Mustang Evolution

Mustang Evolution (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/)
-   General Mustang Discussion (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f312/)
-   -   Opinions and experience on extended warranties (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f312/t344376/)

Spiney 11-09-2013 08:05 PM

Opinions and experience on extended warranties

My wife and I bought a low mileage 2012 Fusion SEL NAV as her DD yesterday. We bought it at CarSense a large retailer of low mileage clean, newer used cars. They tried to sell us a 3rd party extended warranty for $1950. We had no interest because I read there is a huge markup on these items from used car dealers. The car has 3 years or 43K of the Ford Warranty left. If we do all of the maintenance on or before it's due and only use Castrol Oil we get a lifetime engine warranty.

This car is full of electronics to go bad, so a warranty may be a good idea IF they actually pay out. I read your best best is the manufacturers extended warranty over a 3rd party.

So what's been your experience? Thanks, Dave

lowflyn 11-09-2013 08:45 PM

Never seen an extended warranty worth the money. They keep ppl on staff to find ways to deny claims.

If it's the 4 cyl I wouldn't worry about it. Those things run forever.

ZLwhat 11-10-2013 02:08 AM

I bought a 7yr 100k for my 5.0. Since I got my 5.0 i have had to have the entire advancetrac and abs system replaced due to a issue causing me to have no traction control that cost well over 4k to resolve that was covered under factory warranty. Then I had a issue with the car shutting off randomly while I was driving which took a ford engineer to diagnose. Turned out to be faulty fuel pump wiring that caused my ignition switch fuses to blow. After replacing the fuel pump and entire sending unit, all wiring, a gas tank strap they broke, ignition switch and a bunch of fuses I had another easy 4,000 dollar bill which again was completely covered by ford. My car has until August of next year before the warranty runs out or another 8k miles. I only put about 40miles on the car a week though. With issues like I have had, I'm glad to know I'll be covered LONG after my factory warranty has expired and the only expense I will pay out of pocket is $50.

BlackPonyIHave 11-10-2013 04:42 AM

Keep your money. It's a rip off. Imo

bigmac3 11-10-2013 08:21 AM

Have you checked with a Ford dealer to see if you can buy the Ford extended warranty since your car is still under the original factory warranty. I think that may be possible.

scottydsntknow 11-10-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmac3 (Post 1853181)
Have you checked with a Ford dealer to see if you can buy the Ford extended warranty since your car is still under the original factory warranty. I think that may be possible.

You usually can. And yes, ONLY go with 1st party warranties. 3rd party warranties are snake oil, have fun ever getting them to pay out and if they do be prepared to have all sorts of hoops to jump through and even possibly having to pay for all the repair work yourself and go through a lengthly process of getting reimbursed.

And if he still has 3 years left on the factory warranty not sure why he'd want to worry about more than that. At least right now.

BlackPonyIHave 11-12-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottydsntknow (Post 1853977)
You usually can. And yes, ONLY go with 1st party warranties. 3rd party warranties are snake oil, have fun ever getting them to pay out and if they do be prepared to have all sorts of hoops to jump through and even possibly having to pay for all the repair work yourself and go through a lengthly process of getting reimbursed. And if he still has 3 years left on the factory warranty not sure why he'd want to worry about more than that. At least right now.

2 months Ago I bought my 07 gt and bought the rest of the factory warranty , since the car only had 9100 miles on it, it still had a long time left on the warranty left, so I bought it. So yes is the answer to the question if you can buy the factory warranty.....

Spiney 11-12-2013 03:53 PM

I spoke with my trusted independent mechanic about this. He said only go with the factory warranties. He said the 3rd party are a rip off. The supply the parts if at all and dictate how much they will pay. My mechanic is at 60-70 an hour. They pay only $35. Take forever, if ever to approve the work. Not worth it. He said your better off taking the cost and investing it for a rainy day.

lowflyn 11-12-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackPonyIHave
2 months Ago I bought my 07 gt and bought the rest of the factory warranty , since the car only had 9100 miles on it, it still had a long time left on the warranty left, so I bought it. So yes is the answer to the question if you can buy the factory warranty.....

...you don't have to buy the factory warranty. It is transferred at no cost.

Your 07 no longer has a factory warranty either...

scottydsntknow 11-12-2013 04:35 PM

You can buy more than 5 years of factory warranty if the mileage is low enough IIRC. 9100 miles should qualify. Hell, back when I had a Contour SVT someone found one with 4800 original miles on it in 2011 (model year 2000) and his local Ford dealer let him buy a 3 yr 36,000 mile warranty for it.

BlackPonyIHave 11-12-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowflyn (Post 1855846)
...you don't have to buy the factory warranty. It is transferred at no cost. Your 07 no longer has a factory warranty either...

yes I did pay for the rest of the factory warranty . I have the paper work...

lowflyn 11-13-2013 05:54 AM

Quote:

yes I did pay for the rest of the factory warranty . I have the paper work...

You bought an extended warranty through Ford. Should have a deductible and is not completely comprehensive like the new car warranty.

BlackPonyIHave 11-13-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowflyn (Post 1856657)
You bought an extended warranty through Ford. Should have a deductible and is not completely comprehensive like the new car warranty.

my bad , you are correct. I have a $100 deductible. Premium care plan.

lowflyn 11-13-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

my bad , you are correct. I have a $100 deductible. Premium care plan.

Through Ford it's not a bad deal if you want peace of mind. I transferred the extended warranty on my cobra when I bought it and cashed it out for mod money. Haven't had a warranty on anything in several years.

Anthony214 11-13-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowflyn (Post 1857420)
Through Ford it's not a bad deal if you want peace of mind. I transferred the extended warranty on my cobra when I bought it and cashed it out for mod money. Haven't had a warranty on anything in several years.

I had no idea you could cash out your warranty. Only extended though right?

lowflyn 11-13-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony214

I had no idea you could cash out your warranty. Only extended though right?

Correct. They pay you back a prorated amount.

10:36 AM