Cold Air Intake-V6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-28-2018, 11:12 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Cold Air Intake-V6

Hi all, what are the thoughts on installing a Cold Air Intake on a 2012 V6? Is the JLT Performance Cold Air Intake from American Muscle good? What difference between dry and oiled?
Rickster1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2018, 01:35 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
A cold air intake will do nothing but add looks and possibly sound. Oiled filters require periodic cleaning and re-oiling. Paper filters just get replaced.
jkeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:29 PM   #3
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
worth it for sound and looks if you get it used.

Mud
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2018, 04:16 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Mine increased inlet air temperature significantly at low speed in traffic.
Sold it (@loss).
Now have Modular Intake Tube with drop in AFE filter.

As others say, if you really want one, look for a used one. They are out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

CS Upper/Lower Grill | GT Mufflers | JLT Catch Can | PP Engine Cover | Steeda PH Brace | JDM Adj PH bar | AMR 18x9 Dark Stainless -Cont Contact Sport 235-55x18 | Roush Vent Pod/Oil Pressure Gauge | Airaid MIT - aFe Pro S |MMD Hood Struts | Steeda Jacking Rails | Prev Maint Rear Axle Vent tube, Radiator degass tube
Shadetree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree43 View Post
Mine increased inlet air temperature significantly at low speed in traffic.
Sold it (@loss).
Now have Modular Intake Tube with drop in AFE filter.

As others say, if you really want one, look for a used one. They are out there.

Exactly what I have. Airaid modular intake tube and AFE ProDry filter.

GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:11 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I would just use the money and buy a K&N high flow air filter. The 3.7 motor intake was designed to be a cold air intake. If you had a 4.0 I would recommend a CAI, but the 3.7 doesn't need it. If you look at Ford Racings website, they only sell high flow air filters for the 3.7.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Mustang Evolution mobile app
JokerS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:20 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerS197 View Post
Yeah I would just use the money and buy a K&N high flow air filter. The 3.7 motor intake was designed to be a cold air intake. If you had a 4.0 I would recommend a CAI, but the 3.7 doesn't need it. If you look at Ford Racings website, they only sell high flow air filters for the 3.7.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I would use that same money to buy beer. "high flow" filters literally do nothing. The paper filter actually filters better.

To the OP, cold air intakes are a waste of money.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickster1951 View Post
Hi all, what are the thoughts on installing a Cold Air Intake on a 2012 V6? Is the JLT Performance Cold Air Intake from American Muscle good? What difference between dry and oiled?
I go one two months ago increased sound see no difference in gas milage and inlet air temp is up about 20 degrees and I have a ram air hood
Logan541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:12 PM   #9

A long time ago on allfordmustangs.com I posted how to actually make a cold air intake a cold air intake. https://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...t-hot-air.html

That intake is now for sale and a damn good deal: https://www.ebay.com/itm/202462974332?ul_noapp=true

I don't know why someone wouldn't jump on that. The thing sounded awesome and the car was a rocket ship.
740weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:50 PM   #10

A long time ago I figured out what's "wrong" with cold air intakes and how to fix it. basically there is a huge gap between the hood and the radiator cover that no one blocks. Picture hopefully attached.

My airaid intake is now for sale for $130 plus shipping. I don't know why someone wouldn't buy it at that price. It sounded great. PM me if interested.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:41 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740weapon View Post
A long time ago I figured out what's "wrong" with cold air intakes and how to fix it. basically there is a huge gap between the hood and the radiator cover that no one blocks. Picture hopefully attached.

My airaid intake is now for sale for $130 plus shipping. I don't know why someone wouldn't buy it at that price. It sounded great. PM me if interested.
No picture
Old 10-09-2018, 06:42 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Picture was not attached
Old 10-09-2018, 06:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan541 View Post
Picture was not attached
The images are hiding in this gallery:

airaid Photo Gallery by 740weapon at pbase.com

I don't know how to attach images to this forum and I haven't paid pbase for hosting in a while.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:53 PM   #14

Region: Virginia
oiled last longer then dry
knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:16 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight View Post
And cost 3x as much and don't filter as well.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight View Post
Ok well my dry filter was used 100k miles, cleans up perfectly, and was sold to the next guy good as new.

How long do you want a filter to last? million miles?
Old 10-16-2018, 08:06 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
On my 2014 3.7 I decided to keep the factory air box, I just put a K&N box filter in the factory air box and I bought an AirAid intake tube. I got the intake tube to clean things up under the hood and get rid of the factory weird looking air tube.

I would highly recommend an oil catch can too if you don't have one. Sounds like you are interested in upgrades, so that's why I brought up the catch can. I have a JLT 3.0 version and in between oil changes, I dispose 4-6 table spoons of oil.

---------- Post added at 09:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 AM ----------

On my 2014 3.7 I decided to keep the factory air box, I just put a K&N box filter in the factory air box and I bought an AirAid intake tube. I got the intake tube to clean things up under the hood and get rid of the factory weird looking air tube.

I would highly recommend an oil catch can too if you don't have one. Sounds like you are interested in upgrades, so that's why I brought up the catch can. I have a JLT 3.0 version and in between oil changes, I dispose 4-6 table spoons of oil.
CycloneS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:18 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
https://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f356/t373422/

This has some good info.
TCU-6612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:53 AM   #19

Cold air intakes are a joke if they are drawing air from anywhere under the hood of the car. There is no significant difference in temperature under the hood. This might be different if it were plumbed into the cowl or under the fender, etc...but that big heat exchanger at the front of the engine called a radiator(with its smaller brother the AC condenser) guarantee no real difference anywhere under the hood regardless of the filter used. The exhaust manifolds also dont help matters any. The engine bay in any car is heat soaked to start with.
wicked93gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:07 AM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

^This, and we've posted it so many times on this forum and I'd say about half the time the person never responds or responds negatively. People seem to prefer to just remain ignorant than admit a mistake and put the stock airbox back on. Not to mention so many of these intakes are metal vs the plastic stock one so that'll increase air charge temps just by itself.

Old 11-01-2018, 02:14 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
^This, and we've posted it so many times on this forum and I'd say about half the time the person never responds or responds negatively. People seem to prefer to just remain ignorant than admit a mistake and put the stock airbox back on. Not to mention so many of these intakes are metal vs the plastic stock one so that'll increase air charge temps just by itself.
That’s why I posted the link I did. It shows that you only gain a little airflow with a CAI but only closer to redline. But you also raise the intake temp so that kinda negates the gain. I’m keeping the stock box and adding a Airaid Moduler Air Intake Tube and a better filter. I might see if there is a way to make the stock intake more ram air.

On my Audi TT I had two vacuum hoses hooked up to the lower side grille and up to a custom intake and the hoses actually created positive pressure in the intake starting at 40mph (It was tested with equipment).
C/S Spoiler, JLT Catch Can, Airaid Modular Intake Tube w/ Ford emblem, AFE Pro-Dry Air Filter, Polyurethane Swaybar Bushings front and rear, LED Interior lights, LED License Plate bulbs, LED Reverse Lights
Old 11-02-2018, 05:34 AM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

I wouldn't even mess with it. Not needed.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:41 AM   #23

I think a cold air intake done right can be effective...but I dont think you can buy an effective one currently...you have to make your own following a few rules:

1. Don't use metal for the air intake tube, metals in general retain heat too well to help in this capacity.
2. Located the filter outside of the engine bay...either under the fender, in the cowl, or in front of the radiator will work...there are downsides to locating the filter in these places, but those are your options for cooler air.
3. Ideally you would duct air to the filter for a ram-air type of effect...but this will be difficult to accomplish in an effective manner

Even under ideal circumstances I wouldn't expect a gain of more than a few HP though...ducting, relocating the filter and making fiberglass or carbon fiber intake tubes is more effort than the 8HP or so it would be worth, but if you have the time and materials might as well I guess.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:41 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

What I was thinking was putting a/c ducting elbows, PVC elbows or an airplane intake hose behind the main grille. This should pressurize the air box and keep the heat coming off the radiator out. I might be over thinking this but I like thinking of things like this.

On another note will an air filter for a GT stock air box fit a V6? I found an AFE inverted cone filter with 20% off but they don't have one for a V6. I was just wondering if the GT would fit?
Old 11-03-2018, 05:32 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCU-6612 View Post
What I was thinking was putting a/c ducting elbows, PVC elbows or an airplane intake hose behind the main grille. This should pressurize the air box and keep the heat coming off the radiator out. I might be over thinking this but I like thinking of things like this.

On another note will an air filter for a GT stock air box fit a V6? I found an AFE inverted cone filter with 20% off but they don't have one for a V6. I was just wondering if the GT would fit?
Stock panel air filter for the GT and V6 are the same and both are CAI from the factory
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, 14" Brembo Front Brakes, 13.8 GT500 Rear W/O Backing plates.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:18 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Express View Post
Quote:

Stock panel air filter for the GT and V6 are the same and both are CAI from the factory [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/images/smilies/new/whistling.gif[/IMG]
Ok, thanks! I thought the bottoms of the boxes were the same, I just wanted to check.

