Raxiom retro headlights look cool but lack lighting. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-13-2019, 04:38 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Raxiom retro headlights look cool but lack lighting.

Hey,
Just a heads up! I recently installed these Raxiom retro style headlights and they look awesome but be aware that the headlight illumination is terrible. I tried to aim them at a height of 4 feet up from the ground and approx. 25 feet from a wall then went for a ride at night and blah! I could barely see 6 feet ahead of me. When you hit the high beams one light illuminated the ground directly low just past the front of the car and the other lit the top of the trees! I had to readjust them all the way down until they couldn't adjust any further and also ended up replacing the raxiom bulbs that came with the headlights, with my standard bulbs and illumination was now much better but still has this strange beam. The beams almost look as if there are streaks in them. Weird but much better now than they were when first installed. Just a friendly heads up in case you ever decide to invest in these retro headlight buckets. The look is hands down amazing but night time driving may take a little getting used to,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mustang retro light install.1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	258367   Click image for larger version

Name:	mustang retro light install.2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	258369  

Name:	mustang retro light install.3.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	258371  
mustangindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2019, 06:54 AM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
Did you use your own bulbs or ones they included? I can't imagine the ones they included would be any good. Raxiom, as a product line in general, is complete dog**** as far as quality and functionality.

However these would be a good candidate to take apart and retrofit for actual HIDs... If they actually fit ok. They do look good.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:30 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Did you use your own bulbs or ones they included? I can't imagine the ones they included would be any good. Raxiom, as a product line in general, is complete dog**** as far as quality and functionality.

However these would be a good candidate to take apart and retrofit for actual HIDs... If they actually fit ok. They do look good.
Hey scottydsntknow,
Thanks for the compliment. Yes...I originally tried using the supplied raxiom lights when first installed, I stood in front of the car with the lights on and thought "Wow! these are bright!" until I drove at night and could barely see past 6 feet or so. But when I adjusted the screw to have the lights aim down as far as they could go along with installing my sylvania bulbs, they were much better. The strange part seems to also be the mirrored reflective dish in the headlight housing itself. The light beams look spotty/streaky as if they were shinning light through water. These retro lights also appear to only have an up and down adjustment, no side to side which I think would've help with the aiming process etc...

Best regards,
Mustang Indy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mustang retro light installed.1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	533.0 KB
ID:	258373  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2019, 10:12 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
For me, I would not consider even trying to drive at night with less than stellar headlight illumination. Too many deer and wild turkeys (they are BIG!) here to consider not being able to see them at the maximum range possible.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:00 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
For me, I would not consider even trying to drive at night with less than stellar headlight illumination. Too many deer and wild turkeys (they are BIG!) here to consider not being able to see them at the maximum range possible.
I hear you. They are much better now then when I first installed them. Especially using the sylvania bulbs in place of the raxiom one's. Also surprised that these even passed D.O.T. requirements considering their questionable beam path.

Best regards,
Mustang Indy
Old 05-15-2019, 05:29 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Not surprising to hear about issues with Raxiom products. I am presently dealing with story tellers at American Muscle with Vector 2 tail lights I ordered. Soon after ordering I got an email from UPS claiming tail lights were missing from shipping box. I called AM, told them UPS states the tail lights missing, they issued an RMA, then tell me to disregard RMA and they'll ship out another set of tail lights. I wait a few days, no new shipment. I contact them again, they state there are a batch of bad tail lights, they'll issue refund. Later that same day, send me email stating I need to return the tail lights I never received! I just got off the phone with these nitwits, they tell me I must not have told the first service rep the original tail lights were missing from package (lie). And then he states they will contact UPS and investigate the missing tail lights prior to issuing refund. I doubt the veracity of this statement, as UPS has stated any number of times they automatically contact shipper about damaged or missing shipments ( UPS cannot be counted on here either). And so, I'm done with Raxiom products and AM for good. I can accept delays in ordering various products, I don't accept differing stories, aka lies. I'm now going on three weeks trying to resolve this, I suspect I'm in for more nonsense.
2011 Gt Premium Convertible, manual, Navigation, OEM 13-14 GT500 wheels,Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, JLT oil seperator, MGW Race Spec-2016 revision, Steeda ABS Composite front splitter, Big Worm Graphix Super Snake stripe matte black, Steeda Convertible Sport Springs, Koni STR. T struts and shocks, GT500 strut mount, BMR adjustable panhard and support bar, Ford Racing tune, jounce bumper kit, Roush lower control arms, BMR lower control arm relocation brackets, Kooks axle back exhaust, Raxiom Aero rear tail lights
sns109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:00 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns109 View Post
Not surprising to hear about issues with Raxiom products. I am presently dealing with story tellers at American Muscle with Vector 2 tail lights I ordered. Soon after ordering I got an email from UPS claiming tail lights were missing from shipping box. I called AM, told them UPS states the tail lights missing, they issued an RMA, then tell me to disregard RMA and they'll ship out another set of tail lights. I wait a few days, no new shipment. I contact them again, they state there are a batch of bad tail lights, they'll issue refund. Later that same day, send me email stating I need to return the tail lights I never received! I just got off the phone with these nitwits, they tell me I must not have told the first service rep the original tail lights were missing from package (lie). And then he states they will contact UPS and investigate the missing tail lights prior to issuing refund. I doubt the veracity of this statement, as UPS has stated any number of times they automatically contact shipper about damaged or missing shipments ( UPS cannot be counted on here either). And so, I'm done with Raxiom products and AM for good. I can accept delays in ordering various products, I don't accept differing stories, aka lies. I'm now going on three weeks trying to resolve this, I suspect I'm in for more nonsense.

Hey,
So sorry to hear you went through that with American muscle and Raxiom products. I too have had some recent issues with them as well. Their customer and product reviews are misleading and when you finally get the product, you're kinda satisfied. It seem's the quality of a lot of american muscle's products are questionable and in most cases over priced. Customer service seems to be on point in my experience but product quality is lacking.Hope it all works out for you.
Best regards,
Mustang Indy
Old 05-16-2019, 07:34 PM   #8

Those headlights have strata-style reflectors. You actually have to orient them for the light to go where you want. Look up instructions for old, large, closed-beam headlamps.

Good luck,

Alex
Alxndr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alxndr13 View Post
Those headlights have strata-style reflectors. You actually have to orient them for the light to go where you want. Look up instructions for old, large, closed-beam headlamps.

Good luck,

Alex
Hi Alex,
Thanks for the info. I tried looking up that info but I don't think it will apply to these lights as they are retro style but not actual retro lights. They accept new style plug in bulbs not like the old style that was the entire headlight glass that you could adjust up, down and side to side when you mounted them into the housing. These only have an up and down adjustment and the whole headlight bucket mounts in one way with no other adjustments etc...

Best regards,
Mustang Indy
Old 05-18-2019, 08:31 AM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
Like I said, bake them open and retrofit them for projectors. Otherwise if you can't get a good view at night I'd put OEM ones back in...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang