Mustang Evolution

Mustang Evolution (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/)
-   1996-2004 Mustang GT (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f280/)
-   -   compression restore (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f280/t350834/)

FullyAutomatic 03-16-2014 08:53 PM

compression restore

OK Ok I know mechanic in a can is not top choice
However I have just finished watching a few youtube videos
where people have been using this compression restore in a can.
Add it to your oil and restores the compression...
they test compression before... and in one case 6 months later and
seems to work... any thoughts on this?

MMVEC 03-20-2014 07:51 PM

Depends on how much losses you're getting per cylinder...if it's a small enough percentage, then yes, the miracle syrop can work but if you've got big losses across the range, nothing in a can will fix it. Sometimes that s**t can cause more problems long term. Collect the data; compare it to the nominal values and go from there.

Hope that helps.

Black99Snake 03-21-2014 11:03 AM

Oil bottle cap of motor oil into the spark plug hole and do the compression test again while someone bumps the key 2/3 times. That will help with a decent loss of compression. Been there done that trick. Worked for me. I've never used the stuff you asked about. I brought an average of 60psi up on all of my cylinders.

straybullitt 03-21-2014 05:27 PM

Mechanic in a can...
I always thought that job must really suck for a mechanic. I mean, they render a mechanic down into liquid form, put him into a can, and then pour him into an engine?!?!!?? It must be like a war zone inside of there for the mechanic. Stuff spinning, and moving up and down like It does... It's a wonder that any of them make it out alive!
It's not surprising that the stuff never works, you try working in those conditions and see how successful that YOU are...:rolleyes:

Seriously though, years ago, the product was STP oil treatment. Claimed to reduce oil consumption, restore lost power, reduce noise etc.
Now don't laugh, but, I actually tried it in my engine once. I had one cylinder on a small block Chevy that was using enough oil to foul the spark plug every couple thousand miles.
I opened the can and started pouring it into the funnel, it was about the consistency of Honey and took about 2 minutes to pour a pint through the funnel.Lol.
Needless to say, nothing changed... still fouled plugs.

I wouldn't even consider using anything like it on one of these engines. All that stuff can do is just change the viscosity of the oil. As stated above, it can cause more problems than it will ever be capable of solving...

Alerotaz 03-21-2014 06:59 PM

Another ill be honest story..

Ok when I first really got into cars . I bought a 74 model El Camino that had the oil light turn on whn the car would idle (225$). I only wanted it for hauling small loads "so I thought", I can get by with just adding the thick oil. I ran straight 50 weight and that oil honey. Motor was so bad it had a hard time building up air pressure for the brakes....
Needless to say... It didn't last long! LOL

:D

02:05 PM