1978 mustang title questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-05-2019, 11:28 PM   #1

1978 mustang title questions

I recently had my eyes in this 1978 mustang that does not run or start for a good price. However, based on the dmv’s website, one would need a smog certificate to get the title transferred. Since the car does not run or start, there is no way of getting it smoged. I am in California. I am a total newbie as come to buying older project cars like this. Anybody having any solution to this would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
tt99caden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2019, 05:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
You can go to the DMV and get the paperwork started, and transferred into your name, but the registration will not be issued until the car passes emissions testing.
The registration and title for the car will be in "limbo", so be sure to save all of the paperwork from the DMV. That way the registration process will go easier when you finally get the vehicle running and smogged.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt99caden View Post
I recently had my eyes in this 1978 mustang that does not run or start for a good price. However, based on the dmv’s website, one would need a smog certificate to get the title transferred. Since the car does not run or start, there is no way of getting it smoged. I am in California. I am a total newbie as come to buying older project cars like this. Anybody having any solution to this would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Take the car's current title, properly assigned over to you, over into Arizona, say, in Mohave County, no smog test or inspection required, and get it titled in Arizona. You need not get registration immediately, but if you like, they will allow you to sign an affidavit stating the car will not be driven on any public road.
65 k car is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2019, 02:51 AM   #4

Thank you so much for the replies, I really appreciate it, gonna get the title transferred next weekend and see how it works out
tt99caden is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Tags
1978 mustang