Filling up 2002 mustang gt - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-12-2019, 07:10 PM   #1

Filling up 2002 mustang gt

So im curious as to when you guys that have a new edge gt see when its time to fill up your tank. Would it be bad if I fill up when the gauge reads on or a tiny bit under the red line on the gas meter? I heard that running close to out of gas is bad on your fuel pump. I usually put a few miles on when the low fuel light comes on, and my gauge is usually on the red mark. How do I know if I have caused damage to my fuel pump or something else? I also have a 93 tune, cams, cai, throttle body, full exhaust
if that affects it. Thanks!
theelectricwafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2019, 05:32 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I put gas in when the gauge reads between 1/4 and E. I don't want to chance it.
jkeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:23 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
The fuel pump on these newer cars is internal to the gas tank, and electric. The makers of the cars use the fuel in the tank to cool the fuel pump and keep in from overheating, and most use a modicum of fuel still in the tank (even when your gas gauge reads empty) to make sure the pump does not overheat.......but why risk that at all? It costs nothing more to run off the top half of the tank than it does the bottom half.
You will also see that, if your tank capacity is rated at 16 gallons, you will never be able to put all 16 gallons in at the gas station (even if you run out of gas) because that is the safety margin of a couple of gallons still in the tank to cool your fuel pump...Depending on where you live, during really cold weather, you should not let your fuel tank get below half a tank due to condensation in the tank.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2019, 01:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
The fuel pump on these newer cars is internal to the gas tank, and electric. The makers of the cars use the fuel in the tank to cool the fuel pump and keep in from overheating, and most use a modicum of fuel still in the tank (even when your gas gauge reads empty) to make sure the pump does not overheat.......but why risk that at all? It costs nothing more to run off the top half of the tank than it does the bottom half.
You will also see that, if your tank capacity is rated at 16 gallons, you will never be able to put all 16 gallons in at the gas station (even if you run out of gas) because that is the safety margin of a couple of gallons still in the tank to cool your fuel pump...Depending on where you live, during really cold weather, you should not let your fuel tank get below half a tank due to condensation in the tank.
Thanks so much! So I think I get the gist of what you are saying, but if my car runs out of gas to the point where my engine can't run (which hasn't happened) there is still reserved fuel that is will not be used by the engine but to cool the pump?
Old 02-13-2019, 02:01 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by theelectricwafl View Post
Thanks so much! So I think I get the gist of what you are saying, but if my car runs out of gas to the point where my engine can't run (which hasn't happened) there is still reserved fuel that is will not be used by the engine but to cool the pump?
You are correct. There are many questions posted about “why can I only put 14 gallons in my 16 gallon gas tank, even though I ran 60 miles past the empty light?” Manufacturers have to keep some fuel around the fuel pump to continue to cool it.
But, I do have to say that doing the above and risking your fuel pump getting hot (even if not overheated) can’t be good for it in the long run.....and dropping the tank to get to the fuel pump to replace it = $$’s (plus the cost of a tow and vehicle rental while your car is in the shop for at least a couple of days)!! Save yourself the risk of this and fuel your car up at no less than a 1/4 of a tank......
Old 02-13-2019, 02:31 PM   #6

Quote:
You are correct. There are many questions posted about “why can I only put 14 gallons in my 16 gallon gas tank, even though I ran 60 miles past the empty light?” Manufacturers have to keep some fuel around the fuel pump to continue to cool it.
But, I do have to say that doing the above and risking your fuel pump getting hot (even if not overheated) can’t be good for it in the long run.....and dropping the tank to get to the fuel pump to replace it = $$’s (plus the cost of a tow and vehicle rental while your car is in the shop for at least a couple of days)!! Save yourself the risk of this and fuel your car up at no less than a 1/4 of a tank......
Ah ok. So if i have been filling up at the red line ever since about last September, how likely is it that there is damage to something? I know thats a weird question haha so if there is not enough info to answer that, I understand. Thank You!
Old 02-13-2019, 07:31 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Ah ok. So if i have been filling up at the red line ever since about last September, how likely is it that there is damage to something? I know thats a weird question haha so if there is not enough info to answer that, I understand. Thank You!
Either the fuel pump is working or it is not.....I think you are OK. If you’ve never completely run out of gas, there was a cushion for you in the tank, cooling the pump....
Old 02-14-2019, 12:21 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
If you are that worried about it stop running it down to empty. But... at 17 years old its gonna do what its gonna do...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:41 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
What damage could be done has already been done. Heed the advice given in the future an hope you did no lasting damage by running it to empty all the time. The pump (if original) is 15 years old. It could fail at any time for any reason
jkeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:47 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I have driven my 2002 Mustang GT down PAST the empty mark many, many times over the almost 3½ years I've owned it, with ZERO negative effects. I'm not saying it's a good idea, and I don't do it on purpose (sometimes I didn't have money to fill it up when I should've, or just wasn't close enough to a gas station), but it never has seemed to damage my fuel pump (never ran it completely out of fuel, though), despite it's age. I actually have a brand-new Walbro 255LPH fuel pump sitting at home (I bought it almost two years ago, because I had saved it to my Amazon wish-list and saw one day it had dropped in price to $60), but haven't ever yet installed it.

On a related note, the fuel pump on my '97 T-Bird 4.6 liter failed back in 2013, about a year after I moved to Phoenix (I've since moved back to Cleveland, OH). As I do now, I drove a tractor-trailer for a living and had no time/place to fix it (lived in an apartment). I had it towed to a Firestone dealer (BIG mistake!), and it cost me $700 to have them replace it (hence, the reason for the BIG mistake - price)!
dmw_4814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Either the fuel pump is working or it is not.....I think you are OK. If you’ve never completely run out of gas, there was a cushion for you in the tank, cooling the pump....
Gotcha, thanks a lot I appreciate it.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:43 PM   #12

Thanks a lot everyone. Appreciate it!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
2002 mustang