Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Perfect RPM shift points: automatic

11K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  dubaighost 
#1 ·
What could be the perfect RPM shift points for an automatic?

Objective is to maximize speed on full throttle and get the best 0-60 time.

My lund racing tune gives me (based on a wobling video that I took):

1st gear: xxx rpm to 5100
2nd gear: 4500 to 5900
3rd gear: 4600 to xxx

My MPT- haven't received my revised tune

I've asked both tuners to make the shift points to 7000rpm.

is it right to assume that it will go faster if all shift points will be set at 7000rpm specially on 1st- 3rd gear (on full throttle)?

Can we set it over 7000rpm?

Got a 5.6 (0-60) best time on my MPT tune while using manual shifting on S mode.

Lund racing is SURPRISINGLY slower on D and S mode (and manual shifting) with the best time of 6.1. No complaints on normal driving though....

What are your thoughts on this?

See less See more
#2 ·
My Bama and MPT tunes definitely shift around 6.8k rpm at WOT, so it's possible for them to set the shift points at higher rpms. And yes, I'm sure they can set them even higher, but no reputable tuner would set an automatic car's WOT shift points at anything above redline.

On a side note, I thought that aftermarket tunes only affected Drive, not Sport (S mode). I could be wrong though.

#3 · (Edited)
Your perfect shift point depends on a lot, namely your gearing and powerband. Just shifting higher does not mean you will go faster if your powerband starts falling off. This is something i would assume your tuner knows best for you mods, seeing as how they have had expose to many different set ups to confirm the shift points they use.

That being said, your quickest times / shifts will likely come from not trying to manually shift it.

#4 ·
The tuners can NOT access Sport mode in the transmission, the tunes only work on D.

#5 ·
@voltwings the revised tune from jon lund. Hopefully it's better. ..

Yes, this only works on Drive...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.