Mustang Evolution Forum banner

2000 GT want more power...

3K views 32 replies 8 participants last post by  kcpanages 
#1 ·
i just got my 00 gt two days ago... so far i love it unfortunately is an automatic... so far it has U.D pulleys and a k&N (im guessing) short ram since the filter is in corner of the compartment, and flowmaster 40 tips...

i have a few questions

one about how much hp might i be running now

what all would i need and about how much would it cost to reach 300hp

is the 00 gt governed if so or not what is the top speed

and does any one have some 3.73 gears they could sale for cheap

any help would be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
how much could it cost and how hard would it be to make a turbo kit for a 00 gt...

that and ive been looking a lot lately at gears. and tuners from what ive read it would be safe to bet that for the $5xx that american muscle is charging for the combo that it would be the best bang for the buck as far as cheap quick performance.

#5 ·
my 01 gt is governed and it kicks off at 117

#6 ·
so advice needed once again cause this is the first mustang ive owned.... what would be the best way to spend $500... most performance for cost... im kinda siding with the tuner gear combo unless some one can direct me otherwise.

#7 ·
Accufab 4.6L 2v 75mm Throttle Body & Plenum Combo

Professional Products Satin Typhoon Intake Manifold (99-04 4.6L 2V)* Add Professional Products Intake Manifold Gasket : 20055; Intake Manifold Gasket set of two (+$24.99)

SCT X3 PowerFlash Tuner and 4.10 Gear Kit
Motive Installation Kit (8.8in)

Comp Cams Stage I Xtreme Energy XE262AH Camshafts (99-04 4.6L 2V)

Comp Cams Valve Springs Kit Beehive (99-04 4.6L 2V)

with those all installed about how much hp would i be running.

#10 ·
i think they recommend it with stage II cams, your stock springs should be ok with stage I. if you are going to the trouble of putting cams go with the stage II with the spring kit

#11 ·
i just got my 00 gt two days ago... so far i love it unfortunately is an automatic... so far it has U.D pulleys and a k&N (im guessing) short ram since the filter is in corner of the compartment, and flowmaster 40 tips...

About how much hp might i be running now
The pullies - about 7hp/7tq, The K&N about 2hp/2tq, Exhaust (if mufflers) about 7hp/7tq. Thats 16hp/16tq over stock (260/300) so 275hp/316tq give or take, no real exact science since you cant really just add mods together~ just a round about. The auto sucks about 22% of your hp/tq so at the rear wheels you are making 215rwhp/245rwhp ~

What all would i need and about how much would it cost to reach 300hp
At the engine, its possible with all the bolt ons and a good tune im sure, at the rear wheels... your going to need to replace some more stuff like heads/cams or go with a power adder.

Is the 00 gt governed if so or not what is the top speed
It depends on what size rims/tires the car had stock. If it has 16s stock the cutoff is much lower than 17s. Its based on what the tires can go, not the car. I think 16s were 115 cut off and 17s were 155. No need to ever go that fast on a public road anyway.

and does any one have some 3.73 gears they could sale for cheap
Go with ford racing gears, don't get used and get them installed professionally by someone that knows gears. They are easy to screw up and do not just bolt in. I would recommend a warranty for X miles from gear noise/whine/failure. Not a verbal warranty as they will just lie and say you raced it and thats why...

#12 ·
thanks for the help.... the tires are 245/45 zr17 99w... so with cams, tb/ plenum combo, gears/ tune combo. headers and a x-pipe setup i could easily be pushing over 300

#14 ·
I think you could be over the 300 mark with the mods you have listed.

I'm not sure about the X pipe...but I'm guessing that since it specifically says "Manual", it may not work for an auto.

#15 · (Edited)
It sounds like alot of the mods I have or am setting up to do soon, you should order the Typhoon intake you will get more out of the new cams. It nothing a couple of hundred dollars can't handle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.