Getting close to 30k miles... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-03-2019, 08:59 AM   #1

Region: New Jersey
Getting close to 30k miles...

So, my Stang is a 2014 (manufactered May 2013) and she's finally nearing 30k miles lol obviously I don't drive her much, especially since I have a work truck. So, i'm at like 28k right now. Being that the car is going to be 6 years old too, what should I really look at in terms of maintenace for 30k? I change the oil once a year, which is only at like 2500 miles. I've had the rear seal go bad and Ford changed it out, so since they drained it they put new in. What else am I really looking at for around 30k and this age of the car? Keep in mind I'm not that great at working on cars...sure I can change my own oil and I've done exhaust on it, but I'm still nervous about breaking stuff lol.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2019, 10:57 AM   #2

Region: Washington
Do you still have your owner’s manual? All of them have a maintenance schedule in the back that shows what things Ford suggests doing at various mileage intervals.
Read the list, and you can choose what you think needs to be done, or you can surrender to your Ford dealer and just tell them to do the 30,000 mile service when your car gets there.
Sometimes just “doing” the 30K service package at the dealer is going to be cheaper than picking and choosing off the list, and paying the resulting full labor charges.
Here is a pretty good article that offers opinions/answers to your question:
https://www.americanmuscle.com/2011-...nce-guide.html
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:25 AM   #3
Staff
Staff

Region: Europe
Lol my 2000 GT is at 37k.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2019, 06:56 AM   #4

Region: Other
Read. Your. Manual.
jkeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeaton View Post
Read. Your. Manual.

That’s usually expressed as an acronym with an “F” in it.....thank you for your restraint....lol....
Old 02-04-2019, 01:17 PM   #6

Region: Arizona
You've surely changed the engine air filter, but what about the cabin air filter. It's very easy to change and you can get an activated carbon filter that will filter out pollen from Rock Auto. (www.rockauto.com)
kipschitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post

That’s usually expressed as an acronym with an “F” in it.....thank you for your restraint....lol....
RTFM.....very familiar...
Old 02-04-2019, 06:25 PM   #8

Region: California
I wish our 14 only had 30k on it. We have over 86k now. You drive em, you wear em out. Sure has been a great car.
Like has been said above. I'm a strong believer in preventive maintenance. I change our cabin air filter every year at the beginning of spring. I change oil every 5k. Have you had the differential vent updated? Have you had the radiator tank coolant check valve hose updated per the tech bulletins? Other than that you need to drive it so it doesn't dry up and crack. Oh yah- flush the brake fluid and the same with the coolant, it's getting old.

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

I wish our 14 only had 30k on it. We have over 86k now. You drive em, you wear em out. Sure has been a great car.
Like has been said above. I'm a strong believer in preventive maintenance. I change our cabin air filter every year at the beginning of spring. I change oil every 5k. Have you had the differential vent updated? Have you had the radiator tank coolant check valve hose updated per the tech bulletins? Other than that you need to drive it so it doesn't dry up and crack. Oh yah- flush the brake fluid and the same with the coolant, it's getting old.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:02 AM   #9
Staff
Staff

Hey I'm all about ppl keeping their cars low mileage. Will let me grab a garage queen 11/12 A6 for cheaps when I get back from overseas... if I come back lol. I kinda like Europe...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:45 AM   #10

Yeah, I'm hoping for a lightly loved 18/19 Bullitt in the next year or two.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordwhite View Post
Yeah, I'm hoping for a lightly loved 18/19 Bullitt in the next year or two.
It will be very interesting to see what the used car prices are on those in a couple of years. I am betting that the green ones hold up much better than the black ones.......I wonder what the take rate is on the black ones compared to the green ones, and if the person who buys a black one even knows who Steve McQueen is.....lol.....
Old 02-09-2019, 08:35 AM   #12

Region: New Jersey
first thing, for the smartasses crying "read your manual," i posted this here for advice from fellow owners due to the AGE of the car, NOT the mileage. it's going to be 6 years old with not even 30k, so i wanted all of your opinions on anything else BESIDES the typical 30k stuff that can go bad with AGE.

thanks to all the non-smartasses who actually replied with something helpful guard, thanks for the link, good stuff. and kip, yep i've changed the cabin air filter maybe a year or two ago now
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:09 PM   #13

Age limitations are specified in the manual as well if you would read it.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
first thing, for the smartasses crying "read your manual," i posted this here for advice from fellow owners due to the AGE of the car, NOT the mileage. it's going to be 6 years old with not even 30k, so i wanted all of your opinions on anything else BESIDES the typical 30k stuff that can go bad with AGE.

thanks to all the non-smartasses who actually replied with something helpful guard, thanks for the link, good stuff. and kip, yep i've changed the cabin air filter maybe a year or two ago now
Sounds like somebody needs their wooby and a nap.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:26 AM   #15

Region: Connecticut
The owners manual has all the pertinent information in it including age. JUST READ IT.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:19 PM   #16

Region: Iowa
If it's an auto I would strongly suggest dropping the tranny pan, clean it out good, and replace 6 qts of quality fluid. I did that on mine at 25k and there was break-in fibers on the magnet. The number one thing people neglect is the tranny. I'm at 55k and will be doing that again this summer while adding a new filter.
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:04 AM   #17

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
If it's an auto I would strongly suggest dropping the tranny pan, clean it out good, and replace 6 qts of quality fluid. I did that on mine at 25k and there was break-in fibers on the magnet. The number one thing people neglect is the tranny. I'm at 55k and will be doing that again this summer while adding a new filter.
+1 on this. I needed to have mine partially rebuilt at 51k, though that was likely due to a workmanship issue or dealer service dept abuse (I dumped that dealer). My 2013 is at 87k now, and I'm thinking of doing just what Hawkstang suggests when the tranny shop sends one of their coupons.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:41 AM   #18

Region: Oregon
You can do PH check on your coolant, change rear end gear oil and trans fluid.

My 2014 is at 46xxx miles and I recently did the manual trans oil and rear end oil. My coolant is doing good (used PH test strips and I am doing good enough) but summer of 2020 I will do a flush and change the upper and lower hose with the thermostat. At around 36k, my water pump went out and FORD fixed it and added fresh coolant to the system, so ya.

I took mine to the dealership and had them do a 30k inspection.

Also check out this link from American Muscle.
CycloneS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 04:29 PM   #19
Staff
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneS197 View Post
You can do PH check on your coolant, change rear end gear oil and trans fluid.

My 2014 is at 46xxx miles and I recently did the manual trans oil and rear end oil. My coolant is doing good (used PH test strips and I am doing good enough) but summer of 2020 I will do a flush and change the upper and lower hose with the thermostat. At around 36k, my water pump went out and FORD fixed it and added fresh coolant to the system, so ya.

I took mine to the dealership and had them do a 30k inspection.

Also check out this link from American Muscle.
PH test on oil and coolant? For real?

Also American Muscle is a bunch of asshats... They might have a decent maintenance guide they got from somewhere but the maintenance guide is already in the owner's manual...

Old 10-17-2019, 06:26 PM   #20

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
PH test on oil and coolant? For real?

Also American Muscle is a bunch of asshats... They might have a decent maintenance guide they got from somewhere but the maintenance guide is already in the owner's manual...
They copied it from the Owner's Manual Scotty
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, 14" Brembo Front Brakes, 13.8 GT500 Rear W/O Backing plates.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:59 AM   #21

@scottydsntknow ... just a little? you live in one of the best places in Spain and Europe, good weather, lots of partying, pretty women, cheaper ..... but .... an A6? Really ?, is the Renault of the Germans, although they have managed to position it well in the market.
Pelayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 02:00 AM   #22
Staff
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelayo View Post
@scottydsntknow ... just a little? you live in one of the best places in Spain and Europe, good weather, lots of partying, pretty women, cheaper ..... but .... an A6? Really ?, is the Renault of the Germans, although they have managed to position it well in the market.
Not an Audi A6, a 1st generation 6 speed automatic Coyote. Although I wouldn't say no to a nice Audi over here...

And there is a lot of partying here, legit the hottest women I have EVER seen IRL, it is cheap to live here and after living here I never want to live somewhere where there is winter again.

Old 10-18-2019, 05:30 AM   #23

Quote:
Not an Audi A6, a 1st generation 6 speed automatic Coyote. Although I wouldn't say no to a nice Audi over here...

And there is a lot of partying here, legit the hottest women I have EVER seen IRL, it is cheap to live here and after living here I never want to live somewhere where there is winter again.
OK , iF Its a coyote, i don`t say anything. I undesrtand that you would refer to an Audi A6
I would also like it... and a predator too
Old 10-18-2019, 08:07 AM   #24

Region: Oregon
scottydsntknow, sorry I guess it came out a little confusing. I only PH test the coolant. I don't know if you can PH test oils hahahahaha. I guess you can take oils/lubricants and send them to a lab to be tested but I haven't done that and don't plan on doing so anytime soon.
CycloneS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:35 AM   #25

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneS197 View Post
scottydsntknow, sorry I guess it came out a little confusing. I only PH test the coolant. I don't know if you can PH test oils hahahahaha. I guess you can take oils/lubricants and send them to a lab to be tested but I haven't done that and don't plan on doing so anytime soon.
Actually PH Testing of the oil normally will come up Acidic especial if you do a lot of short drives where the oil doesn't get hot enough to burn out all the gas and moisture. Living in high moisture area like where you are in one of the largest Rainforests in the US or where I am with the 70 degree dew points for most of the summer short drives are a killer on vehicles.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, 14" Brembo Front Brakes, 13.8 GT500 Rear W/O Backing plates.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 03:50 PM   #26
Staff
Staff

PH testing any fluid is a waste of your money. Change at a regular interval and you will be fine.

Old 10-28-2019, 07:50 AM   #27

Quote:
PH testing any fluid is a waste of your money. Change at a regular interval and you will be fine.

+1

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang