Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Pictures of new design UPR catch can.

20K views 181 replies 18 participants last post by  70monte 
#1 ·
Today I received the new design UPR catch can. On their website they have it under the 2015 5.0 Mustang but when I called they said it works on the 11-14 5.0 as well. I don't have a picture of it installed on the car yet as the car is stored at another location for the winter but I will take the can there in a few days and install it and take pictures.

Here are some pictures of the inside of the can as well as the lines and quick connect and one picture of it next to their classic design can.

See less See more
#2 ·
some more pictures.

---------- Post added at 02:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

some more pictures.

#4 ·
I don't know why the above pictures posted twice but here are a few more pictures.

From what I can tell, it looks like a pretty good design so I will be curious how it works in real life. It looks like they did quite a bit to prevent oil and oil vapors from reaching the intake because there are many different baffles for the oil and vapors to get caught on. You can see in the one picture where I put the middle assembly down in the can itself to show how close the baffles are to the can wall so that hopefully most of the vapors and oil will be caught in the baffles instead of going around them. With the top on the can, the whole assembly is as tall as the original style can.

Wayne

---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

I don't know why the above pictures posted twice but here are a few more pictures.

From what I can tell, it looks like a pretty good design so I will be curious how it works in real life. It looks like they did quite a bit to prevent oil and oil vapors from reaching the intake because there are many different baffles for the oil and vapors to get caught on. You can see in the one picture where I put the middle assembly down in the can itself to show how close the baffles are to the can wall so that hopefully most of the vapors and oil will be caught in the baffles instead of going around them. With the top on the can, the whole assembly is as tall as the original style can.

Wayne

#6 · (Edited)
The last picture I posted is what I think is their one way check valve that is in the line that goes to the intake. Those quick connects are also their own design from what I understand.

Wayne

#12 · (Edited)
They just came out with a plug n play version that is smaller than what I just bought that is designed just like their original version and is probably what you see for sale for $115.

PS. I just went to their website and the one for $115 is their original design can which is not very effective. Watch the install video for that can and you can see that when he unscrews the bottom, the inside is not like the can I just bought. My can is also about twice as long as that can.

Wayne

#13 ·
Which plug-n-play version did you get? The one like I bought or the $115 version which is like their original design?

Wayne

#15 ·
Looks like a nice, well engineered design. The only thing I would like to see is a remote (firewall) mount - with those nice hoses and fittings they're using. I was planning on going with one from Bob's, but may have to seriously look at this one. Looks nice.

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#17 ·
After talking with the guys at UPR they said they were looking at a remote location for the 10/14's similar to the 15's. They are mounting the remote on the 15's down by the passenger front light, but on the 14 it would not work in the same location because of interference on the 14's.............I think you could buy the remote setup for the 14, the one that mounts off the passenger shock tower, and they ask them to sub the new 3 chamber can........might be a little more expensive though.

#22 ·
I just went to UPR's website and looked at their 11-14 F150 ecoboost 3.5 dual valve catch can which has a very similar interior design as the can that I bought and in the description it says it's a 4 chamber design so I'm going to assume that the can I bought is considered a 4 chamber design as well.

I do wish they would have put a drain valve provision in the can I bought because I'm not sure how long the rubber o-ring will last on the can if you have to unscrew the bottom from the top each time to drain it.

Wayne

#25 ·
I used K&N breathers on a race car with baffled tubes and the motor still brought oil residue to the valve covers and engine bay...........and the motor was only spinning 7000rpm 1/4 mile at a time. This was a push rod Windsor and not an OHC motor....maybe someone who has used them on their Coyote could comment.
I want a closed system, not an open system, but I'm anal.
You also made the comment about "much cheaper"; I don't mean to come off like an $@*hole, but if you want to do things cheaply maybe you've picked the wrong hobby.

#27 ·
The new four chamber can does not have a drain because it's quicker to pull the can off of the engine (with the new quick disconnect fittings) than it was to drain the old style cans with the drain valves. It literally takes less than five seconds to remove the can.

UPR does not have a three chamber can.

#28 ·
I don't know about that. If you read the description in this link: 11-14 Mustang GT 5.0 Billet Oil Catch Can Separator under installation, it says "The UPR oil catch can features a three chamber design CNC machined from 6061 billet aluminum unlike some of our competitors models that are single chamber tanks that don't properly trap the oils or debris"

This description is for your classic style can that you have been selling for quite a few years now and I have always heard it described as three chambers. The two chambers in the top and the one chamber consisting of the bottom tank.

I only mention the drain valve because I read a post from someone on the forums who said the threads of his UPR catch can was galling from the repeated unscrewing of the bottom part of the can over time. I don't want that to happen to mine.

So for clarification, is the can that I posted pictures of here a 4 chamber design? Thanks.

#31 ·
Who knows at this point but I doubt it catches 100%. I bet you will still get some oil vapors to get past the can.

Wayne

#33 ·
Hi Joe,
The new design looks likes it's very well thought out and should really work well. I can't wait to see the results for myself.

Wayne

#34 ·
I'm just about sold based on the design alone. I have somewhat of a background in control valve design and implementation, and this design utilizes comparable elements (torturous paths, multiple stages, etc.) that should be highly effective. Looks really nice, Joe. I'll be watching this one too.

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#36 ·
I talked with upr this morning and bought the new style can should be here this week. I was going with the S Michi can but six weeks was too long to wait. My next track day is the 24th so I will put the upr unit to the test and write up a review. The pictures Wayne posted sold me on design and the claim on efficiency is great.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#38 ·
I'm definitely looking forward to your review and the results that you get. I'm most interested if you find signs of oil in the output part of the can.

I will say that the can feels pretty solidly in place where it's mounted on my car. I don't see it flopping around at all.

I'm sorry for the double pictures. I don't know why it's doing that.

Wayne

#37 ·
I went to where my car is stored and installed the new UPR can today. Here are a few pictures. The car is in the garage so the pictures may not be the best.

Here is a picture of the can when I first installed it and I was wondering if it was going to work or not. I finally played around with it and got it situated like it is in the first pictures.

Wayne

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

I went to where my car is stored and installed the new UPR can today. Here are a few pictures. The car is in the garage so the pictures may not be the best.

Here is a picture of the can when I first installed it and I was wondering if it was going to work or not. I finally played around with it and got it situated like it is in the first pictures.

Wayne

#39 ·
That's funny the double pictures again! Thanks for posting them. It looks good. My only concern is vacuum leaks at the hose connections. What are your thoughts.

I'm glad I finally have a catch can on the way. I jumped ship again and canceled the Michi. The tipping point was the internal pics you posted. Better design than the others for sure.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#40 ·
I don't think there will be an issue with vacuum leaks because UPR's quick connects look to be at least as good as the factory Ford quick connects. Only time will tell if taking off the can over time wears out the internal o-ring to the point that a vacuum leak occurs. That might be a question we need to ask UPR.

Hopefully this new UPR can will meet or exceed your expectations considering that you have cancelled orders on what I consider to be two very good catch cans.

Wayne

#44 ·
True, but the air compressor separator will always let water and oil get through the system. I have really taken the time and effort to deliver a well though out and superior functioning system to take oil separation to a new level. Wayne has personally watched us grow over the years with these systems and was part of the catalyst that created my need for continuous improvement with our Catch Cans / Oil Separators.

I like the Avatar BTW.

I feel like that every day, Joe

#48 ·
Hey Joe,
A guy on the allfordmustangs forum posted a picture of his new design can and he had the one way check valve line going from the PCV valve to the can. Mine came with the one way check valve line exiting the can and going to the intake. Which way is correct?

His can also has two holes in the top that look like a bracket can be attached to it. Is this can actually made for the remote mount setup that the 15 uses? Thanks for any info.

Wayne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.