Mustang downshifting - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-09-2019, 10:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Mustang downshifting

Hey yall so in my 02 mustang gt I like to heel/toe downshift. I use half my foot on the brake and the other half to press the gas. Sometimes when i press the brake, I accidentally lightly touch or barely press the gas as the brake is being applied with the car still in gear. How bad is this? Does it put a lot of strain on my engine? Its usually light braking and very little force if none at all on the gas pedal.
theelectricwafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2019, 04:34 AM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
Unless you are actually corner carving what you are doing is kinda pointless. Shouldn't hurt anything but I'd stop.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:53 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Drive it normally if you are concerned.
jkeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2019, 06:05 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeaton View Post
Drive it normally if you are concerned.
So do you mean downshifting by just releasing clutch and nothing else? Thanks
Old 10-10-2019, 06:06 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Unless you are actually corner carving what you are doing is kinda pointless. Shouldn't hurt anything but I'd stop.
Thanks!
Old 10-10-2019, 06:07 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

All i can think of is it puts a lot of stress on engine because it’s such a small amount of gas and the engine can’t do anything haha.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:49 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
It's called "heel-to-toe braking".
A good skill to perfect if road-course driving is your thing.
The pedals in the GT aren't really set up that great for doing it though... They are too far apart.
Aside from prematurely wearing your brakes, it won't hurt anything if you are doing it incorrectly. Everyone has to learn somehow, and brakes are relatively inexpensive to replace.

Have fun and be safe!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:19 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
It's called "heel-to-toe braking".
A good skill to perfect if road-course driving is your thing.
The pedals in the GT aren't really set up that great for doing it though... They are too far apart.
Aside from prematurely wearing your brakes, it won't hurt anything if you are doing it incorrectly. Everyone has to learn somehow, and brakes are relatively inexpensive to replace.

Have fun and be safe!
[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/images/smilies/new/thumb.gif[/IMG]
Thanks! I have an aftermarket throttle plate that helps my foot get over and i think this contributes to it being easier to accidentally tap the gas. 😂 but my main concern is engine wear haha but sounds like it’s not a big deal. Thanks again
Old 10-10-2019, 01:35 PM   #9
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Downshifting a lot, like 5 to 4 to 3 to 2 etc at every intersection, curve in the road, etc all the time is mainly just wearing out your clutch and TOB faster IMO. If you're doing this only when you go up in the mountains, like tail of the dragon in TN or some other great curvy road, then it's for fun right. Straybullitt is correct, the newedge Mustang brake and gas pedal are in a horrible location for doing that, so you're working a lot harder for that fun lol. Typically, I'll downshift into 4th as I'm slowing down from highway speeds. That's about all I do.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:57 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 01 Bullitt that came from the factory with a pedal assembly spaced closer together to better facilitate heel-to-toe braking. I've used that method, but never became truly comfortable, so, as a result, I'm just as fast not using it. I drive the Mustang like it is a Miata, using a lot of momentum, braking mostly to counter the horrible understeer inherent with these cars, and bringing the power back in judiciously at the exit of the apex.

Most of the really fast, serious drivers are proficient at heel-to toe, though.

Enjoy!
Old 10-10-2019, 02:08 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_mach1 View Post
Downshifting a lot, like 5 to 4 to 3 to 2 etc at every intersection, curve in the road, etc all the time is mainly just wearing out your clutch and TOB faster IMO. If you're doing this only when you go up in the mountains, like tail of the dragon in TN or some other great curvy road, then it's for fun right. Straybullitt is correct, the newedge Mustang brake and gas pedal are in a horrible location for doing that, so you're working a lot harder for that fun lol. Typically, I'll downshift into 4th as I'm slowing down from highway speeds. That's about all I do.
I agree.
Not a big fan of downshifting unnecessarily.

I suppose that autocross taught me to just pick a gear and run the entire course in it.... I do the same thing on a mountain road, usually second gear, and run it to the rev-limiter!
Old 10-10-2019, 06:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I agree.

I suppose that autocross taught me to just pick a gear and run the entire course in it.... I do the same thing on a mountain road, usually second gear, and run it to the rev-limiter!
Thanks! Autocross is fun, love it.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:23 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have a 01 Bullitt that came from the factory with a pedal assembly spaced closer together to better facilitate heel-to-toe braking. I've used that method, but never became truly comfortable, so, as a result, I'm just as fast not using it. I drive the Mustang like it is a Miata, using a lot of momentum, braking mostly to counter the horrible understeer inherent with these cars, and bringing the power back in judiciously at the exit of the apex.

Enjoy!
\

Thank you!
Old 10-10-2019, 06:25 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Enjoy!
Interesting, thank you!
Old 10-10-2019, 06:27 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I could see that happening, yeah. Thanks, do most people just release the clutch with nothing else to downshift?
Old 10-10-2019, 07:10 PM   #16
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by theelectricwafl View Post
I could see that happening, yeah. Thanks, do most people just release the clutch with nothing else to downshift?

When I come up to a stop, I’ll keep it in 4th if I’m coming down from highway speeds (3rd if less than highway speeds) until I hit 1k RPM. Then I’ll just put it in neutral and let the pedal out. Most of my friends hold the clutch pedal in at stoplights etc. Not me, I leave it in neutral and get off the pedal.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:27 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
When I come up to a stop, I’ll keep it in 4th if I’m coming down from highway speeds (3rd if less than highway speeds) until I hit 1k RPM. Then I’ll just put it in neutral and let the pedal out. Most of my friends hold the clutch pedal in at stoplights etc. Not me, I leave it in neutral and get off the pedal.
I think thats a good way to go about driving and preserve parts, etc. Thank you! I think leaving it in neutral is smart as well, but do you find that it takes a long time (because of required effort) to put it into first? I do haha
Old 10-10-2019, 07:36 PM   #18
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by theelectricwafl View Post
I think thats a good way to go about driving and preserve parts, etc. Thank you! I think leaving it in neutral is smart as well, but do you find that it takes a long time (because of required effort) to put it into first? I do haha

Haha yeah I hate this TR3650 transmission. I usually have to slip it in this and the into first to get it to be easy. If that doesn’t work, I go into second then into first. It’s pretty damn silly lol.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:39 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Haha yeah I hate this TR3650 transmission. I usually have to slip it in this and the into first to get it to be easy. If that doesn’t work, I go into second then into first. It’s pretty damn silly lol.
Yeah, it takes quite a bit of effort for 1 to 2 and 4 to 5 for me.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:24 AM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
Quote:
I agree.

I do that a lot out here on a road that's about 3 miles long and like a traffic circle every half mile. Rev that thing in 2nd gear to 7k+ and scares the **** out of a lot of these Spanish drivers putting along on mopeds on the shoulder or in a little hatch in the right lane. Sometimes I shift to 3rd if I really get going, this car runs up to redline pretty damn quick even with the 3.27s, my tuner did a REAL good job with the remote tune.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:55 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I do that a lot out here on a road that's about 3 miles long and like a traffic circle every half mile. Rev that thing in 2nd gear to 7k+ and scares the **** out of a lot of these Spanish drivers putting along on mopeds on the shoulder or in a little hatch in the right lane. Sometimes I shift to 3rd if I really get going, this car runs up to redline pretty damn quick even with the 3.27s, my tuner did a REAL good job with the remote tune.
I've done it for a ten mile stretch.... Probably not the best thing for the engine; but it sure is a lot of fun!
The road is highway 29 over Mt. Saint Helena, sort of our version of the Tail of the Dragon around here. It is the main artery to get to the nearest large metropolitan area from the county that I live in, so it is a rare thing to make a pass without getting caught behind traffic at some point. It is a 2 lane road with 4 or 5 passing lanes scattered throughout.
Many people use it to commute to work, so there are a lot of people who fancy themselves as road racers.... And some of them are actually very good at driving that road. I've been in countless, full-on, impromptu road races with the locals.
As you can imagine, there have been a few close-calls. A while back, someone spun out about 20 feet in front of me while I was setting up to go around him in a corner. I made it around without any contact, but for the first time in my life, it made me think about the consequences of what I was doing. The best possible outcome of engaging in that activity, would be me wadding the car up in the trees.... And it only gets worse from there.
I decided that I have had my fun racing people on that road. Very few were able to get around me in my old F250, and the Mustang is undefeated (Probably never came across the right car and driver).... So I quit while I was ahead.
I'll still make a late night/early morning hot pass every once in a while, but I am too competitive to be going door-to-door with folks on the public roads.

Have fun, but please try to stay safe out there, my friend.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT