Mustang Evolution Forum banner

96-98 PI vs 99-04

3K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  Soccerluvr4 
#1 ·
Stupid question cuz I think I know the answer.

Will a 96-98 GT with PI swapped heads and intake beat a 99-04 gt?

Also does anyone have a link to a PI swap write up?

Thanks!

#3 ·
Wrong.....96-98 with pi heads swap will push out a tid bit more than a 99-04 due to the raise in compression roughly 10.54:1 so instead of 260 more like 272hp or 275hp to the flywheel. Add intake and well if the 96-98 is a crappy driver then he/she should have a half car atleast on the track considering if the 99-04 is stock

#5 ·
Tranny? Auto manual?

#9 ·
Exactly

#11 ·
Well you could start now with a junkyard build. Or build a fresh one.

#12 ·
I was thinkin that route because I just want it to last till I get the money for my mach 1
I found an 03 motor with just under 80k for 800 bucks
I don't know if that's a good price haha but I can get a reman motor from work but that'll be expensive and idk if I get my discount

#13 ·
Well the 96-98 raise compression cause when u swap the heads to 99-04 heads the deck height i believe if i remember gets smaller. For your 03 you already have pi heads and intake. The way to raise your compression is pistons or go back and use a 96-98 block with your current heads. Your years is when ford decided the stang needed a little pep to its step

#14 ·
Ohh ok makes sense, maybe ill buy a 96-98 motor and get the PI kit and put it together at work with some buddies, It'll be easier to do here than at home since ill have every ford tool I'd need lol
The PI heads from AM are pretty cheap, I'm surprised how much they are. Ill look into getting heads from work also and maybe reman heads would be cheaper

#16 ·
Twotone you already have pi heads. Hes right a bullit intake would do the same hp as a 96 with pi swap. If you wanna gain some power i would port and polish heads change valve springs and retainers to atleast run stage 2 cams. The heads on am im sure are the exact same as yours with maybe a little porting to make it flow well. You could do bolt ons with gears as well as tuner. But heed a warning while yes my year makes more power cause of a compression raise it doesnt help when you wanna push more boost on higher compression. Things tend to go bump in the night then. Your motor is set nicely to just add bolt ons with a power adder i.e. turbo or supercharger and tou will do fine. With mine and a pi swap im gonna eventually have to lower my compression to push as much boost as you could

#19 ·
I know I have the pi heads and the pink injectors and Blahblah but appreciate the info ? haha I was thinking about buying the new pi ones to add to the older block, but a power adder is not in mind right now. I'd like a nice peppy DD, I just never knew that the deck height was reduced when doing the pi swap. As for the stage two cams, I'd love it but gotta keep it Cali legal now. Moved to far from our buddy to get it "smogged" haha there's so many options to go with when it comes to building a motor, and I just learned more about the PI swap for the 96-98 so it got me thinking haha

---------- Post added at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

You can always port the stock intake ;)
very true haha but I'm afraid to do much to my current engine because if it blows before I got the cash to rebuild/buy another I'm screwed haha

#21 ·
I want your pink injectors lol. Yes soccers right a stage one is perfectly fine research it you will see cali legal cams.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.