GT plenum/engine cover on my V6. Opinions? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-18-2019, 08:37 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
GT plenum/engine cover on my V6. Opinions?

Hey guys,
I'm new to the community here and wanted to share a project I just completed on my 2007 V6. I couldn't for the life of me find a plenum/engine cover to fit on a 4.0. I know years back there was a short run of them but haven't been available for a few years now. So I decided to attempt the same plenum idea using one from a GT. After completing it with some adjustments and dremel cuts here and there, I mounted it and not sure if it looks right or not. I'm open to opinions!

Best regards,
Mustangindy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang plenum 4-18-19.3.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	608.9 KB
ID:	258297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang plenum 4-18-19.1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	620.3 KB
ID:	258303  

Name:	Mustang plenum 4-18-19.2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	685.3 KB
ID:	258305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang plenum 4-18-19.4.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	697.2 KB
ID:	258307  

mustangindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2019, 01:12 PM   #2

Region: Illinois
Nice job. I like it. How did you attach it?
fiftyslost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 02:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Hey Fiftyslost,
Thanks for the compliment. I attached it by using the hole at the back end of the stock intake manifold that is used to hold the spark plug wire clip in place then I drilled a hole in the port that looks similar at the front of the intake manifold that is factory plugged, I first measured from the fire wall to the existing spark plug wire clip holder hole then from that hole to the first hole at the top of the intake. I then placed the plenum on top and measured from the fire wall to the first hole location and then to the front hole so I could mark the plenum properly before drilling the needed holes. I fastened the plenum using a "push in" type trim clip with the ridges on it then in the front I was going to do the same thing but found a metal wheel/knob that had the right diameter and depth screw attached to hold the plenum in place. I had to only dremel the right back mounting bracket because the coil pack was in the way. I then cut a bit off near the egr valve so it sat perfectly flat. The plenum sits a bit more to the drivers side but it was the bast way to have it line up better with the throttle body.
Best regards,
Mustang Indy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2019, 05:12 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Example of the plenum mounting locations on the V6

Below, I found a pic on-line of a 05-09 V6 plenum and circled the areas I used to mount the GT plenum ON MY v6. Hope this helps.The hole location on the right is the factory hole used to hold the spark plug wire clip, the hole on the left is plugged and would have to be drilled but not too deep. I placed a drill bit down the factory hole and marked the depth with a marker then drilled the plugged hole until the bit with the marker line was flush with the top of the hole.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	05-09 mustang v6 plenum ports.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	690.1 KB
ID:	258313  
Old 04-19-2019, 07:49 PM   #5

Thanks for the information mustangindy. That clears up all the questions I was having. I'm bidding on a cover now on Ebay. Thanks again.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

You got it. If you have anymore questions once you get it, please reach out.
Best regards,
Old 04-20-2019, 09:37 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I've seen many people attempt this with so so results but if you take your time and get the plenum in the right position, it actually comes out pretty good. Yes there are four ports on the sides instead of three but unless you examine it closely, you really can't tell. I think it helps improve the look in my opinion, especially with the lack of 4.0 plenums out there to buy.

Best regards,
Mustangindy
Old 04-20-2019, 09:56 AM   #8

Hi mustangindy. I lost out on Ebay but bought one from CJPony for $84 delivered with promo code. Debating on the throttle body extension. Do you think it would fit? Thanks.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Hey Fiftyslost,
I think the throttle body extension would work fine. You may just have to shave off a bit where the cover meets the top of the throttle but not 100% sure. It may just fit fine with minimal if any modifications.
P.s. $84.00 is a good price for that cover.

Best regards,
Mustang Indy
Old 04-20-2019, 01:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I think it looks good! I wouldn’t use so many badges but that’s me. Nice job 👍
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP Elbow, 82mm, JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs+Relos, Diff Bushing, Ford Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncro II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, High Flow GT Grill Insert, Steeda Spyder Wheels (20X9.5/11), 275 fronts, 315 rears, Lakewood drag shocks, Cervini Hood, big smile
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 02:46 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beviking View Post
I think it looks good! I wouldn’t use so many badges but that’s me. Nice job 👍
Thanks for the compliment! True and funny you should mention it... I actually removed the tri-bar pony from the strut tower brace earlier today and it helped to tone it down a bit.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:15 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

