3.73 gear install disaster. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-17-2018, 12:04 AM   #1

Region: Florida
3.73 gear install disaster.

Installed 3.73 gears today on my fox. I think I should have taken it to a diff shop because my diff feels too tight now. It’s hard to turn the rear wheels by hand at the moment. I let the car run in 5th gear on a lift suspended in the air for a few minutes and all I hear is a very light grinding noise followed by a random clunk as the wheels turn. As I remember when I used to turn my wheels by hand the wheels would go the same direction with barely any resistance but now they Rotate in opposite directions and it’s super tight. Then I jerked the wheel clockwise and counter then the wheels started going on the same direction like how they used to but if I jerk the rear wheel again, the wheels will go in opposite direction. Perhaps the differential is jumping around when I do this and it’s engaging differently? Idk. Also the pinion flange is getting hot, nothing else is getting hot though. I made sure to shim everything correctly on the differential carriers. My only guess is my pinion depth is either too far in (towards the diff cover) or too out (towards the drive shaft). I knew I should have taken it somewhere to get it done but I felt confident doing it myself after doing tons of research and wanted see how it can be done. I understand that these gears have a break in period and get loose as I go but that random clunk is what worries me.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks
Haav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2018, 07:06 AM   #2

Region: Other
First time doing a gear install?
jkeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:55 AM   #3

Region: Canada
there should be no noise and certainly no clunking and grinding. If you are lucky the R&P might still be salvageable but, you must stop messing with it now, pull it apart and redo it. Proper precision tools and/or an experienced hand are required here. Ford uses the slap-to-torque method on the assembly line with 8.8s so, it's not super-precision but, the gears have to run smoothly. Don't beat yourself up too much; this is how we learn. I've made similar mistakes over the 30+ years I've been goofing around with this hobby.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2018, 10:17 AM   #4
Staff
Staff

Region: Europe
Gears DO NOT have a break in period.

Did you properly torque down the crush sleeve and make sure you got a good pattern with paint on the gears before you buttoned it up?

I'd take it to a shop at this point. You probalby will need a new set of gears and a new install kit tho plus whatever they want to charge you.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:20 AM   #5

Region: California
I agree. Don't drive it. Stop fooling around with it.
It all needs to be disassembled back to the pinion gear. Every component needs to be checked for smooth operation as the differential is being assembled. Nothing should be binding or making any abnormal noises. If something doesn't seem right as the differential is being assembled, you need to stop and figure out what is causing the problem before continuing on with the assembly. There really is no break in period. If it is noisy now, it will always be noisy.
I think that you are right to be suspect of the pinion gear. Something is not right if it's getting hot running with the rear wheels in the air...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:33 PM   #6

Region: Pennsylvania
The pinion has the depth it’s supposed to go in stamped right on the end of the gear. And they also have a different type of sleeve if you don’t want to use the crush sleeve.

Good luck!

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

The pinion has the depth it’s supposed to go in stamped right on the end of the gear. And they also have a different type of sleeve if you don’t want to use the crush sleeve.

Good luck!👍
Charger212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:15 PM   #7

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeaton View Post
First time doing a gear install?
Yeah, lol I thought I could give it a try as I’ve worked on everything else on this car.
Haav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:44 AM   #8

Region: New Jersey
can't imagine what you did here / I've re used old shims and crush sleeves back before I learned the correct way to do this and all I ever got was a little gear whine , never a bind or clunk , take it to someone now ….
Old 06-22-2018, 10:56 PM   #9

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Gears DO NOT have a break in period.
All spot-on except maybe above: Every gearset I've ever bought, from Ford anyway, had a dull-looking grayish finish appearance on the gear tooth faces. It is said to be a Phosphate coating which quickly disappears when the gears begin transmitting power. Supposedly brings a quick-polish surface to the lapped surfaces. I wouldn't call it a "break-in", though.
65 k car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:49 AM   #10
Staff
Staff

Region: Europe
No, it's correct. There is no break in period for Ford gears. Any shop that tells you there is probably does ****ty installs.

Sent from my Z978 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT