Califorina Exhaust Laws :( - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-06-2019, 06:56 PM   #1

Question Califorina Exhaust Laws :(

Hey there, I currently own a 2008 GT Mustang and I was wondering if anyone knows if theres any exhaust out there that passes Califorina's 95 decible law? I had a flomaster but had to take that off due to the new laws because it was extremely loud. I was hoping to find an exhaust that allows me to hear a nice crackle!
Kwhet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2019, 09:14 PM   #2

Region: Kentucky
Is the rest of your exhaust stock? I’ve heard Flowmasters on a 3V with everything else stock and it wasn’t much louder, if any, than factory.
I know Magnaflow is pretty tame when you want it to be and loud when you are having fun. I just don’t like the sound they make.

Pick your poison.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:25 PM   #3

Region: California
95 decibels is really pretty loud. Unless you drive around at wide open throttle most of the time, or frequent sideshows late at night, basically just looking for attention from law enforcement, I really wouldn't worry about the state decibel limit. 95 decibels is actually 3 decibels higher than the sound limit at Laguna Seca Raceway!

Get whatever mufflers that sound the best to you.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2019, 11:24 AM   #4

Califorina Exhaust Laws

He might be referring to outlaws which are loud. The chambered flowmasters aren’t much louder than factory due to the placement of the mufflers.

Pick your poison.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon View Post
He might be referring to outlaws which are loud.

Pick your poison.
The name says it all.

Do you think that a catted 3V running Outlaw mufflers would be louder than a big jackhammer, Recon?
Old 05-08-2019, 03:56 AM   #6
Staff
Staff

Region: Europe
I'd want his *** to get cited by the state to quiet down an 95+ decibel exhaust too... there are like... ppl who work nights or have kids etc... in the houses you are driving by with that obnoxiously overloud/overcompensating exhaust. I'm sure the neighbors love it...
There is a big difference between sounding good and just making noise.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
The name says it all.

Do you think that a catted 3V running Outlaw mufflers would be louder than a big jackhammer, Recon?

I don’t believe so. I have Roush extreme’s on my 427R and they’re smaller than outlaws, but longer. My exhaust is stock besides the mufflers. It’s not loud loud but it’s definitely not quiet and it drones. Now in the mustang club that I’m a part of; there’s a member with longtubes catless 3V with outlaws and it’s a little obnoxious. (Sarcasm, it’s ridiculous)

Pick your poison.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:47 PM   #8

Region: Pennsylvania
Borla Touring mufflers are 50 state legal and they are definitely louder than stock.
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:02 AM   #9

When California changed the exhaust law this year, the decibel limit didn't change. It has been 95 decibels for years, which is very liberal (pun) IMO. Any exhaust system that was legal in 2018, is still legal in 2019.
What did change, is now law enforcement is required to write a citation for the infraction, whereas previously, loud exhaust was written as a "fix-it" ticket which, if repaired in a reasonable amount of time, could be inspected and there was no fine involved. As the law is written now, a law enforcement official can write a citation for loud exhaust without necessarily using the appropriate SAE procedure for testing the decibel output of a vehicle's exhaust system. The ticket can be written solely upon the officer's judgment.
So that basically means that if you are ticketed, and have a 93 decibel exhaust system on your car, you are presumed guilty, and will have to prove your own innocence, by taking the time to take the car to an official referee to get it certified at your own cost, and then you will have to go to court to contest the ticket.
It's really a law which gives the police another reason to pull someone over, and then, chances are, the driver will have a suspended license, a warrant, no proof of insurance, the smell of alcohol or weed coming from the car, etc, and suddenly the exhaust is forgotten about.

95 decibels is louder than the majority of us would be willing to put up with on a daily basis. I would think that having mufflers of any type, particularly with the catalytic converters in place, would quiet the exhaust down well below 95 decibels.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust