 08:07 PM

eh...hood pins?
 
So my Trufiber 3" cowl hood comes in hopefully monday. I overlooked the fact about how on their website they practically say hood pins are absolutely necessary for their fiberglass hoods. I'm really not sold on the look of hood pins for one, especially those goofy wires that hang out, and two; drilling into the hood? no thanks....But i've seen the practicality of them for those who drive at highway speeds but i rarely get past 60 as most of my driving is pretty much just based in the 'burbs. I don't hit the track yet or actually race (yet) so my question is basically this:

Are they really needed for fiberglass hoods even if i can easily install the factory latch from my OEM hood?

primer2tone 09-13-2013 08:20 PM

My old fiberglass hood would flex once I reached speeds of 90+ or if I was doing 60 going against 30mph winds. Lol this is the same with my current carbon fiber hood.

Lol, but incase you change your mind. Here's what I did. It was meticulous work but I knocked it out with minimal blood and tears.

http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru....php?p=1547100

Feedback 09-13-2013 08:57 PM

oh wow that's a really nice idea! Definitely like it better than the expensive stealth ones : Western Motorsports Stealth Hood Pins 2005-2009 Mustang.

I loved your write up! really well done and i'll be following this if i end up with those Aerocatch ones. Thanks for the awesome link

primer2tone 09-14-2013 05:20 AM

Thanks man. That's an interesting kit. I've never seen one like that before. It see like a lot if moving parts though. I wonder how reliable they would be over time?

Kona Mike 09-14-2013 07:00 AM

3 inch cowl on a car that rarely gets above 60. Ha!

Kpd3014 09-14-2013 07:32 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I have installed the aero catch hood pins on 3 cars and they are by far the best hood pin out there. I am in the same boat right now with my current car. I get flex in the cowl at about 80 but only on the side where the air comes in for the filter. To pin or not to pin?

primer2tone 09-14-2013 07:51 AM

You gotta do it.

silverskoundrel 09-14-2013 08:00 AM

I wasn't gonna do hood pins on my 05 until I started driving after I put it on & then decided hood pins where needed. I wish I had just gotten the flush mount ones but the ones I have are alright

Seabiscuit 09-14-2013 08:06 AM

I pinned my 05 from the beginning and never noticed any shaking. But I like the look. I was told the latch would hold but the hood would snap else where if I went with out them.

primer2tone 09-14-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverskoundrel (Post 1796495)
I wasn't gonna do hood pins on my 05 until I started driving after I put it on & then decided hood pins where needed. I wish I had just gotten the flush mount ones but the ones I have are alright

It's not too late. Where did you mount your pins, to your radiator brackets?

silverskoundrel 09-14-2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by primer2tone (Post 1796502)
It's not too late. Where did you mount your pins, to your radiator brackets?

my pins are the ones that replace the upper radiator mounts

Feedback 09-14-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kona Mike (Post 1796456)
3 inch cowl on a car that rarely gets above 60. Ha!

I know, I know. "Why have the look if you can't back it up?" Right? Truth be told: I don't care. Basically got the hood for free cuz of an accident I had and I like the look. Eventually I plan to hit the track but its not a priority. It'll happen though, and I'll get all the times!!

Quote:

I pinned my 05 from the beginning and never noticed any shaking. But I like the look. I was told the latch would hold but the hood would snap else where if I went with out them.
And that right there just sold me on the pins. I'll def get the flush mounts then. Can't say the $150 for the mws ones for my driving is really justifiable.

And I forgot what forum i saw it in but the guy who mentioned the MWS ones said his was on for quite a few years I guess and was still going strong. Awesome concept but dat price!

Thanks for the insight guys!

Seabiscuit 09-14-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feedback (Post 1796562)

I know, I know. "Why have the look if you can't back it up?" Right? Truth be told: I don't care. Basically got the hood for free cuz of an accident I had and I like the look. Eventually I plan to hit the track but its not a priority. It'll happen though, and I'll get all the times!!

And that right there just sold me on the pins. I'll def get the flush mounts then. Can't say the $150 for the mws ones for my driving is really justifiable.

And I forgot what forum i saw it in but the guy who mentioned the MWS ones said his was on for quite a few years I guess and was still going strong. Awesome concept but dat price!

Thanks for the insight guys!

You're welcome!

Kpd3014 09-14-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feedback (Post 1796562)

I know, I know. "Why have the look if you can't back it up?" Right? Truth be told: I don't care. Basically got the hood for free cuz of an accident I had and I like the look. Eventually I plan to hit the track but its not a priority. It'll happen though, and I'll get all the times!!

Thanks for the insight guys!

Hey I have the look and the power but still drive like I'm a grandma. When people give you smack just tell them like I do. " I drive slow so everybody can see who is in the bad *** car, how else are the ladies going to know who to call"

Eleanor_style 09-14-2013 06:31 PM

I'm in the same stick

Jut wondering though can anyone recommend a good hood pin set ? Experience also if I can buy any hood pin kit or do I have to get one specific for a mustang ?

NewMtang 09-14-2013 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feedback (Post 1796082)
So my Trufiber 3" cowl hood comes in hopefully monday. I overlooked the fact about how on their website they practically say hood pins are absolutely necessary for their fiberglass hoods. I'm really not sold on the look of hood pins for one, especially those goofy wires that hang out, and two; drilling into the hood? no thanks....But i've seen the practicality of them for those who drive at highway speeds but i rarely get past 60 as most of my driving is pretty much just based in the 'burbs. I don't hit the track yet or actually race (yet) so my question is basically this:

Are they really needed for fiberglass hoods even if i can easily install the factory latch from my OEM hood?

Looks like there about $60. Your question should be: How much will it cost if the hood comes open at 70 mph and breaks the hood, windshield and scratches the roof of your car? $60 doesn't really sound like a bad investment for a little peace of mind.

primer2tone 09-15-2013 08:32 AM

+1 That's a small price to pay for assurance.

Feedback 09-15-2013 09:02 AM

Very true, which is why I already agreed to getting the flush mount aero catch ones that primer2tone suggested and did a fantastic tutorial install of. Just gotta order them. Till then I'll just fit the hood then have the body shop install them before they paint

primer2tone 09-15-2013 09:22 AM

Excellent dude!

Here's the link to where I bought mine.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-US
There have been some upgrades to the kit and it looks like it'll be an easier install with the supplied washer ring.

Also, I saw this and thought I'd share.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-US
I guess it's for added strength, I don't think it's necessary but it looks cool.

They also sell these pins with a locking mechanism. I don't think it's necessary either and I imagine weather would over time effect the lock making it difficult to operate.

One more thing, I would lubricate the hinge about every time I changed my oil. To keep it sliding flawlessly. I'm looking forward to seeing your results.


09:25 PM

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.