Pully or belt squeak? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-05-2019, 12:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Pully or belt squeak?

Hey guys, so I've developed a squeak under the hood that I can't tell if it's the belt or a pulley. It squeaks faster as RPMS go up, and typically on squeaks when it's damp (rain, humidity, sometimes bitter cold)

Stang has 27,700 miles on it, it's a 2014 (manufactered in 2013 though) and the belt is the original stock belt, I've never changed it yet. The belt itself didn't have any cracks or anything from what I saw looking at it. Any thoughts?
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2019, 12:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
You could try squirting water or WD40 on the tensioner pulley bearing and the water pump bearing and see if the squeaking stops. Tensioned belts rarely squeak in my experience
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:43 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Whatever you do, DON’T get any kind of lube on the contact surface of the belt itself. That will make the problem a lot worse. You can certainly try to spray on the bearings of the tensioner......but my bet is one of your pulleys is out of alignment just enough for the edge of the belt to rub “just” enough to squeak at that point.......or the tensioner may be failing to hold the belt tight enough.....
My 1997 Cobra did the same thing at idle when cold, and it got worse with the AC on....have you tried turning on and off the AC to see if that affects the noise?
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2019, 04:05 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
My guess is for the Tensioner being bad, around $90.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:54 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
First thing to do is have someone start the car first thing in the morning when you say it is worse.
You just have the hood open and have your friend raise the rpm.
It should be obvious if it is the belt or pulley.
Squirting any oil around under the hood has never been a very good thing to do on any car.

Voltwings here on the forum can probably give you better information.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 04:14 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

cool, thanks guys. I'll have to look into which it could be.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Diode Dynamics LED's
Old 01-06-2019, 04:36 PM   #7
RBK
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Probably the tensioner pulley, if it was the water pump you would probably be dripping water.
RBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:17 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
My 2cents- DO NOT SPRAY WD40 on or around belt. Water OK. If it was safe to do,but it's not, take a bar of soap and hold it on the belt with the engine running and if the noise goes away the belt is old and dry and should be changed. Your car has very low miles so it is hard to believe it is squeaking I know. I changed our belt and tensioner when I did the 75,000 mile service on our 14. Simply because of the mileage and age. I'm a huge preventive maintenance nut. The belt looked fine and the bearing on the tensioner felt fine but now I know it is less likely to fail or have problems. Parts are cheap and it is a easy job. Good luck Jay.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:07 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I periodically have the same issue with my 2013 V6 Coupe and was told by a local repair shop that it was the belt. They recommended spraying the belt and such noise goes away for a while.
rgwest61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:17 AM   #10
RBK
Registered Member
Regular

I suggest you watch this video on YouTube before you do anything.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:24 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Cool video, This guy cracks me up. I've watched him before on other things. Just change the belt and or the tensioner or better yet both.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:26 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I gt to meet Scotty a couple years ago. The guy is a hoot!
jkeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:41 AM   #13
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
you can try isolating sound using a 2-3' length of hose as a stethoscope or just guess and replace belt.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:14 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
RBK,

Thanks for this video link. Hopefully I have not cause any greater issues to my ride using the suggested belt conditioner. I have only applied it once and will not do such again after watching this video.
rgwest61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:16 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

haha great video, i love scotty's stuff. he's funny.
so today i noticed it's just doing it at idle. small little squeak that's a bit different from the other day. now the trick is to figure out which it is, so i guess i'll do the wd40 trick to see if it's the tensioners or not.

also whats the diff between tensioner and pulley?
Old 01-07-2019, 02:51 PM   #16
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
pulley is just what is says, the tensioner is the spring/rubber part. aka the pulley is one part of tensionr assy. often it's easier to replace both, but do belts 1st

Old 01-08-2019, 09:27 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
I am having a similar issue too. Last year or so I discovered a high pitch sound and it would happen when it's moist and cool out. I would start my car, go to the store and get some food, come back home and chill for a few hours, go start the car and go to work.