I know the factory intake is a “true” cold air intake. Not like the hot intakes they sell and slap “cold” in place of the “hot”. Those intakes only really work on turbo cars with either big or oversized intercoolers.
C/S Spoiler, JLT Catch Can, Airaid Modular Intake Tube w/ Ford emblem, AFE Pro-Dry Air Filter, Polyurethane Swaybar Bushings front and rear, LED Interior lights, LED License Plate bulbs, LED Reverse Lights
Old 11-06-2018, 11:03 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

While you guys are correct that the intake will raise inlet temps, I cant let the blanket statement stand that that is inherently worse. Mass flow matters, and yes, cold air is more dense, BUT if you're registering higher mass flow at the MAF, regardless of temperature, more is more.

This was so long ago there's probably very few left who actually remember it, but Sakib and I saw this in our testing. We did record higher inlet temps, but we also recorded higher mass flow, which meant despite the increase in temps, the engine was still receiving more air.

Now, all that being said, on an otherwise stock vehicle we saw little to no performance improvement. Read for yourselves if you'd like.

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

While you guys are correct that the intake will raise inlet temps, I cant let the blanket statement stand that that is inherently worse. Mass flow matters, and yes, cold air is more dense, BUT if you're registering higher mass flow at the MAF, regardless of temperature, more is more.

This was so long ago there's probably very few left who actually remember it, but Sakib and I saw this in our testing. We did record higher inlet temps, but we also recorded higher mass flow, which meant despite the increase in temps, the engine was still receiving more air.

Now, all that being said, on an otherwise stock vehicle we saw little to no performance improvement. Read for yourselves if you'd like.

Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:07 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

While "more is more" is technically correct...it doesn't tell the whole story. Cold air is denser than hot air...this is why 20psi on a T28 turbo will make less power than 20PSI on a T70 with all else being equal...at that T28 is just blowing hot air while the T70 is just hitting its stride...so more may be more...but not all more is created equal
Old 11-06-2018, 11:16 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

... That's not how mass works, more is more. Your comparison about turbo sizes is incorrect because boost is simply a measurement of restriction, and a larger compressor has less restriction, so more air (mass) is flowing before the same boost level is reached. Yes, a larger compressor is more efficient at the same boost level and will run cooler, but that's not an accurate analogy to make for the scope of this discussion.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:12 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post

What’s the difference between the link you posted and the one I posted on #18? Lol

What I’ve learned is for every 10 degrees over ambient temp you decrease hp by 1%. So you might be pulling in more air with a CAI but only at very high rpm’s and it’s hotter air so your losing the hp you gain from the increase.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:03 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What’s the difference between the link you posted and the one I posted on #18? Lol

What I’ve learned is for every 10 degrees over ambient temp you decrease hp by 1%. So you might be pulling in more air with a CAI but only at very high rpm’s and it’s hotter air so your losing the hp you gain from the increase.
The difference is apparently I don't pay attention.

That's also one of those "ricer math" kind of things. This is why MAF flow is more important than temp. If the reading at the MAF goes up, regardless of temp, you are making more power.

A larger mass of hot air is still more air than a smaller mass of cold air.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:38 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Ricer math? Is an Audi TT a ricer or a Corvette a ricer? I learned the "ricer math" on my Audi forum from people who tested it. I also double checked it on a Corvette forum before I posted. My Audi has a MAF. I have a boost controller on it and have to turn it down during the winter months or I over boost.

If someone thinks they get more power from a CAI then go ahead, it's their car.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:26 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

It's a term, you can choose to get offended by it if you wish. The problem with "ricer math" is that yes, there is typically some truth there, like losing 100 lbs is the same as picking up a tenth in the 1/4. The problem is, in the real world, there are so many variables that very, very, rarely is it that cut and dry.

MAF flow however is cut and dry. The motor has a fixed volume, and the MAF sensor housing has a fixed diameter. A higher MAF reading = more air, plain and simple, regardless of temperature.

Again, I explained earlier that intakes provide no gains *on an otherwise stock 3.7. My problem is people being narrow minded and only focusing on temperature, when that is not the end all / be all.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:15 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

It's not the end all / be all, but it should be considered. Some of the CAI's don't even have the intake duct from the grille in their blocked off area. Also most are not fully sealed.

I've been googling intakes and saw an interesting one where someone retrofitted a cone filter IN the stock air box. I would love to see the testing of that mod. Cone filters usually flow more than panel filters because they use all the intake hose when going in. Panel filters pull from down, not all around. That is where I believe your increase is coming from.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:36 PM   #35

Temperature is important, but the differences are going to be fairly insignificant anywhere under the hood regardless of ducting and enclosure. I mean, in the end the amount actual power gained from any of these intakes isnt worth the money spent...a $200+ intake system? At that point you are a 3rd of the way to some longtube headers, or a 20th of the way to a turbo system, etc. Worth it if you are going to fabricate it yourself and material investment isnt too steep, but certainly not anything that is going to show an appreciable difference in every day driving(except maybe in sound)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cold air intake