Mustang Evolution Forum banner

04 GT hard start

4K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  DarkShadows 
#1 ·
Ive got a friends automatic 04 GT Ive been messing with for a long time. It has a hard start problem that happens everytime after filling up and the next few starts after that untill the fuel level is down some. Any thoughts on this? Things like tune up, fuel filter, pump, iac, etc can be rule out as they have been replaced. Ive heard on another board about the "horrible evap problem" but no one went into detail of what that problem is. I made note of what FTP and FTPv is while it was starting ok. I wonder if its a pressure sensor or something else down the line in the evap system, but, I also havent replaced the fuel cap. Thoughts?

#2 ·
one test to try would be to fill up and let it sit for a few minutes before cranking to see if it makes a difference. If it does it could be something as simple as trash getting stirred up in the tank and messing with the filter~ but I doubt that one. Is the fuel pressure good?

#3 ·
Ive got like 40-42 pounds at an idle, atleast when its not acting up. There shouldnt be anything in the tank, I steamed it out when I pulled it to put a new pump in, and I also replaced the filter then. Seems like nothing Ive done has even started to touch it.

#4 ·
there is a check valve that keeps pressure up or something in the line for starting~ I know when 03/04 cobra guys turn this off (it causes a hesitation in shifting at high rpms) it makes the car harder to start~ thats about the only other thing I know of that might cause the issue, its a switch or something on the pump that can be turned on/off

#7 ·
Well, I really dont think thats what the problem is since this isnt an intermittent problem. It will do it every time after filling and the next couple starts after that. Besides, the cobra fuel pump setups are different than the GTs arent they?

#9 ·
It cranks fast enough, but its an extended period of time. When it does start, sometimes it will die, but if you hit the key again, it will fire right up and be fine. If it does the extended crank and does start, it stumbles around quite a bit untill it gets itself going.

#14 ·
She always runs 87 octane from Quick Trip which as far as I know is ethenol free, although I think almost every gas company can put up to 10% in without labeling. As far as I know she fills it till it clicks and stops. Far as checking the canister for gas, its up under the right fender isnt it? If thats the case, whats the cause of it happening?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.