Richmond Gear 4.10 gears noisy - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-24-2018, 03:48 PM   #1

Region: Canada
Richmond Gear 4.10 gears noisy

My car is a 2007 V6 Auto 7.7" differential and I just had the diff replaced with a Yukon LSD with Richmond 4.10 gears. Even though the car has very low miles/kilometers (76k km), I had all the bearings and seals replaced also.

The gears were so noisy, the tech at the Ford dealership chose to re-do the installation to correct it. Despite this, the car still whines, esp on deceleration/ coasting. I can live with it, but just an FYI to anybody thinking of Richmond gears in the higher ratios; for what its worth, apparently they are designed to be strong vs quiet.
iain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2018, 03:28 PM   #2

Region: Pennsylvania
Richmond gears

I've used them a few times and especially with 410 gears which in the big world are not that steep. You can get some trucks now with them as stock gears. I would look at who set them up because they should not whine on decel.
Charger212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:41 PM   #3

Region: Canada
Believe me, I raised quite a stink! They did try to reinstall the gears to correct the noise, but while it was quite, they were unable to get it stock-quiet. I know that when you start needing to turn really tall tires that you need a lot of multiplication in the diff, but this is a small, small, girls car after all. ; )
iain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2018, 12:57 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
Why you always go FRPP with gears. Aftermarket gears are known to be noisy. If you want them quiet, get a set of FRPP 4.10s and install those. No idea why ppl go with aftermarket when FRPP goes up to like 4.56...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
The rear differential will and should NEVER EVER WHINE If the gears are installed properly and the correct lube is added. NO NOISE AT ALL EVER.
Tell him Scotty, Even a 456 ratio which I ran in my old Mustang was silent.
Some of the aftermarket gear sets just are not really made well and that is a problem because they will never mesh properly.
Stick with the Ford Racing products and no more noise.( IF INSTALLED PROPERLY)
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 03:56 PM   #6

Region: Massachusetts
Richmond Gear is one of the oldest and best manufactuers of rear end gears in the US. Ford Performance gears are made by US Gear as are Yukon Gears. Both of these manufactuers are long time US companies and make superior products.

I would say more than 90% of the noisey gear installs are because they weren't installed correctly. Once they start making noise you can't stop it and the gears get blamed.

Dave
dgc333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:24 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
100% agree with Scotty, My FRPP 4.10's have Never given me any problems at all. However, I did have a Performance Shop Install mine.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:06 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
The rear differential will and should NEVER EVER WHINE If the gears are installed properly and the correct lube is added. NO NOISE AT ALL EVER.
Tell him Scotty, Even a 456 ratio which I ran in my old Mustang was silent.
Some of the aftermarket gear sets just are not really made well and that is a problem because they will never mesh properly.
Stick with the Ford Racing products and no more noise.( IF INSTALLED PROPERLY)
Ronnie
This is true and I'd like to add if anyone goes to a mechanic who talks about "break in periods" for gears... run. There is no such thing, they'll either be silent and installed properly or they'll be installed not properly and at best just have a clunk or at worst they will whine. If they do, that's it, you need new gears and a new install kit. Reason for "break in periods" is to get you out of the shop thinking the install was done ok and by the time you come back they can figure out how to make it your fault.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang