Mustang Evolution Forum banner

My 2005 Mustang for $1,300

35K views 374 replies 77 participants last post by  doublec78 
#1 ·
Ok so I bought another mustang (in addition to my wife's). BUT this was pretty much a deal I couldn't pass up. Since I'm driving the Saturn right now, I think that this will make for a better daily driver than the Saturn, and I have every intention of either dropping a 5.0 into it, or if I'm too lazy I'll just flip it for a profit when I'm done. And it's kinda cool cause it's the same model and color as my wife's.

Story is I had a girl trade this 05 mustang in for a Jeep. After much arguing with my manager who wanted to give her $5k for her car, I convinced him to give her $1000 for it. Had to replace the battery in her Jeep and since we weren't making any money on the deal in the first place, boss said he was tacking it onto the cost of the trade making it $1200. I get to buy cars for $100 over our cost, hence $1,300 mustang.

It's Satin Silver exactly like my wifes, even has the same black stripe and all. V6 Automatic with red leather. Now let's get into the bad. This girl was the biggest pig you've seen in your entire life. Here's some pics from when I first traded the car in.

The disgusting trunk

And yes if you're wondering, those are thank god unused tampons laying in the back.

Day 1
So after getting a ****ing mask and gloves, I start emptying the trunk out.

Yes that is her nasty ass old underwear and bra in the trunk

Along with empty vodka bottles, fast food wrappers, and more I found 9 of these in the trunk. Apparently she would just eat yogurt, and toss the empty container into the trunk.

Day 2
Moved to the inside. Let us look at how disgusting this ***** was.
The film of dirt on every inch of everything

That's not discoloration, it's a film of dirty nasty **** over it.

Yep, that black **** is mold on the leather

And yes that white **** you see in the back of all the trash, had some mold in the carpet.

I don't even know how the **** she got stuff down into the shifter.

So I pull out the extractor and scrub brush and hit the carpet with hot water, and some chemicals.

Day 3
Decided to get to work on some of the interior stuff. Let us look at the E-brake. Groce!

Not perfect, but much better.

Now lettuce see what made me almost puke. I start using a screw driver to chip the stuck coins out of the drink holder.

But one of the detailers gave me some all purpose to spray in and leave it over night.

I come back and find that some of it has drained. Oh great, now it's a sludge and where did the liquid go? Well I put some gloves on and start feeling around to find that there is what appears to be a hole in the rear of the cup holder. But it isn't. There is apparently and insert in there I didn't know about.

What I found under the insert almost made me puke.
cup holder liquid - YouTube

So I took the wet vac and sucked it out, then got to cleaning.
cleaning the cupholders - YouTube

They came out pretty good.

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 PM ----------

Moving on to the dash...
So much groce

Film on everything

But after many much scrubbing and a lot of all purpose

^Not to bad!

See less See more
#2 ·
And just an hour ago I decided to move on to the shifter. Because of the ketchup packets and **** in there it was sticking and really hard to push it down into 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or even back into drive from there.

So I got some pliers and went to work pulling the trash out.

Got to cleaning out the stickiness inside with a toothbrush and some all purpose.

And sprayed some WD-40 in there.

And in the end...
Shifter - YouTube

And that's it for now. Gonna try and post some more as I go.

#4 ·
So I had an idea on my door panels...

The fabric was ripped off. Instead of buying new fabric and fitting it on, what if I just ungoo'd the panel here and painted it black? If I don't like it I can always put fabric over it. And if I do like it, it could save me some money.

---------- Post added at 12:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

Got a lot more work done on it yesterday. Unfortunately I didn't get that many pictures. Kinda got into working and forgot about snapping pics.

Started by pulling the seats out.

This is where the mold was growing under the passenger seat.

And I don't know wtf this is but it was under the rear seat. It wasn't as liquidy as it looks either. I stuck my gloved finger in it, and it felt like glue.

Then I had to move on to getting the center console out. Thank you savior Brice for having metric tools!