When I'd start the car for the second time, I would hear a squeaking sound, it would eventually go away. So I changed the tensioner with an OEM MotorCraft part, I also installed a continental belt (it's like the old gatorback belts). From time to time the squeaking high pitch sound would be present but it wasn't as loud. Then my water pump went out and I thought the water pump was the problem. So after the water pump was replaced, the sound was still there. Now I think it's my alternator.

So I made a video so I could take it to the dealership to show the tech. and I uploaded the video on YouTube and I am providing a link. So have a listen and let me, us, know if it's similar to what you are hearing.

In the video, of course my engine kinda sounds like a diesel lol, but after the four second mark, you begin to hear a higher pitch sound and in my opinion, it could be a bearing squeal.

I have till March (when my powertrain runs out) to take it in and I'll keep you guys posted when/if possible.

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

I am having a similar issue too. Last year or so I discovered a high pitch sound and it would happen when it's moist and cool out. I would start my car, go to the store and get some food, come back home and chill for a few hours, go start the car and go to work.

When I'd start the car for the second time, I would hear a squeaking sound, it would eventually go away. So I changed the tensioner with an OEM MotorCraft part, I also installed a continental belt (it's like the old gatorback belts). From time to time the squeaking high pitch sound would be present but it wasn't as loud. Then my water pump went out and I thought the water pump was the problem. So after the water pump was replaced, the sound was still there. Now I think it's my alternator.

So I made a video so I could take it to the dealership to show the tech. and I uploaded the video on YouTube and I am providing a link. So have a listen and let me, us, know if it's similar to what you are hearing.

In the video, of course my engine kinda sounds like a diesel lol, but after the four second mark, you begin to hear a higher pitch sound and in my opinion, it could be a bearing squeal.

I have till March (when my powertrain runs out) to take it in and I'll keep you guys posted when/if possible.

CycloneS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:36 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

no, your squeak is something that's on every 3.7 and nobody, even ford, knows what it is. I've got the same noise. It's very weird and goes away when you give it gas. It's only at idle. seriously, NOBODY has any idea what that is, and everyone has it lol
Old 01-09-2019, 04:51 AM   #19
RBK
Registered Member
Regular

I had a 2012 3.7 up until a few months ago and it never had that kind of noise. Try taking off the serpentine belt and starting it up, see if the noise goes away, if it does it has to be one of the items like the alternator or AC compressor. If you still hear it you have bigger problems.
A trick my father taught me years ago was to put the end of a screwdriver on the part you think is making noise, say for example the alternator, put your ear on the handle of the screwdriver and you will be able to hear the bearing. Now there is always some noise but if the bearing is bad you will be able to tell as it makes all kind of noise. Of course, the engine has to be running so be careful. Try to get the blade of the screwdriver close to the front bearing and then move it close to the rear bearing. You may want to try this first on a car with no problems so you can identify what a good bearing sound like.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:09 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

Here is a video kinda like what RBK is talking about. I hope this helps!

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

Here is a video kinda like what RBK is talking about. I hope this helps!
C/S Spoiler, JLT Catch Can, Airaid Modular Intake Tube w/ Ford emblem, AFE Pro-Dry Air Filter, Polyurethane Swaybar Bushings front and rear, LED Interior lights, LED License Plate bulbs, LED Reverse Lights
TCU-6612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:46 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Tensioner and S-belt replacement would be cheap insurance. Solved a similar squeak on my car and took all of 30 mins to replace.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:28 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

A quick update for ya'll.

I decided to replace my drive belt from the Continental back to Motorcraft (JK6553). It appears my weird noise (watch the previous YT video I posted on here) has gone away.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:31 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, glad to hear it. As preventative maintenance when I replaced the belt I did the idler pulley at the same.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:09 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I should probably mention that when I compared the old belt to the new Motorcraft, the Motorcraft appeared to be stiffer and thicker. I will chime in, in the future and keep you guys updated if I start hearing the squeak noise.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang