Mustang Evolution

Mustang Evolution (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/)
-   2005-2010 Mustang GT (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f256/)
-   -   Supercharger help (http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f256/t84712/)

Max420 01-08-2009 06:50 PM

Supercharger help
 
Im needing some help on adding a supercharger to my 07 stang. Everything is stock and after all my reading and searching, the Whipple seems to be the best bet for me. Im hopeing to get somewhere along the line of 550hp but as i said the mustang is stock. First i need to know how much the stock mustang can handle? Ive just paid it off and would rather be alittle on the safe side but would love to know how far it can be pushed? Also i have 4000miles on it but i cant take it nomore i need more power. Any and all help please..

hottcobra 01-08-2009 08:01 PM

Re: Supercharger help
 
well the whipple is one of the best out their. also the saleen is a great set up. and 550hp is the upper end of the limits of the stock short block.

Who are looking to get the set up from?

Max420 01-08-2009 08:09 PM

Re: Supercharger help
 
Ok people. The more i read the more i change my mind on what to do for more power. Im not sure where to start or if the whipple is the way to go.
So many choices i dont know which way to go. So being new Im going to ask. Whats the best way to go for a budget of 10k? I do want Max hp ofcourse but also a nice sound. Not looking to break track records or even take it there, Well maybe on occasion ;)
Im curious on what u all think and hopefully i can get busy powering this thingup. The body i am not so worried about im more concered with motorwork now. Im no mechanic but a bodyman by trade

hottcobra 01-08-2009 08:13 PM

Re: Supercharger help
 
if I were you this is the kit I would go with. I have dealt with this company a lot and they are great.
Brenspeed Stage 4 Saleen Package 540+ HP

Max420 01-08-2009 08:34 PM

Re: Supercharger help
 
i dont wanna sound silly but how is there service? and does the kit come with an install manual torque specs that kinda stuff? Im wondering how bad it wil be to install

hottcobra 01-08-2009 08:38 PM

Re: Supercharger help
 
they have very good tech. advice and a very detailed manual.

if you are pretty good wrench it takes about 10 hours

Max420 01-08-2009 08:43 PM

Re: Supercharger help
 
Now im getting all pumped up. The clutch sounds like a job to install. In your opinion do i need a larger radiator. Dont want heat to be a factor

hottcobra 01-08-2009 08:47 PM

Re: Supercharger help
 
it's not bad. it's a nice little day job for a noob

SpectorV 01-09-2009 07:35 AM

Re: Supercharger help
 
I personally wouldnt push it more than 400-450rwhp~ if this is your DD car I would have two tunes, one to keep it down on power and safter and another for the track etc.

hottcobra 01-09-2009 10:38 AM

Re: Supercharger help
 
those are crank hp specs

SpectorV 01-09-2009 02:51 PM

Re: Supercharger help
 
oh, yea 450rwhp is what I ment not crank

The Darkside 01-09-2009 04:35 PM

Re: Supercharger help
 
the saleen looks good. all i can say from personal experience, get a roots supercharger style like the saleen or the whipple, kennybell, not a supercharger like the procharger. i have a procharger and i make close to 400 at the crank in a v6. problem is that because its not a roots style the boost is not immediate, theres like a 1 or close to 2 second lag. from what i have been told roots style superchargers do not have that problem.

05RedDevil 01-09-2009 10:25 PM

Re: Supercharger help
 
+1. If you haven't called Brenspeed by now, just call them and talk to them. I have ordered all of my performance parts from them. I have their Saleen Stage 3 kit and you see my dyno numbers. My track number is old but I haven't gone to the track to get an update for it. I also got the Spec Stage 2+ clutch and flywheel. Do the s/c install yourself and save the cash. I'd have a shop do the the clutch but that is just my 2 cents. I absolutely love mine.!

Max420 01-12-2009 05:04 PM

Re: Supercharger help
 
Whats your opinion on the whipple? Seems like the prices are close and im liking the look of the whipple more than the saleen. Any pros or cons about these two?

fear1 01-13-2009 02:19 PM

Re: Supercharger help
 
I would also consider upgrading the brakes and suspension at the same time. The rear suspension will need an upgrade to get that amount of HP to the ground without wheel-hop. You definitely want to be able to stop that 500 HP beast as well hense the need for a brake upgrade.

PureVenom 01-13-2009 02:24 PM

Re: Supercharger help
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max420 (Post 535355)
Whats your opinion on the whipple? Seems like the prices are close and im liking the look of the whipple more than the saleen. Any pros or cons about these two?

The whipple is a little more efficient than the saleen and will make slightly more hp per pound of boost. You can't go wrong with either option though.

The Darkside 01-13-2009 09:49 PM

Re: Supercharger help
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PureVenom (Post 535741)
The whipple is a little more efficient than the saleen and will make slightly more hp per pound of boost. You can't go wrong with either option though.

venom going on that, what do you think of the kennybells? ive heard good things, what do you think?

PureVenom 01-13-2009 10:57 PM

Re: Supercharger help
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Cheema (Post 535925)
venom going on that, what do you think of the kennybells? ive heard good things, what do you think?

Kenne Bells are good superchargers but, there are some issues with them. First of all is their customer service is relative ****. Buying new, you have to buy your KB either directly from them or from a shop that sells them and then the shop has to install it.

Also, a number of people have to send their blowers back to be rebuilt every so many thousand miles. Some have been lucky and gone many thousands of miles, others have had theirs rebuilt 4-5 times within 10k miles. It's really hit or miss.

While they are bigger displacement, the whipples are in the end a more reliable blower and will be able to put down the same amount of power. Plus the whipples are much more aesthetically pleasing.

The Darkside 01-14-2009 03:40 PM

Re: Supercharger help
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PureVenom (Post 535945)
Kenne Bells are good superchargers but, there are some issues with them. First of all is their customer service is relative ****. Buying new, you have to buy your KB either directly from them or from a shop that sells them and then the shop has to install it.

Also, a number of people have to send their blowers back to be rebuilt every so many thousand miles. Some have been lucky and gone many thousands of miles, others have had theirs rebuilt 4-5 times within 10k miles. It's really hit or miss.

While they are bigger displacement, the whipples are in the end a more reliable blower and will be able to put down the same amount of power. Plus the whipples are much more aesthetically pleasing.



hmm this leads me to question how good their blower is for the gt500. they make a big stink how there blower will get it to like 730 hrs. but if its not reliable, what the point!
do you have any idea what kinda blower shelby is using on the supersnakes?? just wondering.

PureVenom 01-14-2009 03:46 PM

Re: Supercharger help
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Cheema (Post 536132)
hmm this leads me to question how good their blower is for the gt500. they make a big stink how there blower will get it to like 730 hrs. but if its not reliable, what the point!
do you have any idea what kinda blower shelby is using on the supersnakes?? just wondering.

They are using kenne bells.

Their blowers are good, but they have been known to have issues. The 2.2L and 2.4L blowers had several issues when they were the big dogs. The 2.6 and 2.8's now have sporradic issues. They use the same blower for all the kits, they just change the snout and the intake plenum.

Some of the problems with the 2.6/2.8 options have been leaking oil from the snout, locked up blower when the rotors contacted the case, and damaged gears in the snout.

The biggest complaint I have about them is about all of the stories I hear from people trying to get a hold of them when something goes wrong with thier blower. Plus their "we're the greatest ever" attitude I've seen on forums they participate on. The other issue I have with them is if you use an under hood ram air intake type system like I have, instead of a fender wall cold air kit, they will void the warranty on the blower. So if I bought a new 2.8H for $3800, the minute I hook up my JLT Ram Air Intake kit to fully utilize the blower's capabilities, I void the warranty. It's a crock of caca if you ask me.

The Darkside 01-14-2009 03:50 PM

Re: Supercharger help
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PureVenom (Post 536134)
They are using kenne bells.

Their blowers are good, but they have been known to have issues. The 2.2L and 2.4L blowers had several issues when they were the big dogs. The 2.6 and 2.8's now have sporradic issues. They use the same blower for all the kits, they just change the snout and the intake plenum.

Some of the problems with the 2.6/2.8 options have been leaking oil from the snout, locked up blower when the rotors contacted the case, and damaged gears in the snout.

The biggest complaint I have about them is about all of the stories I hear from people trying to get a hold of them when something goes wrong with thier blower. Plus their "we're the greatest ever" attitude I've seen on forums they participate on. The other issue I have with them is if you use an under hood ram air intake type system like I have, instead of a fender wall cold air kit, they will void the warranty on the blower. So if I bought a new 2.8H for $3800, the minute I hook up my JLT Ram Air Intake kit to fully utilize the blower's capabilities, I void the warranty. It's a crock of caca if you ask me.

wow thanks. thats good info man. ill keep that in mind. you know my future plans stilll include to have a gt500. i was thinking id just put one of their blowers on eventually after i get it, but i guess i might start looking to see who else does it as well. well see what happens with the time comes.
thanks again

PureVenom 01-14-2009 04:01 PM

Re: Supercharger help
 
I would research them more when you get close to your GT500 plans. They may fix their issues by then.

Another option is the beheamouth 3.4L whipple that will out perform that 2.8L KB all day long....

Whipple has just always been much more receptive to helping than KB has on a couple other forums I am on.

But like I Said, KB does make a good blower, it's just that there have been a lot of threads posted up of people sending their blower off for rebuilds, or selling their rebuilt blowers.

Plus, an example of their mentality. Whipple and KB both admit the stock intake plenum available on their current blower offerings are horrbily restrictive to the tune of costing 50-75 rwhp.

Whipple addresses this problem with a new plenum called the crusher intake. You can buy this intake plenum and bolt it up to your existing whipple unit.

KB addresses this problem by offering the Mammoth intake. However, you can not just buy the intake plenum, you have to buy an entirely new blower with the mamoth intake on it at the tune of $5600 after spending $3800 for your existing blower. Also, instead of making an intake that existing 03/04 cobra owners can buy, you have to buy the entire blower AND it forces the 03/04 cobra owner to move their intake to the driver side because they didn't want to make one allowing 03/04 cobra owners to maintain their existing FACTORY DESIGN.

Now, tell me which business plan you like better?

The Darkside 01-15-2009 01:49 PM

Re: Supercharger help
 
wow....you rock venom! thanks. thats really good info.
thats why i come to you lol

Max420 02-15-2009 11:49 AM

Re: Supercharger help
 
Im rdy to order my Whipple but would like to order from whipple and I cant seem to find an 800#? Could have swore i seen a similiar post but cant find it. Also, Would it be worth it to order the Throttle body aswel? Curious to know if it is going to make a considerable difference keeping the stock on. Im leaning toward getting it just wanted some input before i spend the money

1234 02-16-2009 12:44 PM

Re: Supercharger help
 
Id say get the throttle body. As for the phone number (559) 442-1261.

1234 02-16-2009 12:45 PM

Re: Supercharger help
 
Or the link to theor page. Whipple Industries

SpectorV 02-16-2009 01:00 PM

Re: Supercharger help
 
they may only sale through distributors, please check our vendors as they may can give discounts to forum members and every little bit helps.


11:05 AM

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.