Turns out that cover for the shifter, straight up missing. It wasn't pushed up further in there or anything, it's just gone.

Weird stack of change that was stacked UNDER the center console. Weird.

After getting the center console out I spent a lot more time pulling random plastic covers out, and also was able to get to the shifter and clean it out better. Didn't really take any pictures though.

Got back to pulling the carpet up. Found out neither Brice nor myself had the right size Torix screwdriver to take the seat belts out, so I used a razor blade. Also wasn't about to start pulling the dash to get the carpet that runs behind the dash so I used a razor blade there too.

So I got to pulling it out, and groce!

I had actually already cleaned a bit here, but I just got to town with a scrub brush, tooth brush, and purple power.

It was so groce I literally scrubbed, then took a hose to the inside of the car.

And only AFTER taking the wet vac to get the water out did I find the drain plug.

But it was def looking much better. And the smell was gone. Hopefully when I go back next week it will smell like JDM Squash.

Then I got to the seats!

Hosed them down and took a tooth brush to them a couple times, left them in the sun to dry out.

That's pretty much where I left off. I peeled all the insulation out of the car and off the bottom of the carpet. I may either clean the carpet next week, or take it to get it pressure washed and steamed.

#6 ·
Well I didn't accomplish everything I wanted to yesterday, but I did make some progress.

Stopped to get some cleaning supplies on the way.

Got there, checked out the seats I cleaned last week to see how they turned out after they dried. Not too bad.

Time to mix up some chemicals. I did some research, and it turns out the white vinegar is really good for neutralizing and killing mold.
blacktoxicmold.com said:
Use white vinegar to kill and remove mold in your home.
1. Pour the vinegar into a spray bottle. Do not dilute the vinegar.
2. Apply the vinegar to the moldy surface. You might need to scrub the mold away to remove it totally.
3. Leave the vinegar to sit for about half an hour. Then rinse and wipe the surface with water.
4. The vinegar smell should go after a few hours.
So I poured some vinegar in a spray bottle and pulled the carpet out.

First thing to do is Purple Power that carpet and let it sit.

While the Purple power is soaking into the carpet, I thought I'd go check under the hood. Not concerned with the dirty yet, just want to make sure it isn't leaking oil.

So I got some Deep Purple from my old boss and went to town on it. It still needs to be scrubbed with a small brush, but for now it isn't caked in dirt and I'll be able to see if it's leaking anything anywhere.

Now that the carpet has sat for a while, it's time to cover it in vinegar. Both front and back.

Now that's gotta sit for 30 - 60 minutes while it kills the mold spores, so in the mean time I decided to do some other stuff.

Mix up the Dawn & Peroxide to make a good carpet cleaner. FYI, this makes a great carpet cleaner for your home too.

Mixing peroxide and dawn - YouTube

So in the mean time I decided to get back to work on the inside. You may remember how there was something on under the stereo/climate control I couldn't get out. Looks like whatever it was, was superglued almost.
(previous pic for reference)

So I decided to take that whole piece out.

Since I needed to let the vinegar sit for a little longer I took a look at the shifter. Remember how it was super gross inside with ketchup packets and stuff? Well it was because the cover for the top of the shifter was broken.
(previous pic for reference)

Well it turns out that the cover piece was just stuck back up in the shifter. So with some needle nose pliers I was able to pull it out. Unfortunately you can see I nicked the silver plaster trim a little bit, but I think I can take some fine sand paper and sand it down softly so that it's not even noticeable.

The good news about that is that the top cover also controls the little red piece that tells you what gear you are in, so it won't be permanently stuck next to the P now. I think 2 tiny dabs of Krazy Glue and I can attach it back to where it goes.

Now that I'm done with that, I threw the carpet in the trunk of the Saturn and drove it up to my work.

Pulled out the pressure washer and a scrub brush. Soaked the carpet front and back in the "home made carpet cleaner" (dawn+peroxide) and used the scrub brush to go to town.

For some of the parts I had to break out the poly bristle brush and really scrub it good.

Pressure washed it all down.

Then laid it out to dry.

Pretty much done for the day.

Got home and pulled out the pieces I gotta sand down. That's the trim that goes around the stereo/climate control as well as the trim that goes around the shifter. Unfortunately I broke two tabs on the trim pieces, here's to hoping I can make do without them.

Gonna sand these down and paint them later this week. And what car project is complete without a good beer.

Will find out how the carpet turned out shortly when I got flip it over.

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

I enjoy this thread. anxious to see how the carpet ends up looking clean & dry.
Just flipped it, came out great!

]

#9 ·
At first I was thinking "That's kind of a dick move to drop her trade down that far" then I saw the condition and all you had to do. Oh. That's why. Hahaha. I don't understand how people can live with so much filth. She probably had health issues as well. The mold isn't exactly going to help.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#11 ·
That is disgusting. Kudos to you for being able to handle cleaning that. I don't even see how someone could let their car or home get like that. I'd be embarrassed for anyone to see it.

#32 ·
I agree. I still don't understand how people can throw used cups, used food wrappers and contains in the back seat like its no big deal and just let it sit there in the heat/ cold to rot away. Every now and then I'll leave a coat or CD in my back seat and it may look a little cluttered but that's clutter not dirty.

And as far as the spilled liquid in the cup holder my very first car was a cheap eclipse and I had someone spill a milkshake over the seat and center council and it took me a full day to disassemble everything and clean it so it wouldn't mold over. After that I have a no eating/ drinks policy in all my cars aside from myself having bottled water.

#21 ·
Car was a disaster and I honestly dont understand how people can let it get into that bad of condition and great job cleaning it. But to openly say on the internet that the dealership you work at was going to give her 5k for it and because you wanted to buy it you gave her 80% less for it is really stupid. Internet is a big place and all it takes is for 1 person to recognize the car or to know who owned the car for it to blow up into bad publicity for the dealership. Not that it's anything illegal because she agreed to it but definitely typical shady dealership activity which is why so many people avoid dealerships. I would think any competent dealership owner if made aware of this kind of business occurring would fire all employees involved in such activity.

#22 ·
^That's a good point, but the girl still accepted the trade-in value. Everyone knows dealerships won't give you top-dollar for your trade-in.

His boss also said he was willing to credit $5,000 towards the Jeep, which isn't bad IMO. It was negotiation between the boss and the OP at that point, which the girl didn't have to put up with, she could of demanded the original $5K or walked away.

#23 ·
Like I said nothing illegal happened as all parties agreed to the terms of the deal but just the way it was presented if you knew which dealership this was would you buy a car from them or send your sister/wife/girlfriend who doesn't know much about cars to them to buy a car? I know I wouldn't. And I didnt see anything about a 5k credit towards the jeep.

All I saw was and I quote the OP saying 'If I wasn't buying it, I would have given her $5k for it. But my cost is $100 over company cost, so the less I gave her for it, the less i had to pay for it.' Which basically means he wasn't acting in the best interest of the company as far as being an honest/ reputable dealership and instead took advantage of a customer for his own personal gain.

#27 ·
This is one of the most amazing posts I've seen in a very long time. My eyes glaze over when I get to a long, long post, but I went over this one a few more times!

Obviously this poor car was not purchased by it's driver. Who trades in their car with their crap still in it? Do people do this a lot? Hahaha. Sort of funny, but yet, kinda not.

Congrats on this find. I hope it works out for both you and the car.

#28 ·
Imagine what the her house looks like?
So, i was going to comment that you got a "steal" of a deal, hinting that you pretty much stole the car from her, but im glad you did. She didnt deserve that car, not one bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#33 ·
When I first read this I was thinking well your a POS lol screw some innocent girl over just because you can. But then I saw the pictures haha and if she doesn't care enough to even take her personal belongings out.. then so be it, she didn't deserve the car anyways.

#36 ·
Seriously, you'd think you'd at least get the tampons off the seat or something.
Couple people raised concerns that I also had regarding trade-in value.

Bottom line is this. They did not force her to make the trade. I've personally had a dealer offer me $750 for a car I ended up selling for $3500. Does that mean the dealership was trying to screw me? No, it means they did not want my trade-in and low balled the **** out of me. Was I offended? Absolutely not. The only idiot would have been me for taking the trade.

The fact that the dealership was going to GIVE this women $5k for that mustang is just stupid. Look at the car, it was disgusting. The quote of $600 from the detailer was too low, the amount of work required, that's a $1k detail minimum due to the mold and other health concerns. Personally I would have used an Ozone machine to sterilize the interior of that car prior to and after cleaning. Actually OP...that might not be a bad idea if you can find one locally.

Kuddos to the OP for offering 1k on the trade and still making the deal. Kuddos to your management for letting you make this arrangement. On the surface I can see how people would think this is shady, but in this day and age, if anyone is too lazy to lookup a fair trade in value for their vehicle PRIOR to trading it in, then shame on them when they take an offer that's way below book.
Thanks for understanding. My manager actually said $5k before looking in the car.

I got some stuff put back together today. I need some help though. This is my center console before cleaning it, and after. No difference. I don't know what this discoloration is or how to get it to go away.

Attachments

#35 ·
Couple people raised concerns that I also had regarding trade-in value.

Bottom line is this. They did not force her to make the trade. I've personally had a dealer offer me $750 for a car I ended up selling for $3500. Does that mean the dealership was trying to screw me? No, it means they did not want my trade-in and low balled the **** out of me. Was I offended? Absolutely not. The only idiot would have been me for taking the trade.

The fact that the dealership was going to GIVE this women $5k for that mustang is just stupid. Look at the car, it was disgusting. The quote of $600 from the detailer was too low, the amount of work required, that's a $1k detail minimum due to the mold and other health concerns. Personally I would have used an Ozone machine to sterilize the interior of that car prior to and after cleaning. Actually OP...that might not be a bad idea if you can find one locally.

Kuddos to the OP for offering 1k on the trade and still making the deal. Kuddos to your management for letting you make this arrangement. On the surface I can see how people would think this is shady, but in this day and age, if anyone is too lazy to lookup a fair trade in value for their vehicle PRIOR to trading it in, then shame on them when they take an offer that's way below book.

#37 ·
Got some more work done yesterday.

Putting the carpet in for now, but it'll probably have to come back out so I can get the insulation in later.

Figured it'd be a good opportunity to wash the brackets and stuff on the seats while they were out.

In retrospect, I'm going to need to find a way to hold this down with some velcro or something, because slicing it with a razor blade wasn't the best idea I've ever had. You can see that the carpet is sliding out and getting in the way of my foot, so I'm def going to need to figure something out.

Had some trouble with the center console. Before I wash it, it looks like this.

Then I scrub it and put interior shiny cleaner stuff on it and it still looks like this.

So I left it out of the car for now, thinking I'm just going to repaint it.

Remember how I took that piece out to sand and paint for the center of the dash and how it was disgustingly dirty?

Well since I still haven't sanded and painted that piece I took this opportunity to clean that as well.

The armrest area in the back was pretty dirty. Figured I'd get that clean before I get the seats back in.

Then I moved on to the shifter. The top cover on it was broken.

So two little dabs of super glue...

And while the super glue dries, I decided to clean out the trunk. Remember all the trash that was in it in the first post? I just knew it was gonna be nasty under the carpet as well. But surprisingly it wasn't THAT bad. Just covered in dirt.

So I sprayed it down with cleaner, took a brush to it, hosed it out and drained it. And it was just fine.

Put the rear seats back in.

Went ahead and cleaned off the door sill plates. I'll probably give them to my wife as her have a lot more scuffs on them.

Now let's see if the super glue on the shifter cover held:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPesjUmzXy4&list=UUjntYReIrrddnb7_uA9A5QA

Yep!

I did not think about one thing though, no cup holders for my coffee on the way to work this morning though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.