Hard Acceleration problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-25-2019, 05:14 PM   #1

Hard Acceleration problems

2009 4.0l, 245k miles. Only 'mods' is a throttle body spacer and screaming demon coilpack. The car has been for the last few weeks being sluggish on the higher end rpm. When the car gets around 3-4k rpm in all gears it acts like the governor is kicking in not letting go higher wether soft or hard on the pedal. I have recently (in the last 2 week&#115 replaced the water pump.
In the last 3 days I've replaced bank 1 sensor 1 02 sensor (car was getting P0420 for several months but acted normal) as well as fuel filter. However, car is still having same Acceleration issues in all gears.
Phyiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2019, 07:11 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Have you checked to be certain that the p0420 code is gone?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:22 PM   #3

Yes the 0420 is gone. But something is still governorning the power past 3.5k rpm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2019, 10:16 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry for the late response. This website doesn't regularly provide me with e-mail notifications any longer.

I would begin the diagnosis process by doing a fuel pressure test to try to narrow down the possible causes, in the absence of any diagnostic trouble codes.
Also, if you haven't already done so, pull out the spark plugs and make sure that they all look normal and are in good condition.
And you might clean the Mass Airflow sensor and the throttle body if it hasn't been done.
Basically, start doing an old fashion diagnosis, checking all of the tune up items, inspecting for vacuum leaks, etc.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:11 AM   #5

I also forgot to update, P0420 came back 2 days ago, still reading sensor 1 bank 1. At this point I'm leaning towards catalytic converter
Old 07-02-2019, 08:27 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

That would be the most likely suspect at this point.
I had one break apart on the inside a while back. That was easily diagnosed by the horrible rattling and banging sound it was making at idle.

Well, good luck!
Post an update if you get a chance.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang