Clogged Cats solution feedback? 05 v6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-08-2018, 10:06 PM   #1

Question Clogged Cats solution feedback? 05 v6

Hello, I am new to the "Mustang" world. I purchased a 05 Mustang back in February. Being a single mother, I figured I would start out small and buy a v6. I have done some minor modifications to the car to help keep it reliable and also help with the <look>aspect. About a month or so ago, I had this terrible rattling sound. I began to trouble shoot the issue and found it to be my cats. The acceleration had been very off , but it was not consistent. Soon after figuring out the issue, my car literally bogged out on me on my way to work about three weeks ago and has since been parked. With all this being said, I am no mechanic and have began to look into other options for fixing this issue.(Who has $2200 to fix those things??) I have researched and researched. Before this cat issue, I had bought a Pypes Mid-Muffler True Dual Exhaust kit for my car. It has been in the box for about two months now. Has anyone gone this route.... deleted cats, installed the new exhaust, and been happy with the out come? I read on how to bypass the O2 senors... I just am a little hesitant. I just need some honest feed back. I plan on keeping this car for the long haul.
Sixxerlegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2018, 10:46 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Well, removing the cats is not legal according to Federal law.....that said, many here do exactly that. I take it your state does not sniff the exhaust in order to renew your license plates like mine does. There is no way here to pass that test without working cats.
You will likely have to have your car tuned to ignore the O2 sensors, which will be reading the exhaust stream wrong downstream from where the cats used to be. Many also have a repeating check engine light which they need to erase with a OBD II reader.
There are no free lunches.
I know new cats are extremely expensive, but there is the possibility of picking up some used ones at a wrecking yard that might have many good years left in them.....
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:12 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
If your are in a state that does not have emission tests you could just delete them with an off-road pipe, but you would be polluting/ more harmful exhaust . Something I would have done when I was younger ,but not these days. The cheaper solution would be either regular aftermarket cats or high flow cats for performance. They are usually a lot cheaper than oem/ ford replacement cats.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Mhenry13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2018, 03:20 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Other thing to keep in mind is what caused them to go bad. If there is a misfire or bad injector, etc causing a rich condition causing the cats to overheat/ meltdown. Also excessive oil burning can cause this. Last thing you want to do is replace them to go bad soon again. Cats usual last a while.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:48 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
Deleting cats does zero environmentally, we put 4x as much Co2 into the atmosphere via livestock than we do from automobiles. That's just the USA.

Solution? Yeah replace the mid pipe with aftermarket but if you are not a mechanic and don't know any friends who will do it for you then you'll have to find a shop that will illegally install an offroad pipe for you. No cats=most every shop will refuse to do the work.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:50 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

No one mentioned global warming lol. We just talking about making exhaust gases a little less dangerous by converting carbon monoxide it to less harmful gases like co2 .

Old 09-09-2018, 03:16 PM   #7

Much respect everyone. Thanks for the opinions and advice. At the end of the day, I just want a dependable car to enjoy. As far as the enviroment, I was a Geology major and am aware of actual global warming and the contributions we *humans* do to speed it along. I have a friend willing to help me work on the car.(thankfully) My goal is to learn and help with any work I can concerning my car. I shall update when all issues have properly been replaced. Again, thank you everyone.
Sixxerlegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:11 PM   #8
REG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I'd replace them.
I had to replace one on my 13 GT, long story, it was 250 from ford parts giant.
I can't imagine they'd be more than that.
Your gonna have to get a tune and a tuner and the pipe, me thinks it 'll cost about the same.

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 PM ----------

I'd replace them.
I had to replace one on my 13 GT, long story, it was 250 from ford parts giant.
I can't imagine they'd be more than that.
Your gonna have to get a tune and a tuner and the pipe, me thinks it 'll cost about the same.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang