Mustang Evolution Forum banner

2001 GT "Shielded Calibration Select Cable?"

4K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  FChang 
#1 ·
I'm new to this forum and Mustang owner - bought a 2001 GT convertible /auto trans - slowly updating - rag top, refinished wheels, new tires, new cat back exhaust, headlights & taillights, rebuilt trans -

question: there's a wire with a rotating switch in the glove box - labeled "Shielded Calibration Select Cable" Rev.B; M.A.C. 2 - 8/15/11 -

Anyone have an idea what this is or what it does? - I rotated the switch and noticed the revs go up; then on another turn, the engine turned off.....

I'm kinda old school ("old" is the operative word - so bear with me) any help is appreciated

#4 ·
Try to avoid turning that switch while the car is running. position 1, 2, and 3 "Should" be 3 different tunes. likely a city tune, a performance tune, and race tune. then maybe 4 would be "Stock" tune. i know a bunch of other positions are either a "valet" setting, which give it a speed maximum of like 45mph i or so, and a few that will prevent the car from starting. (theft prevention).

I never had one of these but i looked into buying one. Just be careful, a performance or race tune will likeley require 92 or 93 octane gasoline otherwise you may get engine knock.

#5 ·
wow - thanks for the info - I did notice some numbered positions at the base of the switch (very small....needed reading glasses to see - again - "old" is the operative word)

when I took the car in to get it checked out for transmission issues, the mechanic did say that the PCM codes were non-existent - its starting to make sense now -

thank you very much for your time and knowledge - you also saved me some money as I was contemplating purchasing a Bama tuner in the future - I'll hold off on that and try and find someone who can give me some insight/information regarding what I already have -

#6 ·
Contact one of the guys from american muscle. There's a few on this forum. They will have more info. there is a possibility that you can send that chip to them and they can update it for you the way you want it. I would wait until you modify the engine at all, if you decide to. because that chip should already contain tunes on it specific to its (hopefully) current setup. I would start with position one, and gradually drive it harder and harder. Then try position 2, then 3. see if you feel a difference in any of them or if one is more responsive. Im almost positive one of those settings are a race tune, which would be the most aggressive tune, and more than likely require 93 octane. i would be surprised if someone paid that much money to mod and tune it only to ask the tuner to leave it at 87 octane.

#7 ·
wow again - thank you for the info, recommendations and insight. I will endeavor to be systematic and cautious while I investigate this issue. Your help and knowledge is most appreciated - I'm very new when it comes to cars like these- my last "muscle car" was in the early 70's (yeah, I'm that old) - it was a 1967 Ford Fairlane with a 390 cid, 3-speed stick, I added Hooker Headers, Thrush glass packs, - it had home made traction bars - it lit up the tires pretty good (Goodyear Polyglas on American mags) - but way back then wages were meager and so was income -even with gas at less than a buck a gallon - I couldn't afford to keep the car fueled.....Then I spent the next 30+ years driving economy cars till the 2001 GT came along......its clearly evident I'm out of my league with this....its fun but I'm behind the curve a bit.

#8 ·
Take a pic and post it... And a bama tuner is still a good buy because when u eventually do more extensive mods like cams or a blower ur tuner will load the tunes in the bama programmer to flash the ecu, however the switchable chip will have to either come out or use it for the new tunes ( if its able to be programmed like the sct one would i would just use it and not buy a bama/sct one ) u can alwAys pop the ecu out if the passanger front kickpanel and see what brand chip is in it which will help us all out alot and could give u good recommendations

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#9 ·
the 99-04 mustangs are a pretty good median between the latest technical cars and old school muscle. IT is fuel injected and controlled by its pcm, but overall, still built someone like an older car. A lot of the manual adjustments you could make for upgrades are now done via a tune, whether on the dyno, or through a handheld tuner/chip. Keep in mind, the car was built pretty well to begin with, so you wont see many gains in simply switching parts out. Accell and MSD products are both inferior to stock motorcraft ignition parts that Ford initially put on the vehicle.

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f392/t352496/ this is a great place to start.

http://paladinmicro.com/pmicro.php same guy. another wealth of information worth getting familiar with.

#10 ·
hey - you guys are the best! however, its a little sensory overload - too many acronyms - SCT, PCM, ECU - I'm currently out of town fishing & camping - so I can't go and look at the car - I do have a repair manual so I can read up on all of the things you all are talking about - its the "understanding" part that'll take some time getting familiar with....its good to know I actually bought something that's a good platform to start with - always been a Mustang fan but like life - had to be responsible for most of it before I could indulge in this current passion - at my age - racing is out of the picture, but I love the sound of a good exhaust and having the ability to smoke the tires now and again. Hell, I still use a flip phone and have never sent out a text.....maybe someday, I finally enter into the 21st Century......thanks again guys - once I figure out how to attach a photo to this "thread" I will post a photo....

#11 ·
SCT - brand of a handheld tuner.
PCM - Powertrain control module. computer that controls engine and transmission electronics.
ECU - i think engine control unit. basically the same thing as the pcm, but engine only.
basically, i believe most people just interchange ecu and pcm when reffering to the onboard computer. im pretty sure our mustangs only have 1 unit and its the PCM. not absolutely positive tho.

as for manuals, chiltons is the way to go vs haynes.

#12 ·
thanks for the explanations/definitions - I'm confident I'll get there someday as far as you folk's knowledge - your willingness to offer help and advice is appreciated not to mention outstanding....now, all I have to do is graduate up to a smart phone and figure out how to text....(NOT!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.