HOW DO I GET THE MOST POWER OUT OF MY 04 3.9L v6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-03-2018, 09:07 PM   #1

HOW DO I GET THE MOST POWER OUT OF MY 04 3.9L v6

I have an 04 3.9L v6 mustang righ now the mods on it are

Flowmaster Force II Dual Cat-Back Exhaust (99-04 V6)
BBK Blackout Cold Air Intake (99-04 V6)
BBK 65mm Throttle Body (01-04 V6)
MSD Performance Coil Packs (01-04 V6
MSD Super Conductor 8.5mm Spark Plug Wires - Red (01-04 V6)
NGK Iridium IX Performance Spark Plugs (93-01 Cobra; 96-04 GT, Mach 1; 98-04 V6)

havent gotten it tuned yet but is it worth 400 for a SCT tuner with my mods? also what else can I do to it get as much HP as possible without dropping 5k on a turbocharger.

Also with my current exhaust setup (dual cat back exhaust not true duel, connects to factory Y-pipe) how would i get a deeper tone, I could gut the cats but i feel that wouldn't sound nearly as nice plus illegal.

anyway im just mad my parents forced me to get a v6 but imma get as much hp as i can get out of it...
A.Pavlides is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2018, 11:52 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
Besides your exhaust nothing there is adding any power.

Windstar intake, tune, gears, shifter, suspension. That's it.

Its never going to be fast unless you spend more money on it than it would cost to buy a 11-14 GT. I'd just make it reliable and make it look good and drive it. Regardless of whether its a 6 or 8 the New Edge is one of the best looking cars out there.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:39 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
You're obviously very young and still live at home. Still in high school? You have an impressive list o do-nothing mods there. A tune is your best bet, but a real tune. Not a AM bama tune. Read up on some tuning threads on this forum. There are tons. Drive the car the way it is and enjoy it. After a few years of gaining driving experience, upgrade to a GT. You don't want to become another statistic.
jkeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2018, 12:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeaton View Post
You're obviously very young and still live at home. Still in high school? You have an impressive list o do-nothing mods there. A tune is your best bet, but a real tune. Not a AM bama tune. Read up on some tuning threads on this forum. There are tons. Drive the car the way it is and enjoy it. After a few years of gaining driving experience, upgrade to a GT. You don't want to become another statistic.
Yea senior year in high school. Bought my 04 3.9L for $2500 w 90k miles on it. I was offered an 02 gt for $400 with 110k miles engine is fine but body is ****, would it be worth engine swapping if i can get the whole gt for $400? also it has a bunch of other good parts that i can transfer aswell
Old 09-04-2018, 12:31 PM   #5

also wdym by real tune not a bamba tune, like get it tuned at a dyno?
Old 09-04-2018, 01:29 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
A dyno or mail order tune. Do some searching around on this forum. There are tons of threads on tuning as well as engine swaps.
jkeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 02:41 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
Do you have the tools to do the swap? Engine hoist, torque wrenches, pullers, full metric/SAE socket/wrench sets, air tools etc? Do you have the time it'll take to do such a swap to be without a car? Do you have a few friends who can help you? Are your folks ok with a ****ton of parts all over the place and a junk car/project car parked at their place for at least a month? Do you have someone who has done this before to help you?

That's all what you have to consider. If you can get a whole donor car you will need to do a FULL wire harness swap, swap the fuel system, all the electronics so honestly the whole interior SHOULD come out to make it easy, swap the whole engine and trans, K member, front suspension and rear.

Not trying to scare you, just trying to make you think. Again, Windstar intake, 4.10 gears, shifter, tune and then suspension suspension suspension as well as appearance mods and a good set of wheels and tires. And then just drive it. Let it get you through college or trade school or just be a reliable vehicle for your first job as you work up to a salary where you can go get a real nice car or have a project like this on the side at your own place with a DD to get you around while you tinker in the garage.

Been there, done that, have the T-shirt. At your age right out of high school, unless you have the background and have a really good job already you DO NOT want to be spending all your money/time on car mods. Especially for a 2001 V6...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:44 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
They gave you Good Advise. Even with changing your Gears, you would still need a Tuner for correcting the Speedometer. Their Advise is way better.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang