Some advice? V6 2003 Mustang. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-17-2018, 11:18 AM   #1

Some advice? V6 2003 Mustang.

Alright, is there anyone here who can give me advice for learning to drive manual, it's my first car (and really I should have waited till I learned more before buying the car I guess, but it was a good deal, and I was in need of a new car) and everyone I know is about useless as a log to help me, so I want to just teach myself, but my problem is;

1. I drove auto all my life, and while I understand the concept, my issue is the feeling of having no control since braking is different, the shifting is easy

2. I drove a small car, a ford focus se 2007 so I'm going to a v6 2003 mustang, so it's bigger, and I feel clumsy with it and I dunno how to help myself.

3. I live in NJ and I don't have a flat parking lot nearby, I'm in a lake community which sucks, so I'm scared of rolling back into anyone, I haven't, and did a burn out but accelerating a little too much when I had the emergency brake up to help from rolling back (I just don't get how people who drive it everyday don't do it?)

3. I'm not used to how much power I need to GIVE the car, I have to press more for this car, than my focus, so if anyone who has experience with the cars more so give advice in that would be great..

4. Is it actually better, I hear different things every time when I ask, is it better to throw into neutral when coming to a stop, or actually downshifting? The clutch is in great condition so..

I want to learn bad, so I'm intended I just need help from other people who know what they're talking about, and feel more comfortable. Maybe it'll help me out to talk on here. If you have any other advice other than what I mentioned that'd be nice.

I'm also 5'1" so I had to add an extension pedal to the car to help, I still feel like I have to stretch my leg even if sitting up as much as I can to the dash, so I think that's where my nervousness comes in, I can't all the way since the "cock pit" angling doesn't help me. My knees will be smashed and then I can't move my legs. Is there something I can do for that too? I dunno.
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2018, 07:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The easiest way to learn how to drive your manual transmission car is to find a level, flat area to practice in. I know that you said that there is no suitable parking lot nearby. Perhaps there is a level road with very light traffic, or some other area that you could safely use? It doesn't need to be very long.
Anyway, with the car stopped on a level surface, very very slowly let the clutch out without touching the gas pedal, and try to get the car moving. Just let the engine idle. Keep doing that until you have a good feel for where the clutch engages with the flywheel. Once you have mastered that, you can start giving it a little gas, just as the clutch begins to engage. This will help develop the muscle memory in your left leg, which will eventually allow you to operate the clutch without even thinking about it.
You can also find a place to practice letting out the clutch on an incline, without having to worry about someone behind you.
The main thing is you just need to practice. With a little experience, you will gain confidence, and shifting through the gears will become second-nature.
It is much easier on the clutch if you don't downshift when coming to a stop. Put the transmission into neutral, and let the brakes do the work... Brakes are much easier and less expensive to replace than clutches are!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
What "straybullit" said, and just practice, practice, practice.
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2018, 10:47 PM   #4

Thanks, I very much appreciate it both of you, I was actually practicing finding the bite point today and I think I have that down, I didn't know the muscles in your leg have to basically learn (since they learn, only being used to jumping around, etc).

Also, just want to know, I know basic's, but what's the best ways to make sure you don't ride, and wear the clutch out. Like, in what ways can you? I know holding it, and keeping your foot on it, and not pushing the clutch all the way in.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:18 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
You already mentioned the different ways to wear out a clutch...Avoid doing those things, and you'll be fine.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:24 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
**** if I was still in NJ I'd help out... not local now tho. But... you are in NJ, there are a MILLION convenient parking lots to practice in. Go at night to a Wal Mart, Target, Church, one of the ton of mall parking lots etc... Practice practice practice.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
It would be irresponsible for me to mention mall/shopping center parking lots as well as bank parking lots after 5pm.
Adfalenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:13 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Don’t you know anyone that knows how to drive a manual that can help you?
jkeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:35 AM   #9

I've been doing better now, I went with my brother once, but no one in my family really drives it anymore, that does it properly, I have to do it on my own to now fck the clutch. After I screwed with the seat and the inside of the car, I feel more confident. I just don't use it as a daily car unfortunately either and have like 2 days off if I'm lucky a week. But, I'm doing good.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:39 AM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
The advice I gave my son when trying to teach him to use a manual transmission was to do this:
With the clutch pedal all the way to the floor, bring the engine up to 1,200 rpm (this may vary depending on the available torque of the car’s engine). Your V6 may require fewer rpm to do this. Try around 900 to 1,000 rpm to start.....
Then, slowly start to release the clutch pedal while you try to keep the rpm’s at exactly 1,200 rpm (or the above rpm suggested) and the vehicle starts to move...(this will necessitate using slightly more throttle as the clutch engages). Do not let the rpm’s increase until the clutch is fully engaged and you are ready to accelerate more.
There will be stops and starts and zooming rpm’s while you practice this technique, but stay with it, and you will soon be smoothly moving away from a stop.
Of course, inclines etc. will require more rpm’s and a faster clutch release, but even experienced manual operators hate inclines as they can be tricky to master. You will become familiar with moving your right foot from the brake to the throttle quickly in these situations...but as stated — this can be tricky even for experienced shifters.......
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
2003 mustang