It’s easy to get caught up with all the decorations b/c they all look so good! Of course it’s all a matter of taste but too much can be distracting.
Stripes are another decoration that Ppl can go overboard with. I go back n forth with the c stripe on mine. When that was the only black on the car, it wasn’t a question of too much but now I have the hood, roof, deck lid, spoiler, rear panel and wheels blacked out. I still like it but some might think it’s too much. Not their car so too bad lol!
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP Elbow, 82mm, JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs+Relos, Diff Bushing, Ford Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncro II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, High Flow GT Grill Insert, Steeda Spyder Wheels (20X9.5/11), 275 fronts, 315 rears, Lakewood drag shocks, Cervini Hood, big smile
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:46 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beviking View Post
It’s easy to get caught up with all the decorations b/c they all look so good! Of course it’s all a matter of taste but too much can be distracting.
Stripes are another decoration that Ppl can go overboard with. I go back n forth with the c stripe on mine. When that was the only black on the car, it wasn’t a question of too much but now I have the hood, roof, deck lid, spoiler, rear panel and wheels blacked out. I still like it but some might think it’s too much. Not their car so too bad lol!
I hear you! If I were to attach every single decal, badge and strip I have, you wouldn't be able to tell there's a car underneath! lol! With so so many choices and cool looking items out there it is easy to go overboard. I did however slow down on the exterior (I think) with the exception of new eleanor style window scoops and lower scoops not pictured here yet.
Best regards,
MustangIndy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mustang.2.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	258317  
Old 04-21-2019, 10:31 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Nice work on the whole engine bay "indy". The originality of little touches is what makes something unique from just a bolt on car.
oxfordwhite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:38 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordwhite View Post
Nice work on the whole engine bay "indy". The originality of little touches is what makes something unique from just a bolt on car.
Hey, Thanks! Yes...I try to keep it looking somewhat decent. The motor just hit 206,000 miles this week so for the last 12 years I've tried to keep her looking young.

P.s. Not only bolt on's but a few internal mods as well.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:57 PM   #16

I don't understand plastic covers on engines. I like to see the hard parts that do the work.
That said, your engine bay looks very tidy - I don't see anything looking out of place, so your install seems to be successful!

Alex
Alxndr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:55 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alxndr13 View Post
I don't understand plastic covers on engines. I like to see the hard parts that do the work.
That said, your engine bay looks very tidy - I don't see anything looking out of place, so your install seems to be successful!

Alex
Hi Alxndr13, I hear you ! I just thought the stock intake manifold lacked styling and For many years I looked at it and disliked the look. Finally I decided to try and change it but couldn't find the 4.0 plenum covers anywhere, so I decided to use the GT 4.6 cover instead and was hoping it wouldn't look so bad.

Best regards,
Mustang Indy
Old 04-26-2019, 06:04 AM   #18

Intake cover

Hi indy. Got my cover yesterday and installed it. Went without a hitch thanks to your help. I don't think I would have thought of the method you used. It worked well.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:41 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiftyslost View Post
Hi indy. Got my cover yesterday and installed it. Went without a hitch thanks to your help. I don't think I would have thought of the method you used. It worked well.
Hey Fiftyslost,
Yes! I'm glad you did it!... congrats brother. Happy to hear it went well. Post a pic if you can...love to see it.

Best regards,
Mustang Indy
Old 04-26-2019, 08:47 AM   #20

Region: Canada
Hi Mustang Indu. Great job and looks super! Installed cover on my '12 V6 3.7 and it résolu dresses up the engine bay. Other thing I found to complete the look is the cover set over the battery and brake fluid tank. Cheers!
Musty 53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:05 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musty 53 View Post
Hi Mustang Indu. Great job and looks super! Installed cover on my '12 V6 3.7 and it résolu dresses up the engine bay. Other thing I found to complete the look is the cover set over the battery and brake fluid tank. Cheers!
Hey Musty 53,
Thanks for the compliment! Yes...covers for the Battery and brake fluid reservoir are excellent ideas!

Best regards,
Mustang Indy
Old 04-27-2019, 09:41 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Plastic covers are a cheap and easy way for the factory to hide all the modern ugly stuff needed to run an engine of today's technology. Not like the simple old engines of yesteryear.
oxfordwhite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 05:13 AM   #23

Intake cover

Name:	DSC00389.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	403.8 KB
ID:	258327 Hi indy. Going to make a cap for the front. My engine bay is nowhere as clean as your's but I'm working on it. Thanks for the help in how to post pictures. At 77 years of age this tech stuff is confusing.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:04 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiftyslost View Post
Attachment 258327 Hi indy. Going to make a cap for the front. My engine bay is nowhere as clean as your's but I'm working on it. Thanks for the help in how to post pictures. At 77 years of age this tech stuff is confusing.
Hey Fiftyslost,
You did it and It looks great! You even got yours to sit more centered than I did. Your engine bay looks really good as well. No problem with helping out with loading pictures up. It took me several attempts to get it right.
Best regards,
Mustang Indy

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang