CAI, Exhaust, Pulley change - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-30-2017, 12:22 AM   #1

Region: Connecticut
CAI, Exhaust, Pulley change

Hello, I just purchased this stock 2008 Roush Trak Pak, amazing that in 2008 the car did not get a CAI, considering the Roush package on this car cost $31000.
I'm thinking I initially would like to do a CAI, something with the exhaust, a pulley change, and a tune.
The car has cats, an H pipe, and the axle back Roush mufflers, it sounds okay but I want to try and get a deeper, throaty, louder growl.
The car will be registered and spend a lot of time in a state that does not require emissions, someone mentioned to me to have the honeycomb interior of the cats knocked out, that alone would increase the sound, thoughts on that?
Or would most recommend leaving the cats alone or deleting them completely?
I would like to consider headers but somebody told me this interesting Theory, is it true? They said headers are good for adding high-end horsepower, but not low-end torque, that stock manifolds will give you more low-end torque than headers, true-false?
I'm interested in more torque than horsepower.
I'm guessing that a system designed and made in 2008 is considered old and a lot has changed since then. I've listened to the new Roush extreme performance exhaust video online that uses resonators instead of mufflers and I really liked that sound, and I'm guessing that the car had stock manifolds and cats. So should I do headers or not? Should I keep the cats or delete them? Should I leave everything as it is and just get the new resonators and see what happens? What is everybody else out there using when they want a low deep growl? I'm not opposed either of doing a full exhaust system if people have some good opinions of systems they've used.
Along with that may I have your opinions on which CAI to get?
Seems that there's a lot of people out there changing their pulleys from the stock setup, again my goal is more low-end torque than high-end horsepower, someone mentioned to me that I should consider changing the crank pulley instead of the supercharger pulley to get more torque, What is everybody's opinion and Truth on that subject of pulley change?
Also, I hear of people changing their thermostats, can someone tell me why and should I do that?
In a couple of the pictures that I'm going to attach you can see where the exhaust goes up over the axle, there's a pretty good kink in the pipe, is that just how it was done in 2008? or is it still that way today? I was under the impression you wanted your exhaust to flow as unobstructed as possible, will I need to get a new full exhaust to fix that?
Anything else that is recommended that is not an in depth motor mod?
Thanks, Everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170925_110421.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	244290   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170925_110424.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	978.0 KB
ID:	244298  

ralfano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2017, 11:23 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
I wouldn't invest in that M90. If you're on a Budget look into the VMP 1.7L TVS. If not look at the Roush or VMP 2.3L TVS. Both the 1.7L and 2.3L will make more efficient power than a pulley and ported M90. They'll also max out your engine with just a pulley swap and injectors.
As for mufflers, Roush extreme axel backs have my vote. Only issues is drone. If that bothers you don't get them.

Pick your poison.
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon View Post
I wouldn't invest in that M90. If you're on a Budget look into the VMP 1.7L TVS. If not look at the Roush or VMP 2.3L TVS. Both the 1.7L and 2.3L will make more efficient power than a pulley and ported M90. They'll also max out your engine with just a pulley swap and injectors.
As for mufflers, Roush extreme axel backs have my vote. Only issues is drone. If that bothers you don't get them.

Pick your poison.
Recon, thanks for your honesty, I wasn't expecting that answer, could you fill me in a little more since I'm a newbie.
Are you more or less saying in a certain way that instead of doing all those other modifications I should leave it as is and I will gain much more horsepower and torque by changing the supercharger alone?
I could live with the exhaust the way it is at the moment.
And I noticed quickly that some supercharger kits come with a CAI.
So am I understanding you correctly that with a few modifications to my M90, the M90 is a entry level charger from Roush that gets maxed out quickly?
I definitely am on a budget but if you're saying I start adding up all those other little modifications whatever they add up to, and how much more in the end might I have to put in, give me a rough idea of what a VMP 1,7L TVS, installed will run me? And what will it do over my present stock situation for numbers.
I never even considered changing the supercharger on a car I just bought a week ago, lol...
But as I said I'm a newbie and didn't have a clue of the M90s limitations, but in the end if that's really the better route to go I'm all ears and thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2017, 12:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Pulley, full exhaust and a more efficient heat exchanger.
Just get the VMP 500hp kit. And a heat bigger exchanger, longtubes. You will be happy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Pulley, full exhaust and a more efficient heat exchanger.
Just get the VMP 500hp kit. And a heat bigger exchanger, longtubes. You will be happy

Well if I'm looking at the website correctly, they have that set up on sale for $600 off.
down to $2099, Then I have to add a tuner at a minimum correct?
Old 09-30-2017, 02:48 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The 500hp kit is $1000 and comes with a tune

Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Tags
cai, exhaust