Carpet Replacement/Rivets - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-14-2019, 09:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Carpet Replacement/Rivets

My Kenwood stereo install turned into an additional install of a back up camera (because I rented a 2018 GT that had a back up camera, and thought, "Damn; I want one of those!"), which became a whole huge install project, because I'm really anal, LOL, and have half my interior torn apart (I'm very particular about routing my wiring, and making it all look like Ford installed it when the car was built, and also needed to mount a GPS antenna on the rear package tray, under the carpeting).

Well, to get to the point, I decided that this would be a good time to replace my floor carpeting, which wasn't in that great of shape when I bought the car, a little over three years ago. I actually found Ford OEM carpeting in my Dark Charcoal color, which has long since been obsolete, as NOS at Vintage Parts, in Wisconsin, and bought it several months ago. It was only roughly $75 more than what aftermarket carpet would've cost me, but I'm not going to have to go through the hassle of cutting out holes for the shifter; e-brake, etc, because naturally it's been manufactured with those cutouts already specific to my car.

Anyway, I ripped out half of my old carpeting today, and noticed that behind the e-brake control, there's a steel plate riveted to the transmission tunnel. At first, I thought it was part of the e-brake control, but then realized it's simply what the console mounts to (the screws at the bottom of the storage bin screw into this). The problem is, the factory carpeting passes UNDER this plate. Getting the old carpeting out was easy; I simply cut it with a razor tool, but naturally, I'm not too eager to cut up my new carpeting! I can, of course, drill the rivets out, remove the plate, then reinstall it after replacing my carpeting, but does it need to be riveted again, or can I use some self-tapping screws, instead? If I wanted or need to rivet it back in, where could I take it to get that done - a body shop? Riveting is something I've never had any experience doing! Thanks.

Sent from my Phone 2 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
dmw_4814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2019, 12:03 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Ford used rivets because it was quicker on the assembly line and screwing through carpet sometimes pulls threads. You don't need them, cut holes in the carpet, use screws and be careful.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:24 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
Just cut a hole and lay the carpet down. THe console will cover anything exposed, that is what I did with my aftermarket carpet. And damn do they have anymore carpets? Do they ship?
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2019, 07:04 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Just cut a hole and lay the carpet down. THe console will cover anything exposed, that is what I did with my aftermarket carpet. And damn do they have anymore carpets? Do they ship?
I don't want to have to cut any holes in my carpet; that's a primary reason I bought Ford OEM carpeting (that, and it's better quality, too). It's already got all the necessary cutouts in it.

I bought my carpeting from Vintage Parts, in Wisconsin. When I purchased it back in November, I think they had 18 of the Dark Charcoal in stock, still. My total cost was, I think, just over $300. It was roughly $75 more than what American Muscle and LMR would've charged me for aftermarket carpet, which of course would've required cutting holes for everything. And, yes, they ship.

You can contact your local Ford dealer, if you want OEM carpeting (or, anything else). When they do a locate for an obsolete/discontinued part, Vintage Parts shows inventory, if they have it, just like any Ford dealer would show up. Or, if you have a Ford part number, you can go to Vintage Parts' website & do a search for it. It'll show if they have it or not, and the cost, if they do.

There's another company, Green Sales Co, in Cincinnati, that also has some Ford obsolete parts (they will also show if a Ford dealer does a part locate). I bought my (4) new small Mach 460 speakers from them (I got all the big speakers from Vintage Parts).

Sent from my Phone 2 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
dmw_4814 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT